1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Barrel Diameter Rem 1100?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by loophole, Nov 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loophole

loophole TS Member

What's the barrel diameter of a Rem 1100?

2. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

usually about .728 up to about .735 but there were a few that were about .739 motordoc

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

What gauge? Internal or external? If internal, I have 12-gauge barrels that measure between .727" (standard for Remington) and .745" (mid-80s "Target" barrels). Today, they do not make a 12-gauge barrel over .730" ID.

Ed

4. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

Ed, I thought those new Competition 1100's had .735 barrels....

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Well, I honestly don't know about them. A few years ago, I bought a 1994-vintage 870TC that was in nearly unfired condition for my son. While the "Target" barrel on my 1980 TC measures .745", Jason's has a .733" bore so I called Remington about obtaining a .745" barrel. The gentleman with whom I spoke called back to say than .730" was all he could find in inventory and that he was told they don't make any over that bore diameter any longer.

But perhaps that only applies to 870s?

Ed

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The standard bore 1100's (Rem Chokes) have a nominal barrel diameter of .727".

The Pro-Bore 1100's (Pro Bore choke) have a bore diameter of .735". This is an overbored barrel, and requires larger diameter choke tubes.

The out of production factory backbored barrels open up to a nominal .745", but then taper down to a nominal .727" just before the choke tubes, which are Rem Chokes. But because there is a built in bore reduction just before the choke tubes of .018" (which is effectively a mod choke) this barrel uses specially marked choke tubes that take that step into account. If you screwed in a regular .018" mod choke, you'd have to add its constriction to the existing .018" step, making the total .036", which is a full choke. If you screwed the special TRAP FULL choke into a regular barrel, it would pattern like a mod choke (.036" minus .018" = .018"). Confusing? At first, until you try the math a couple of times.

7. mikeinmich

mikeinmich Member

For Brian in Oregon: I have an 870 target barrel. Is the TRAP FULL choke a cylinder bore in this barrel?

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Ozbud, what is the bore on your target barrel? It will either be .727" all the way, or .745" tapering to .727" just before the choke tubes.

The chokes for the .745" to .727" backbored barrel are labeled FULL TRAP, EXTRA FULL TRAP, and SUPER FULL TRAP.

If you use the FULL TRAP choke in a straight .727" barrel, it will have .018" of restriction, so it will be like using a mod choke. (Actually the Remington website says it is a .013" choke. See the link. Mine measured. .018")

The trap chokes for the non-backbored .727" trap barrel are labeled SINGLES, MID HANDICAP and LONG HANDICAP so as to avoid confusion with the chokes for the backbored barrel.

9. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Actually the Trap Full choke was .732 which equates to a Skeet choke in the regular .727 barrel. The Trap Extra Full equated to a Mod choke if used in a regular barrel. The URL has the choke dimensions. ...Bob_K...

10. mikeinmich

mikeinmich Member

Thanks guys for the URL and the info. You have answered my question..........And yes I have the backbored barrel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
1100 od of standard barrel
outside diameter of remington 1100 barrel

remington 1100 bore diameter

remington 1100 full choke barrel diameter
remington 1100 mod barrel diameter
remington 1100external barrel diameter
remington bore diameters for 20 gauge 1100
what is the outside diameter of a 12 ga barrel