Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrel Heat

2K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Spanky 
#1 ·
As the barrel of a shotgun heats up from shooting numerous rounds, does the this effect the shot pattern?

#4 ·
tomc66- The answer to your question theoretically is yes. The POI must move. I did test the POI on my doubles gun several years ago. I check the POI of both barrels before and after shooting 50 pair of practice doubles on a hot Summer afternoon. POI was tested from a bench at 13 yards. I could find no measurable change in POI, but the degree of accuracy of my measurements was about 1/2 inch. If they did change POI, it was so small that I could not detect it with my system.

Pat Ireland

#6 ·
Well, it does affect shot placement when I accidentally touch the barrel with my index finger as I call for the bird. No doubt about that.

While barrel temps clearly affect rifle POI, I doubt if the sloppy tolerances of a shotgun barrel change with temperature.

#8 ·
The affects of heat risers would be the biggest issue. One time shooting practice doubles a guy I know wanted to switch guns with me because he wanted to shoot my Citori (high rib), I shot his Stoeger O/U (I don't want to bash his gun, it really wasn't to bad of a shooter). I shot surprisingly well with it but, by the time I got halfway thru my fourth post I was ready to give it back. The heat risers were bad, sight plane looked like an Arizona Highway in mid August. Sometime I'm gonna shoot some barrel temps with my infered heat gun I use on bearings. I'm curious now about your posts. The heat from a round or two of trap is nothing to what that steel can take. Great post. I'll post some temps in another post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.