1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Barrel Heat

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tomc66, Aug 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomc66

tomc66 Member

As the barrel of a shotgun heats up from shooting numerous rounds, does the this effect the shot pattern?

2. edthearcher

edthearcher Member

I would say no, but after 50 rounds I cant even touch my barrel till it cools of

3. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Why don't you do some patterning and post the results? The proof is "in the pudding!"

AndyH ;-)

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

tomc66- The answer to your question theoretically is yes. The POI must move. I did test the POI on my doubles gun several years ago. I check the POI of both barrels before and after shooting 50 pair of practice doubles on a hot Summer afternoon. POI was tested from a bench at 13 yards. I could find no measurable change in POI, but the degree of accuracy of my measurements was about 1/2 inch. If they did change POI, it was so small that I could not detect it with my system.

Pat Ireland

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I can't imagine that pattern (percent, distribution, and so on) would be measurably affected. The POI may be, but not very often. All barrels move a bit, a very few, a lot; so much you can measure it.

Neil

6. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Well, it does affect shot placement when I accidentally touch the barrel with my index finger as I call for the bird. No doubt about that.

While barrel temps clearly affect rifle POI, I doubt if the sloppy tolerances of a shotgun barrel change with temperature.

7. 686beretta

686beretta TS Member

I took a Frank Hoppe clinic in the spring he told us of a K-80 he had that after 50 rounds the POI changed.

8. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

The affects of heat risers would be the biggest issue. One time shooting practice doubles a guy I know wanted to switch guns with me because he wanted to shoot my Citori (high rib), I shot his Stoeger O/U (I don't want to bash his gun, it really wasn't to bad of a shooter). I shot surprisingly well with it but, by the time I got halfway thru my fourth post I was ready to give it back. The heat risers were bad, sight plane looked like an Arizona Highway in mid August. Sometime I'm gonna shoot some barrel temps with my infered heat gun I use on bearings. I'm curious now about your posts. The heat from a round or two of trap is nothing to what that steel can take. Great post. I'll post some temps in another post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.