1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Barrel Cleaning

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by shootsome, Nov 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shootsome

shootsome Member

How often do you have to clean the inside of your barrels to prevent corrosion and pitting?

Thanks,
    Shootsome

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

shootsome, that is a good question and I will tell you what I like to do. I like to clean my gun after every shoot. This is why, first- I live in a very high humidity area. This will allow mosture to collect in the powder residue inside the barrel. Second- I also shoot alot of Rio and Keman shells (economy type) and I am not sure whats in their Primers. Are they non-mercuric and non-corrosive like our Win AA's, or STS's are. Some of the over-sea type primers contain corrosive type mixtures. Better safe than sorry in my book. Also like to wipe down the metal with a gun wet-nap to coat against rust at the same time. I'm sure the type of climate you live, and the shells you use will vary. Hope this helps, and Break-em all. Jeff

3. mikee

mikee TS Member

A few seconds is all it takes to pull through a bore snake after shooting and I think it is a good idea.

4. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I clean it after each shooting session and as soon as I walk in the door. If I can't do a thorough job at the time, I'll run several patches wet with Ed's Red through the bore and then let it sit wet until I can get back to it.

A bore snake will make the bore look shiny but it won't remove the all the residue that traps and holds moisture against the metal. Pull the snake and then run some white patches wet with solvent through the bore and find out.

Morgan

5. 45er

45er TS Member

I've cleaned (for friends) many shotguns that I know haven't been cleaned in 10 years or more and there was powder residue in all of them when they were given to me for a once-over. I've NEVER seen any pitting in a barrel as long as the gun was kept in a dry place (even a gunslip in a closet). Only once did I see a problem and this was due to putting a Remington 1148 Sportsman in a gunslip WET after a duck hunt (what an idiot!)

I would also wager a large sum that one would have a hard time finding a shotshell on the market today in the U.S. that used corrosive components. Rio and Kemen darned sure don't!

I think cleaning your shotgun after each use is great, especially wiping off the metal parts and ensuring that dust and grit does not build up on metal-to-metal surfaces. But cleaning the bore is NOT necessary if the gun is stored in a dry gunslip, gun cabinet or gun safe.

6. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

I bought the one I shoot now about 7 years ago and so far it hasn't needed to have the barrel cleaned. The shot gets through just fine.

jim brown

7. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

45er, I'm referring to the components in the primer itself. I just bought some Nobel Sport primers, and not only a bit hard to get into the US hulls but nowhere on the 5000 case,1000 boxes or 100 sleeves can I find the words non-corrosive,I can on the boxes(on all Win,STS boxes). I have been told by some experienced veteran shooters at my local club that some of the Euro-primers are acidic and cheaper in price. The Nobles are about $60 plus cheaper than the US Primers per 5000. The Keman and Rio's are Euro-made but still don't know about their primers one way or the other. They are still good shells. I knew there would be shooters on both sides on this one. Break-em all. Jeff

8. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

Hard chrome plated barrels never rust.

9. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

<I>"I think cleaning your shotgun after each use is great... But cleaning the bore is NOT necessary if the gun is stored in a dry gunslip, gun cabinet or gun safe.</i>

If we all did only the things that were necessary, we would be limited to but a half-dozen activities each day. People often do things simply because they can justify doing them.

Morgan

10. 45er

45er TS Member

Capt. Morgan, I'm sure you have a good point in your post, but I just can't figure out what it is. Both sentences are absolutely true statements, but what does it have to do with the point I was trying to make? In fact, there are probably LESS THAN six things per day that are NECESSARY. OK? Now what?

Rob

11. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Breathe in, breathe out; food in, food out; water in, water out. Six!

The point was simply that I clean my barrel after each day's shooting simply because I think it should be done. I can also examine the barrel as I clean it. It may not be strictly necessary to the functioning of the gun but since I think it ought to be done, I do it.

Morgan

12. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Capt. Morgan.

That is exactly why I scratch my rear end. It doesn't do much good and the people around me don't seem to approve but I simply think it ought to be done, so I do it.

jim brown

13. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I throghhly clean both gun and barrels as soon as I get home from any shooting. Whether or not this is necccesary does NOT matter to me. It's how I learned over 40 years ago on how to take care of my firearms no matter what type and I'm sticking to it. Never sold a gun yet that was not commented on how well it was taken care of.

14. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

<I>"That is exactly why I scratch my rear end. It doesn't do much good and the people around me don't seem to approve but I simply think it ought to be done, so I do it."</i>

My point exactly! If it makes you fell good, do it. But there are also times when scratching one's butt IS an absolute necessity. I feel the same way about keeping my firearms clean.

Morgan

15. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

The font change was nuts!

Clean as needed and what more is there to say on this topic?

16. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Okay, here's a question for you cleaners:

I can Ed's Red/bronze brush on an electric drill for five minutes....swab the bore with a patch on a woolly...the bore looks pretty clean....Ed's Red/brush for another minute; and the next patch comes out black again!!!!

I don't think I've ever had a patch come out (of any of my shotguns) truly clean!!

How come???

17. 45er

45er TS Member

Gotcha Capt. Morgan! That was funny! Now - apologies to all the auto shooters out there. I am going to respectfully say I was wrong about barrel cleaning after each outing. I shoot mostly O/U's except for a Beretta XTrema at ducks and geese. I will stick with my original point on barrel cleaning O/U's - if it feels good, by all means do it, but it's really not necessary. For autoloaders, that's a different story. The build-up of plastic, powder and lead fowling right at the end of the chamber and forcing cone can cause jams in autoloaders, so it really might be a good idea to scrub these barrels after each outing. Not to prevent rust, pitting, etc., but to keep her from jamming.

To "Pull & Mark", if you do run across a type of primer that is corrosive, please post it. Rio's, Fiocchi's and Cheddites aren't, but by no means do I know all of the brands that may be out there. And you're certainly right about "better safe than sorry".

Rob

18. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

The need for meticulous barrel cleaning went away with the end of corrosive (chlorite) primers and the advent of plastic shot cups. With modern ammunition, anything less than 40 years old, a barrel is no dirtier after 1000 rounds than it was after the first 25 - gas vented barrels excepted.

19. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

<I>"I don't think I've ever had a patch come out (of any of my shotguns) truly clean!!

How come???"</I>

My theory is that we don't "wash" the accumulated deposits out of the bores, we just make them damp. At the insistence of a cranky platoon leader, I got a Remington 870 barrel REALLY clean once by scrubbing it with a bronze brush and a rod while holding it half-submerged in a half-barrel of 50/50 mineral spirits and diesel fuel. He sent a white patch through it when I was finished and all it got was wet! I just don't have the facilities to do that any more.

Morgan

20. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

As an old gunsmith, I clean my firearms like I clean a customer's. Thoroughly. I have investment grade firearms and probably overdo the cleaning routine.

The few self loading firearms I have are kept squeaky clean.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.