Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrel fitting on Beretta 682's

6K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  2500 HD 
#1 ·
Barrel fitting on Beretta 682

What needs to be done to have a barrel fitted to a receiver on a 682 Beretta. I have 2 682's, a trap top single 32" and a sporting 30" o/u. What I would like to do is be able to put the o/u barrels on both reciever's. I rarely shoot trap doubles, but would like to once in awhile. Is it possible to mate them for both receiver's or should I just switch stocks when I want to shoot doubles. I shoot both skeet and trap on the same night at our club every week. Thanks Ken

#3 ·
I would just use the Sporting gun as is to shoot the occasional trap doubles.

I have a 682 combo set 34" top single w/ 30" doubles and a 682 sporter 30" barrels. The two O/U barrel ribs are different, the trap O/U is taller. You may end up with your eye too high above the sporting barrel using the trap receiver and/or stock. This will cause the gun to shoot very high.

Jason

#4 ·
What do you adjust? The O/U barrel when installed on the trap receiver fits too tight so that the lever will not snap shut (stays way to the right). The top single barrel when installed on the Sporting receiver seems to close ok. Can the adjustments be made in the locking pins, hinge pin, or where ? Thanks Ken.

#7 ·
While you can, say, fit the sporting clays barrel to the trap gun receiver (fitting locking pin, barrel lug, and adjusting ejector timing if necessary), then the sporting clays barrel may well not work properly on the sporting clays receiver any more. Same goes if you would try to fit the trap barrel to the sporting clays receiver. Beretta barrels often need very little fitting to go on another receiver, but if any adjustments are needed, then that set of barrrels will not fit its original receiver unless you are lucky enough that both barrels just happen to work perfectly with both receivers in the first place.

Jim R

#8 ·
What Jim R said +1

As I understand it, modifications are done to the bbls - not the receiver They may have to move the surface where the hinge pins mate up, they may have to machine the surfaces at the bbl shoulders or recoil lugs, and they may have to mess with the tips of the ejectors to get the ejectors timed. If any of those have to be done then they will not fit up to a second receiver.

From what I understand from reading Coles website and talking to others, there is no way to know once a set of bbls has been fit to a receiver if they can be fit to another receiver. For example if the ejectors have to have material added to the tips to get correct timing, that could be an expensive proposition - and they would now be out of time on the original receiver.

FWIW, Coles advises that even if you think they fit, they may not and you could be doing damage to something.

#9 ·
What you would have to do is pull the locking bolt from both guns and check which nuber oversize is highest then replace the lowest size number with the higher number oversize so that the locking bolts in both receivers match. Then the locking holes on the single barrel would have to be opened up to fit the oversized locking bolt(s). I would advise having a professional smith do this work.

Sounds like a lot of trouble to get you where you want to go but you would gain alot of versatility and have a very good backup option(s).

#10 ·
That is excactly the info I was looking for. Thank you all very much. I am gonna leave well enough alone. If I feel the need to try anything I will just swap the stocks from one receiver to the other. That is easy enough to do and may only happen a couple of times a year. Thank you Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.