1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Barrel Cleaning

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Mike K P, Mar 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

I recently purchased a barrel that someone fired then let sit for some time. I did my conventional Hoppe's and 12ga brush but there is a small area that still looks dirty. I can't tell if it's lightly pitted or not. Does anyone have any suggestions to safely clean it more agressivley? Any product suggestions? Thanks, Mike Pracht.

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Take a 12 ga bore brush and wrap some 0000 steel wool around it. Stick it in you cleaning rod and put your rod in an electric drill. Add a little solvent or oil and just move the brush in and out for as long as it takes.

I use the furniture grade 0000 steel wool, because it is guaranteed not to have any coarser strands in it. Make sure to wrap the steel wool around the brush in the opposite direction the drill turns. You are not removing metal with this procedure.

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Four ought will not do much on a dirty barrel. If your barrel has a little surface crud, #1 steel wool will get it out. Then go to single ought.

When I do a barrel polish, I often start out with #2 and work it until I feel no rough spots. This generally takes about five to ten minutes. Then on down the line to single ought. You will need sunglasses to look down the bore. This makes a bore very easy to clean, and reduces wad fouling by a bunch.

I use H.B. Smith steel wool. It seems very soft and uniform. This is what a hardware store five minutes from my house stocks.

4. nipper

nipper TS Member

If your are "actually" using #1 your are removing more than plastic build up.

Bill

5. sako2115

sako2115 TS Member

Why not just cut up a piece of those "matic" pot scrubbing pads? I fear steel wool can and will work into areas where it can rust easily and cause pitting.

6. John Wall

John Wall TS Member

Dear Bill

I understand your concern.

I have spent time with My Unsingle barrel and Steel Wool. I have a barrel mike that goes to .0001". I have changed the barrel dimension less than .0001". If .0001" or so is removed from the bore, we are talking about toolmarks. I do not consider removing toolmarks altering the bore.

If you want to have fun, mike your bore when the gun has been out in the cold and write it down. Then, when you get the gun in the house and let it warm up for several hours, mike it again.

This summer, clean and mike it right after shooting a quick round. You might be surprised that it will change up to .0005" in diameter from temperature changes.

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have not changed the dimensions on any of my barrels using the Smith steel wool. I no longer polish my Skeet tubed barrels, but do not hesitate to take the toolmarks out of a new or customer's bore.

The Smith wool is soft and small. The #2 mikes .0008" and the four ought is less than .0001".

8. ChairborneRanger

ChairborneRanger Member

The best barrel cleaner I have ever found-----shotgun, rifle or pistol-----is GM Top Engine Cleaner. Removes EVERYTHING and available from "your local Chevy dealer."

9. sako2115

sako2115 TS Member

That GM stuff sounds useful; I would be afraid that it is very basic as is lye and can etch bluing etc.? Or is it petroleum based? Like to know more..

10. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I've used Tornado brushes. They work fantastic. One of the advertisers in Shotgun Sports has them for sale. Dave T.

11. bigben

bigben Active Member

Hard to beat" reds bore cleaner" recipe here on T. S., a 20 mm brass bore brush strapped to a rod and electric drill, non scratching and a mirror clean bore in 15 seconds! incinerate em!

12. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Dave, don't use the tornado brush until the loops wear through. It will mark your bbl. then.

Buz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.