1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Barrel fouling badly in Citori XS ported O/U's

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dan2116, Apr 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dan2116

dan2116 Member

Barrel fouling badly in Citori XS ported O/U

Has anyone experienced wad fouling problems with the new Citori XS skeet models that are ported. I was looking at purchasing one but there are two different members at my club ( one 20ga & one 12ga owner ) with both people having very bad issues with fouling in the barrels. I called Browning and the response was "we have not heard of any fouling problems" - go figure!! ). Thanks

2. Claydotter

Claydotter Active Member

I have an XS Skeet w/ 30`s. Lot`s of people here have the XT which is similar.
    If it was possible to get that gun ( or any gun ) without the ports , that`s what I would have done.
    I like the gun too much to worry about it.
    That being said, Let`s face it, you`re going to get some plastic fouling no matter what. Ports or no Ports , Claybuster wads or no Claybuster wads.
    Wd40 and lots of other stuff takes it right out.
    Don`t pass on the XS or XT because of the ports. They`re great guns in that price range.
    Regards, Pete

3. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

Cheap carburetor cleaner,,DO NOT get it on your wood,,,never seen anything remove plastic like carb. cleaner,,,,2.49 at the auto parts store,,,,you can thank me latter,,,,jim

4. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I don't get it. These are supposed to be chrome lined barrels. I've never been able to get my chrome lined barrels to retain any fouling.

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

For me, it was the wads I was using that caused a lot of plastic fouling. I use to reload a lot of claybuster wads up until a few years ago when I discovered DownRange wads. Problem solved. My plastic fouling is almost non exsistant these days.

A while back I needed some wads to reload for my 20ga and my normal supplier was out of factory (Remington) RXP wads. I got a bag of claybusters to tide me over until I could get some more RXP's.

Guess what, 4 rounds of skeet and I was pulling ribbons of plastic out of my choke tube. No more claybusters for this shooter. Life is too short for that kind of BS.

ss

6. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

some people never clean their guns.

7. dan2116

dan2116 Member

I have shot a lot of Claybuster wads in 12ga. over the years with no problems at all in non ported along with ported barreled guns (all Perazzi's though).I am going to dig deeper with the people that have the problem hear at my club.I have used Downrange wads in 12ga for trap and would not shoot them if they were given to me. Most all are undersized in diameter compared to Claybuster wads. Lots of people love the Downrange wads but I had a lot of trouble with soft ( bloopers ) in Federal Gold Medal hulls and changed the wad and no more trouble. Thank you all for your input.

8. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

The Citoris do NOT have chrome lined barrels. Only the chambers are chromed.

Easystreet

9. ctreay

ctreay Member

I shoot a Citori, my wife a BT100, both ported. I have loaded 17.5 gr of 700X and claybuster wads in Fed GM hulls for the last 5 years. We have NO plastic fouling in either gun. I do swab then out with a TICO tool after we shoot each day.

ctreay

10. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Fouling is for rifle shooters and basketball players. No need to worry about a shotgun barrel fouling. At least not a Beretta. I NEVER clean my 303 barrels and i mean NEVER.

11. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

I have both a 20 ga XS and a 12 ga XS. I use Ed's Red after every outing and do not have fouling issues.

12. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I switched to Green and Blue Dusters about twenty years ago, and have never had plastic build up in ported and non-ported barrels. Wayne

13. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

No fouling for me either. Fixed chokes, tubes ports nothing, Claybusters since I discovered them. My old weatherby did foul some choke tubes although it was easy to clean them out.

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

My friend Average Ed has written articles about the relationship between the shape of the choke and plastic residue in the choke. His ideas sound reasonable to me.

OICU812- Yes, you can buy a small can of cheap carburetor cleaner (acetone)for $2.50. You can also buy a very small bottle of fingernail polish remover (acetone) for $3.00. Or you can buy a gallon of acetone for $6.00 at Wall Mart. They are the same thing.

Pat Ireland

15. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

As Pat said, I was taught by Stu Wright that choke profile has as much or more to do with plastic fouling than the wads. When my Krieghoff was collecting plastic in the choke tube at the Grand, he gave me one of his tubes with the same constriction and sent me the practice trap to shoot 100 of the same loads I had shot in that morning's event. No fouling could be found and I have used Claybuster, Downrange and Remington wads with Wright's chokes in numerous Berettas, Krieghoffs and Remingtons since then with no visible fouling.

Chokes with a lot of parallel have shorter tapered sections. As the taper becomes shorter, the more abrupt and likely to scub plastic from the wads it becomes.

Ed

16. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

Pat,,I just think the spray can is convenient,,,and nothing gets wasted,,,

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

OICU812- Are you saying that you are not willing to carry a gallon can of acetone in your shooting bag to save a few dollars?

Pat Ireland

18. quartering

quartering Active Member

i'd suspect the load before i would the gun barrel as the cause of your concern. see what the other guys are shooting. some people seem to enjoy cleaning their guns as much, or more than, breaking clays! i don't. i shoot about 300 rounds a week and clean my gun twice a year, just out of guilt. but i shoot clays and downrange's which is an exceptionally clean combination. and i think that browning was being straight up with you. good luck with it

19. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I've put alot of shells through my BT-99, Citori Trap and Beretta Urika Trap and Sportings with no fouling issues. I use factory Remingtons and Claybusters exclusivly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.