1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Barrel change? Savage 110

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kgp912kgp, Nov 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

Does anyone have info on cost, effectiveness, and labor of changing a barrel in a Savage 110? I would like to move it up to a larger size round for more distance. Any advice/input/story is greatly appreciated...

THANKS

2. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Just a suggestion, but I'd try to do a trade before I'd go this route. What caliber is it now, and what caliber are you wanting?

3. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

.223 to 30-06

4. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

That requires a bolt change, difference head dia...

223 needs a .378 while a .30-06 needs a .478...

think shell holder as to what you can change it to.. Grubby

5. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

Yes the bolt head from what I hear is changable as is the shell holder. For the price I got this for I don't mind spending a couple hundred bucks on a bigger caliber barrel and the other couple of parts required for the change. I really like the .223 but just weighing my options with this rifle

6. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Short action - long action.

Above is a site with some info about switching barrels on a 110.

7. epmn

epmn TS Member

I have a fair number of Savage centerfires and I don't know that any of them are wearing their original barrels anymore, and if they are the chamber has been changed to something else. It takes about 15 minutes to do a barrel swap and that includes bolting the clamp to the bench. It takes about five minutes to swap the bolt head. If you only doing the one barrel it isn't worth the cost, buy the barrel from one of several sellers and take it to a gunsmith for installation. If you plan to do it yourself you will need:

wrench for the lock nut, clamp to hold the barrel,go gauge for the new cartridge, new barrel, Bolt head assembly (Sharp Shooters Supply has them)

A new barrel runs $250+ new depending on who you buy from. Take off barrels show up regularly on Savageshooters.com in most of the common calibers. Since the barrel hasn't been removed yet it may take a bit longer to remove because some of the ones I have had seemed as though a gorilla tightened the lock nut.

8. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

Thanks RickN and epmn.

It is a long action.
    Which will make it easier than if I would have to change it from a short to a long?? I don't even know if that is possible.

9. valmet

valmet TS Supporters TS Supporters

about 10 yrs. ago i bought a CL110 (olderleft hand clip) in .243- with very pretty M/C walnut stock, found a like new .308 bbl on gun broker for under $100. had my smith change bbls. told him i wanted the head space perfect (took the open sites off and plugged). what a tackdriver. one of the best centerfire things i've ever done.-even with the plugged holes on the bottom of the bbl. dennis

still have the .243 bbl w/sites in my safe if interested.

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The Savage concept is one of the best things going. If I live long enough all my varmint rifles will be Savage, as the Remingtons leave.

There are a host of Youtube vids to see the process. Switchbarrel.com is the best site for basic knowledge, and Bergera Barrels has a couple vids on their site. They even show Remingtons converted to the lock nut system.

The only caveat is to be sure you have the recoil lug properly located, since that determines bolt position. Switchbarrel shows how to build a cheap vise out of scrap material that will do it.

I do believe Midway has bolt heads, too.

HM

11. 100straight

100straight Member

I have several Savage 16s and 116s, all stainless in both short and long action. I switch barrels around some, but when I get one shooting sub MOA I consider it done and leave it alone. They are so cheap I can play with them to work on accuracy without spending much. My most recent is a 116 CRF action rebarreled with a 21" Shilen heavy sporter contour barrel to .458WM. In a Hogue stock with a long eye relief scope, it is my current carry gun in bear country. I've got enough parts laying around to build 3 or 4 more. I just need to decide which calibers I want to play with next.

Mark.

12. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

What would be required other than the barrel, wrench, go no go gauges and a vise???

13. pitt4570

pitt4570 Member

brownells sells a kit by er shaw it comes with a nice wrench and headspace gauges i changed one over for a friend of mine the bbl nut is on good the wrench that comes with has a 3/8 drive wrench hole in it. make sure you strip the bolt of parts when you check the headspace to get the proper feel also a bbl vise is handy to have ted

14. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

You can buy a Shaw barrel with all the stuff you need for $199 from EABCO.com. They have 3 different contours available.

15. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

Will I need an new round/shell holder to insert in the stock?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.