1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Barrel bulge question /with picture

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hardage, Mar 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hardage

Hardage TS Member

Don't shoot it anymore until you have it looked at. I would call Briley mfg. and at least get a opinion. Doubtful that anyone will guarantee it will not let go at that point sometime in the future. Your front hand is not worth giving up to save money. Hand surgeries from trauma are very hard to rehabilatate from. Looks like your barrel saved your hand once so don't ask it too many more times! Be safe!

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Get a set of full length 20 guage tubes for it. HMB

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Damn i thought that only happened on cartoons. That is the first actual bulged barrel i have ever seen. Heard many stories but never proof. I think Hardage is right, the barrel already saved your butt once. It probably won't help many more times.

Matt

4. porky

porky TS Member

I believe that the barrel can be saved. I would think that they would put a barrel expander inside of it and then hammer lightly on the outside of the barrel using the barrel expander on the inside as the means to finding it's correct diameter. It really isn't much and I believe that any good gunsmith would so that for you. I've seen worse where the barrel was dented in and a gunsmith used a barrel expander to pop the dent out. You wouldn't even know that the barrel had been dented if you weren't told. I don't believe that this bulge will affect the integrity of the barrel.

5. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

Dang, I bet you felt sick when you found that, in my opinion that barrel is very fixable, any comptent barrel smith or good gunsmith should be able to iron that right out using pretty much the method described above. Bet Doug Braker can help with that one. DOUG?

Rick

6. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

How far down the bbl.is the bulge? The farther down, the lower the pressure,lesser the hazard.

7. butcher

butcher Member

I had two bulges I have blamed Winchester AA 's on. One on my Remington 3200 and the other on my wife's browning O/U sporting clay gun Needless to say Winchester can shove AA's where the sun don't shine.The bulge on the 3200 was about 4 inches above the forearm. Briley said they could sleve it and both Remington and Briley recommended not shooting it with the bulge. I had Money Maker put a barrel on the 3200 and sent the Browning in for new set of barrels.

8. mx2005

mx2005 TS Member

Give Kerry Allor a call 810-326-3943

9. porky

porky TS Member

Just get it to any good gunsmith and let him advise you. We can guess all you want, but a seasoned gunsmith can tell you right off.

10. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Damn lucky that thing didn't send shrapnel everywhere.

11. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

This is not rocket science. Get the bulge hammered back into place and shoot the gun. I wouldn't shoot it a whole lot like it is but you will probably never notice any further damage if you do. Any intelligent gunsmith should be willing to put an aluminum rod in the bore and work the bulge in from the outside.

12. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Fire away. Left hands are over-rated anyway. Besides, my cousin's neigbor's mother's friend shot bulged and "jug" barrels for twenty years and never had a problem.

-Gary

[​IMG]

13. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

Briley redid a club member's TMX...he had changed out a choke tube, and the first shot bulged the barrel at the lip of the CT....they had it about a week, looks good as new....LarryB

14. twoatlow8

twoatlow8 Member

That barrel needs to be replaced, If you are lucky Beretta can remove only the bottom barrel and replace it. If not you will need to replace the assembly.
    If you try to pound this back you will "Work Harden" the metal and it will become brittle.

Think of bending a pop can in half after bending it back and forth a few times it breaks this is Work Hardening. You may be willing to risk your hand on this but what about the people around you? If this lets go on a Trap field how would you feel if someone ELSE gets hurt?

Send it to Beretta and thank God you or any one else did not get hurt.
    And while you are waiting for it to come back BURN all those AA Hulls and get some Remington STS!
    Just my 2 cents.

15. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Unlike a dent that may be popped back in place, a bulge is metal that has been stretched. What magic can unstretch the metal? I believe sleeve it or replace it are your only two safe options.

16. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Would like to hear details about how it happened.

17. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

The "proper" way is to bore it out then sleeve it, so it's still a 12GA. In this case, it'll probably cost approx. the same as buying another used barrel.

I spoke to 3 barrel workers, including two very famous ones and another one specialize in "fixing" bulges. They all said (all off record) you can "probably" shoot it as is, the closer to the muzzle the safer it is, but non would officially go on record about that statement because liability issue.

I personally know a friend's Winchester 101 has a bulge 5" from the muzzle, he shot and still shoots the gun with said bulge for God knows how many years, with heavy H/C loads.

I'm not suggesting anything here, but if you study barrel pressures, you'll see how dramatically pressure dropped after the first few inches pass the chamber. For those who had their forcing cones "removed", I'll be more concerned about safety.

The first few inches pass chamber is where it takes the highest pressure when you fire, I don't feel comfortable to have any factory metals removed around there, but in reality, those famous barrel workers all did exactly that, and no one ever rise any questions about this.

18. Doug Mc

Doug Mc TS Member

Call Simmon's Olathe Kansas .... they repaired a Win. Pigeon Grade .410 for me years ago .... couldn't tell it had ever be damaged

19. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

I can point to a Browning O/U that was bulged with Rem All American base wads many years ago. He bought it with one barrel bulged and he did the other one. The owner shot it for a long time after that and never had a problem. And he was a darn good doubles shooter with it.

Big Jack

20. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Send it to Kerry Allor, "barrelmeister" in MI.

He's probably the best there is for barrels.

IMHO.

WW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beretta bulge barrel briley

bulge in 410 barrel

picture of barrels bulging

pistol barrel bulge repair photos