1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Barrel Bending ????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Tom Strunk, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Contact Tom Wilkinson in North Carolina, he is the best. His phone number is 919-603-0167

To address your questions, yes and yes.

Tom Strunk

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Or you could just bend it up, too. Go a little too far; tweek it back; it's there forever. It'll kink the rib, but if it has to shoot higher that will make it do it.

Neil

3. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

tinoo
    Steel has a memory. If you do not kink the metal, it will go back to original shape. If you want your gun to shoot higher, get an adjustable comb and raise it. You will be amazed at how high you can get a gun to shoot

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I vote for putting an adj. comb on the gun as well. Raise your head and raise you POI at the same time. My 2 cents. Jeff

You might just want it to shoot flat again in 5 or so years.

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I've bent lots of barrels and they stayed put as long as I did what you do with a connecting rod - go a bit too far and come back to where you want. Just a bit, understand.

Neil

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The elegant solution is an adjustable comb and an add on adjustable rib.

Probably not cost effective. I have seen lots of barrel bending, snd it works. Sometimes you have to re do it a few months later, the molecular memoty makes it spring back, like Neil said.

HM

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Neil is right

You ccan bend them- some minor corrections might come back

I only have had limited experience with p guns and hunting guns but I think the general rule is it works as Neil states

I will take one exception with what Neil said- most ribs have some free float in them and if you dont bend too much - you might get away without kinking the rib

regards from Iowa

Gene

8. 12Gagejon

12Gagejon Member

Briley makes off center choke tubes that will do same thing lot less damaging to gun Jon

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Glen Hunting and I used to bend K-80 barrels back in the days of Hunting's Gun Shop-the original K-80 importer. They usually stayed bent after our second surgery!!

10. avidtrapshooter

avidtrapshooter TS Member

i bent a barrel on an old field shotgun once didn't have a rib or anything worked fine until the old bolt action 20 gauge's stock went all funky on me, but it got the point of impact roughly where i wanted it.

11. ftlupton

ftlupton TS Member

Larry Gravestock bent an 870 barrel for me years ago and it is still right where he bent it(150% high, way too high for me). Sold the barrel to a friend but the memory of him using my tailgate and some shot will remain with me forever.
    ftlupton

12. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

Brownells has barrel benders in their catalog, last time I looked they ran about $125.00 + shipping...Bill

13. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

I'll have to remind myself about this thread the next time I get the urge to buy a used trapgun that I don't know the history of.

14. m70win

m70win Member

Hey Pat I remember that barrel bending thread it had some good pics of how much extra you had to over bend the barrel to get the results you wanted. It had a rib on it and it didn't kink. It was made out of a big scew press and the guy would count how many turns he put on it until he got the results he wanted I had Williams gun sight bend an 1100 barrel for Turkey hunting for me .
    Tim

15. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I've seen a couple of guys that shot plain barrel M12's use the fork of tree to accomplish this task. It worked for them, but I wouldn't try it!

ec90t

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

Like, ftlupton, Larry Gravestock bent my M-12 barrel on the back of a pick up truck. I asked Larry to bent it up two tugs. He told me that he watched me shoot and I really needed three tugs. He was right. Larry also told me that after several thousand rounds, I should give it an additional tug.

Pat Ireland

17. ftlupton

ftlupton TS Member

Hi Pat, after watching me shoot Larry told me to take up golf, but I perservered and eventually made the 27. He went a little too high with mine, but the guy who bought it really shot it well. I think it did come back down a little but his system worked.
    ftlupton

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.