1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

barrel bending??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by FN in MT, Nov 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

Anyone ever have a barrel bent in order to correct a gun that was not shooting to POA? I understand HOW to change POI via the stock, thats NOT my question.

Would Wilkinson do such work??

FN in MT

2. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

LOL...Pheasantmaster is also the Bent-Barrel Master.

3. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

You don't know how much restraint I just exercised Missy...

Hope all is well,

Guy

4. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

I'm speaking of SHOTGUN barrels!! :)

5. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Yes, that's what I was talking about.

Guy Babin...you rascal, you!

6. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

When I first started shooting trap back in the 70's I shot a B-2000 Browning field gun, center of the pattern was 18inches to the right, being a poor boy at the time I took it to a gunsmith up in Oklahoma where I lived, Just so happens he was having a trap shoot that day, I ask him if he could help me with it, he explained that problems like this were generally fixed by a stock maker but let him look at it, he loaded a shell in it and fired it at a 5 gallon bucket out the window in the back of his shop, sure enough he said "yep it shooting to the right just like you said" he promtly stuck the barrel between the leg of his bench and a brace and gave it a good tug or two, loaded up another shell and shot at the bucket again, "just a little more" he says and back it goes under the leg and brace for a few more tugs, another shell and he plastered the bucket and handed my gun back to me, I am about to pass out, visions of my nice gun with crimps in the barrel, rib falling off or popped loose, I say 'gee thanks, I think, how much do I owe you?" "Not a dime" he says, "it was worth it to see the look on your face" and he had a good laugh, I broke every target I shot at that day. Gunsmith I am sure has passed by now, his shop was Bison Shooters Supply in Bison Oklahoma, good man and good friend.

Rick

7. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

FN, I believe Tommy will do this for you. There are some threads pertaining to this subject in the archives that might explain better to you. Its really not that hard and was popular when I was young. Brownells has an actual barrel bender I am told one can buy. We bent them in fork of tree (my favorite), over a bag of shot, in a bumper, pullers chair and just about anything imagineable. Tommy will be scientific and do it the way it should be done.

8. JPettengill

JPettengill TS Member

Sometime it works, sometime they bend right back when they get hot. I had a top single Citori that shot about a foot and a half lower than the O/U barrel of the Combo set, and I bent to shoot like the O/U and it took only about 10 or 12 shots to go right back to the original Point of impact.

Jim Pettengill

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have bent some and had some bent for me. I never had a problem. Martin (Pheasantmaster) has bent more than I have and even Neil has bent a few. I think Martin prefers a forked tree. I have only used a pick up bumper. Both the tree fork and the bumper can be used as precision instruments.

My K-80 changes the POI by bending the barrel with an adjustment on the rib. I am shooting it with the barrel bent up.

Pat Ireland

10. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Sometimes I think my barrel bends all by itself in directions unknown to me!

11. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Britt robinson/ Larry gravestock bent their barrels on a spare tire. They would plug the choke so it wouldnt go out of round. Watched them do several at the calif state shoot.

12. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

This gun shoots 3" to the left at 13 yds off the bench. At 40 yds about 80% of the pattern is off to the LEFT. It's not a choke tube issue as it patterns the same with all the tubes.

Could a choke tube be worked on to move the pattern? Then any heating issues would be moot.

FN in MT

13. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Yes, barrel bending does work, but you had better be sure that your barrel is IN FACT not shooting straight.

Here is a problem barrel before:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=100_1314.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

The bend:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=100_1312.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

And after:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=100_1316.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Yes, it works.

14. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

FN, when I stated above that tommy and I think Allor will due it right, the right way so they stay is to take the rib off, do the bend and then install the rib once again. Seitz started this method. Otherwise, I ussually put several kinks in rib segments to help from going back.

Yes Brilley can make you a tube to correct the impact to a point. They have told me 6 inches is about max. It sounds as though your 12 to 13 inches off in estimating what you mean by 80%. They will need your barrel and you tell them the amount you want it corrected.

15. crusha

crusha TS Member

Hey Tron, that's a mighty nice lookin' barrel press you got there.

...and once you've seen someone bend a barrel the way Tron is doing it...and just how much it takes to overcome the yield stress of modern steel barrels...you'll never believe in the "whacking it against an object" theories ever again.

Ever time I hear someone swearing by one of these jobs...without having done any before/after pattern work...just going out and shooting a good event afterward, and concluding the whacking musta done the trick...well, I think about Jim Brown's cryo work.

16. shadow

shadow Active Member

I once heated a 870 barrel to red hot and dropped a bag of shot on the barrel to bend it. It works!!! Sometimes a bit too well!

Anyone interested in a horseshoe shaped 870 barrel?

17. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

Called Tom Wilkinson.....He suggested shooting patterns at 35 yds. Four to five shots on the same piece of paper to see pattern density. He will then ascertain how far off we are and can make the changes. He said bending wasn't a big deal.

He will also pattern the gun and if he sees any glaring problems (w/the pattern)he will let us know.

FN in MT

18. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

MT, if you are after the last word in precision, something like this bending jig of mine has been the ideal. In use, you put the muzzle in the hole (relieved at the bottom to save the bead), stand on the stabilizer extension, and go to work. It's portable, fast, accurate, and effective.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

However, the proliferation of adjustable ribs has lead to complications. Take off the rib? Lose the parts? What if it doesn't work afterwards?

That has led me to select new equipment:

[​IMG]

It has several advantages, among them the choices of leverage desired, available by simply moving higher or lower, as well as how long you want the bent part to be.

The left limb has an ideal deeply barked surface, deep enough in fact to slide a bead into and so get the same safety advantages as the previous rig.

[​IMG]

Last, though wear is apparent, I expect the setup to last a long time with little or no maintenance.

[​IMG]

Neil

19. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

HOLY JEEPERS, and he was our leader? LOL. Brownells barrel bender is very good and also easy to use with a little common sense.

Is that one of Neils 13 yd.POI on the right side? Have fun, and shoot well, Bob

20. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Actually, Bob, that's where I have worn bark away over a couple of seasons of repair and experimentation. Oh, I have a Brownell's model too, but the results are no better than what I've pictured.

Neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning a-5 bent barrel 2 inch from top need help

shotgun barrel bending jig