1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Barrel Bulge on 16-GA Stevens SxS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Porcupine, Dec 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

I just picked up a 16-gauge J.Stevens Arms Co. Model 5100 'Springfield' and the left (fixed full) barrel has a slight bulge a little over ¼-inch from the muzzle. It may not be evident from the photo below, but it's there. Is this a bulge caused by shooting slugs through a fixed full barrel? Thanks.

LA in MA

[​IMG]

2. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

My guess would be steel shot through the fixed full.

3. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

It wasn't slugs but it could have been a felt wad that didn't quite clear or even some mud that got jammed in the barrel. Either way, the 5100 series have a fair amount of meat at the muzzle. Why not take a leather hammer and pound it true.

4. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I had nothing to do with it. Bulge.

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Lead slugs won't bulge a full choke like that, steel shot will in less than a heartbeat! The old, old solid lead cast punkin balls will if they are cast with hard lead! I haven't seen one of those for a lot of years though!

If not steel shot, mud would be next on my list of suspect material doing the damage.

Hap

6. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I have seen snow do that also. Jon

7. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I have a stevens side by side. It will go off when jarred real good. It could have been dropped muzzle first on the ground.That would cause the bulge.Bill Wheeler

8. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

I think that is an effect from shooting steel shot. If it were my gun, I would unload it at a gun buy-back program. example: I think Delaware is offering $100 for shotguns. That is far more than an old Stevens with a bad barrel is worth.

9. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Unload it at a gun buy back? Are you kidding me? First, do we really want to encourage those stupid buy backs? That's like sleeping with the enemy. Second, you are so wrong about that Stevens. Even if you had to cut the barrel back it would still be worth $250 as a SAS gun or as a over-dog field gun. The 5100 series Stevens were built like tanks and will last many generations. Maybe they aren't pretty but they are a good solid gun with the emphasis on solid.

10. gtrjames

gtrjames TS Member

I had a wad hang in an old Ithaca 12 ga double when I was about 11 years old...when I fired the next round thru that barrel it kicked like a mule, and I knew something was wrong.
    I had a bulge about halfway between the forearm and the end of the barrel, and there was a well defined ring around the inside of the barrel too.
    I thought I had ruined it, but my dad took it to a gunsmith who got it out somehow...if you didn't know where to look it would be hard to see...I still own it, and hunt with it occasionally.
    I learned a valuable lesson about a shell that only goes "poof"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

barrel for a 16ga steven 94h

shooting steel shot in stevens model 94h

shotgun with slight bulge torward muzzle

slight barrel dent stevens 5100

stevens model 5100 16 ga parts