1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Barrel blowing/bulging

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Didreckson, Dec 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

The K80 barrel issue has peaked my interest, mostly due to enjoying the reloading of my shells almost as much as shooting them up. I use a P/W, and out of several thousand reloads with it (manual, 1st generation Automate, now Spolar hydraulic), have had possibly two poofers, but never a double charge (that I am aware of anyway).

I have no doubt that K80's are fabulous shotguns. Anything that expensive certainly should give the owner great joy. However, the barrel issue would give me concern contemplating acquiring one.

Have I missed all the threads on more modest guns blowing up on a regular basis? It seems I never hear of a 870, BT99, 390/391, etc. blowing up, or large barrel bulge. I shoot primarily a 687/682 SPII Joel Etchen hybrid I call it, and 1 oz. loads.

I certainly see how if you were not careful it would be possible to double charge a shell on my P/W. It would take a station screwing up, then backing the unit up without thinking about the results. I believe you could do that on a Mec as well, but again you would have to not consider the results to do it.

I just want see if I am missing something (probably am). It would seem K80 owners would be more the type that shot factory ammo over reloads (unless they are like me and just love doing it). So, why does it seem to me that K80's are the maligned guns on this barrel blowing up issue? I see many of these guns in use, but certainly not the predominant gun, so why are these threads not alive with other barrel's having similar issues if reloads are basis of the issue?

Thanks in advance for any input!

2. antidote

antidote TS Member

Guns don't blow up,, idiots blow up guns.

3. hdskip

hdskip Member

Must be waaaaay to much eggnog causing all these wild speculations. LOL.
    Gary

4. Irfner

Irfner TS Member

Other brands of gun do get bulged. Take a look at the photos on this thread. http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/sthread.cfm?threadid=174161&Messages=4 The K series are semi high end guns that cost a lot more than anything I own. So when one of these blows I take note, make fun and feel better about my lesser purchase. In other words it is a notable event because I am a bad person.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.