1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Barrel Fitting

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by broadway, Mar 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. broadway

broadway Member

I am considering purchasing a set of over/under barrels for my Beretta 686 single barrel. I WILL have a gunsmith fit the barrels but what exactly is involved in fitting a set of over under barrels to a receiver?

Thanks

2. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

For someone to give ALL of the details....my fingers would cramp up trying to type.

Here's a summary.....

The bbl gets fitted to the receiver first. This fitting ensures that the breech face of the bbl makes as close to 100% contact with the receiver's breech face.
    With contact made, the bbl also needs to be stting deep enough.

Once the bbl is in the correct position, the locking bolt gets fitted to the two corresponding holes in the bbl. The headspace is now checked. With a new bbl, the rim cut area may need to be deepened slightly for the "GO GUAGE" to close. If the package is showing too much headspace(gun closes on the "NO-GO GUAGE), oversize joint roll pins/hinge pins, will need to be installed to push the bbl back enough to correct the headspace problem.

Now the forend gets fitted....first without the wood. A new bbl may have enough material on the back of the forend lug to allow for a tight/snug fit of the forend. A used bbl's forend lug my come up short of material. In this case, the back of the lug needs a weld build-up.

With the forend iron fitting properly and the ejectors timed, the wood is then installed. BBl diameters vary, if only minimully, so the wood may fit around the bbl's or it may not. On Berettas, though it shouldn't be the case, the forend wood like to influence the ejector timing, so the timing gets adjusted one more time.

The whole process can vary from 45 minutes to a couple of hours. New bbl's are generally not a problem. Used bbl's can, especially if someone has tried to fit them to another gun, and did it poorly.

Doug Braker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

barrel fitting overunder