1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Barrel Kaboom - 9mm- Manufacturer Reply

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Unsingle, Dec 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

Well, I heard from Lone Wolf Distributors, the maker of the barrel. For your information, I paid 124.95 for the barrel and 14.95 for the barrel thread protector. Here is their reply:

"Our armory department has inspected and performed a hardness test to ensure the materials and machining were up to spec with your barrel (LWD-34TH) that you returned to us. This barrel suffered a squib load, which is when a round gets lodged in the chamber and does not exit and another round is fired. If this occurs in a Glock factory barrel, it will usually destroy the gun and harm the shooter. We are glad your LWD barrel absorbed the shock and you were unharmed. We, out of courtesy, to get you back shooting, would like to extend a replacement barrel to you at cost ($79.95)."

Well, I was afraid that would be their reply, but remember; I was shooting slowly, sighting in the handgun, accounting for every shot, and using new Winchester white box ammunition. I did not notice any problems with any of the shots prior to the barrel splitting. Now I am sandwiched between Lone Wolf Distributors and Winchester ammunition, with probably no chance of getting a replacement barrel for free. Could there have been a squib load, possibly, crap happens when shooting.

Is their offer fair? I don’t know, but I certainly don’t have any faith in their company anymore. Any suggestions or write it up to “you get what you pay for”?

2. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

seems they are trying. hard to imagine a unobstructed barrel splitting. how was the split located, closer to muzzle or chamber? I have seen .22 lr target barrels bulge from a patch being left behind. sorry about your luck but if you thought enough to spend 125 on the first barrel 80 for a replacement doesn't sound to bad.

3. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

If you are a seasoned pistol shooter you would definitely know when you have a squib load. Very little recoil and the report is noticably different sounding. Forget their offer tell them you want your old barrel back. If you get the barrel back check it all over for a tiny creater mark/marks, if they did check the hardness.

4. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Wouldn't think the gun would cycle if a round was so light it stuck in the barrel. I shot a lot of IPSC and once had an occasion where a 45 reload stuck in the barrel on a load from Mike Dillon's first model progressive loader. I immediately brought the gun down without firing again (to a chorus of stop, don't shoot from those near by!).

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

You got screwed. If the round got stuck in the chamber, the damage would have been much more catastrophic, and wouldn't have caused the MUZZLE to split.

If they aren't going to give you a new barrel, I would request my old one back for independent testing, after all, the split barrel is STILL YOUR PROPERTY. If they refuse, that says a lot.

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

'Most likely if the bullet lodged in the 'chamber' the following round would have failed to chamber...

7. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Not that you have enough rounds on it to tell, but if you liked the barrel, I would probably just shell out the 80 bucks for the replacement. If you feel that you are unhappy with them in any way, then spend the money on a different brand. You will probably spend a lot more for a name brand replacement barrel so 80 bucks really isn't bad. That us just a couple of boxes of ammo. And you will not likely get a better offer from them, even if things get ugly.

Also, one possibility is that the barrel was not tapered properly on the mandrel. If it necked down at the muzzle end (on the inside) and was out of spec, that could cause the split that you had. Difficult to prove once the barrel left your posession. No matter what, 80 bucks is probably the cheapest you would get off paying.

8. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

A squib load is impossible not to notice, just as has been stated. There would be no recoil and the gun would not cycle. If you were accounting for every shot how could you not notice?

If they won't trade even for a new one I would demand the barrel back.

I like the Glock factory barrels. They are easier to clean.

9. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Did you not scope or run a rod down the barrell before you sent it to them?

10. TOOLMAKER 251

DaveP, in order for the barrel to be taken from the slide the owner had to hacksaw the barrel past the split end. I am sure he looked down both pieces.

11. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

Unsingle, having a lot of experience over the years examining blown up pistol barrels, and seeing a few happen live in person, I have to agree with the factory on this one. It's unusual to have a problem with factory ammo but not impossible and certainly not unheard of. Somewhere I have a picture of a barrel with the bullet sticking out, just barely stuck in the barrel, another flake of powder and the bullet would have dropped at the guys feet.

It didn't have to be a complete bullet stuck, a separated jacket or any piece of the bullet stuck could cause this.

I found this pic of a UMC factory 9mm bullet stuck in a Glock barrel.

ccw1911_2008_0303.jpg

12. TOOLMAKER 251

While were on the topic of squibs this picture is 4 squibs taken from 1 barrel, all piggy backed. I had to make a drill bushing up to drill the center of the bullets then open the bushing for a pulley tap to tap each bullet. The bullets were jacked out with a 1/4"-20 all thread. The gun was a Colt single action army in 45 Colt and the shooter loaded 250 gr. jacketed bullets using a 250 gr. cast lead load, not enough pressure to launch the bullets out the barrel. The owner is a trapshooter that some of you know, but I took a avow of silence.
    toolmaker251_2008_030382.jpg

13. TOOLMAKER 251

This other gun is another 45 Colt chambering in a S&W only this guy did just the opposite, way too hot of a reload and it required him to seek medical attention when the top strap came back and hit him in the forehead. The rest of the missing cylinder is still in the drop ceiling at a SE Pa. indoor range. It makes a nice conversation piece now.
    toolmaker251_2008_030383.jpg

14. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

What is considered "premium ammo" for .45 or 9mm? The equivalent of STS or Nitro 27 shotshells? I've shot all kinds of ammo thru my HK USP and never had a problem feeding or shooting. But I am curious about a comment someone made about the Winchester boxes at Walmart being crappy ammo and possibly contributing to the problem with this barrel.

15. Eric XT

Eric XT TS Member

Have you posted this on glocktalk.com? I believe Lone Wolf is a sponsor there so if you post this on glocktalk and email Lone Wolf the link maybe you'll have better luck.

16. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

we are glad you weren't injured. I have seen some nasty pictures of blown up handguns.

17. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

JerryP, it's very difficult to explain but a semiauto can cycle with a squib. It's rare and I know the mechanics make it seem impossible but it has happened.

18. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Did you have the barrel hardness tested and inspected by a local gunsmith before sending it to the factory like I suggested? Because you're not likely to get it back.

19. kfbagt

kfbagt Member

Hmm, handgun blew up in my hand and I want to argue over getting a free barrel back or paying half price from the company that just sold me a barrel that blew up? I think I'd go buy myself a factory barrel and stop by confession on the way. Am I the only one who thinks this conversation is crazy?

I have only owned one flock which I shot in competition for about a year. It shot great 1000% factory. No aftermarket parts needed.

I'm being serious, I'd just be thankful I didn't lose my hand or get parts in my face. Stick with factory components.

Paul

20. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

It's silly to cast dispersions about a barrel company you know nothing about. I'd say that they offered him a replacement at a deep discount is pretty good of them. It would be nicer if they just gave him a new one but I can see both sides.

You guys talking about how hard the barrel should be? what do you think it should be on the rockwell C scale? And what do you base that on, have you designed and tested pistol barrels? I didn't think so.

I know this because I've seen it, when a factory Glock barrel lets go it is much worse than this. My gunsmith says it's because the factory Glock barrel is very hard on the outside and relatively soft on the inside. I know we tried a file on the outside of a Glock factory barrel and it just slide off, wouldn't touch it. He ground some off of it on a grinding wheel and the underneath would file pretty easily. This is why the factory Glock barrel is so distructive when it lets go. Replacement barrels and most other factory barrels are not made that way, they are the same hardness all the way thru. According to my gunsmith. Glock slides are the same way, I watched my LGS machine a Glock slide for different sights, it nearly burned up a carbide bit before it broke into the softer metal underneath.

There is a good reason to use an aftermarket barrel in a Glock, so you can shoot lead bullets without worrying about a Kabooom which is well known to happen with lead bullets in a Glock espcecially the 40 cal.

Merry Christmas

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.