1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Barrel dents and removal, pictures and more

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by kirbythegunsmith, Feb 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kirbythegunsmith

kirbythegunsmith Member

I have continually been amused by some people having various notions about how to fix a multitude of problems afflicting an unfortunate shooter. One recent example had suggested that an out-of-round muzzle (dented) could be fixed with a tapered spud. Evidently they thought that such sufficient force to create a "rounding" effect couldn't/wouldn't also make a "funneling" effect.

I decided to show some correct tools and results applied.

Here is a trio of tools to cover the majority of sizes.

<a href="http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x109/kirbythegunsmith/shotgun/?action=view&current=dentraisersJPGcrop.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Here is a Belgian 20 ga. muzzle in need of correction.

<a href="http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x109/kirbythegunsmith/shotgun/?action=view&current=saive-10.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Here the muzzle is corrected to within .0005" size and roundness.

<a href="http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x109/kirbythegunsmith/shotgun/?action=view&current=s-dent4.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Anyone wishing to see more dent fixes that I posted can see this page of the "ring bulge" thread:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=130293&start=30

If you want to read the complete saga of a shooter that suddenly notices a ring bulge in his Browning Gold Hunter, the start is here:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=130293&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Notice that the shooter was utterly convinced that he had no blockage and therefore had been sold a defective barrel. Only later is the evidence of a defective shell presented, long after the notion of him missing something (even though he doesn't happen to look down the barrel) is repeatedly dismissed. A truly unfortunate set of circumstances all around, but laying blame without all of the possibilities being carefully examined is what we all blame gun-control proponents for doing, so let's not ever copy their bad ideas.

Kirby

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Thanks! I have a 12ga dent tool like in your photo, but haven't gotten around to smoothing the dent in a Win Model 24 barrel. Looks like a project to do here on a cold, rainy day.

3. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

Very interesting. I take it that those are sliding collets, next to the wooden grips, which are used to keep the tool centered. Is heat used on the dent? Is there a problem with stretching, and thining, the metal?

4. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Darn, you mean an ole hitchpin won't work?

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Would an out of round barrel result in an out of round pattern? I have never seen any tests directed toward this question.

Pat Ireland

6. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Pat, I'd always heard that the Russians had a choke for skeet that threw an elliptical pattern. May be urban legend.

7. sako2115

sako2115 TS Member

I believe that's a Tula choke???? Somebody???

8. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I shoot with a young man with a M 12 that was put into a vise and the barrel is noticeable smashed from the rib down. He didn't do it and is afraid to fix it. He shoots it quite well.

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The Israelis designed a spreader choke that threw an elliptical pattern. It was designed primarily for narrow corridors, such as hallways or the aisle of a bus. At one time you could get such a choke factory installed on the HK512 tactical shotgun.

10. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Claybrdr, The Russian choke was called the Tulie (sp?). It was/is essentially a jug choke which opens up to more than the bore diameter then reconstructs a bit at the end of the muzzle. It was named after a city in Russia where it was made or used. Apparently, a few Olympics ago, the Russians ruled with that choke in skeet. I have a Perazzi skeet barrel with Tulie chokes. I don't know about an elliptical pattern though.

Regards, Jake

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

removing dent from shotgun barrel