1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BARREL BENDING (show and tell)

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Tron, Mar 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I've had to bend 4 of my own barrels over the years (done a few for my freinds as well) and this time, I thought I'd document it. My last problem gun is a 391 Optima (with NCP rib) that I've been toying around with as my designated Sporting Clays gun (it's a work in progress).

For some reason or other, I've experienced that if a Beretta auto barrel isn't shooting straight, it usually is shooting left (yes, checked from a bench rest at 13 yards)...so, I've had to make some adjustment by bending them. The first two that I did, I used a press at work and that worked pretty good, but I wasn't real comfortable with it because I felt it was easy to overdo it. So, a while back I purchased a used press from a VERY well known poster on this site and it's worked out great.

Here is a typical pattern before bending....as you can see, quite a bit off to the left:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=100_1314.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

OK, now in the bender. These pictures do not do any justice to how far you actually have to bend the barrel before it takes a bend, but you can get the idea:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=100_1311.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=100_1312.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

This is a typical pattern after bending:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=100_1316.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

A look at the gun after bend:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=100_1317.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=100_1319.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Tron

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Great post, great job, Tron. Thanks

3. hoghunter

hoghunter Member

TRON
    HOW DO YOU CHANGE POI UP & DOWN WITHOUT BENDING VENT RIB? I HAVE THE SAME BENDER THAT YOU HAVE & I ALSO HAD TO INVEST IN A RIB STRAIGHTENER?
    IF ANYONE WANTS TO BUY A BENDER, MINE IS FOR SALE. $100.00 PLUS SHIPPING
    THANKS
    JR

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Tron, is it possible the barrel may have been straight all along and the rib hanger off a few degrees?

The reason I ask is a model 12 with a Simmons I have was off enough to cause it to pattern to the left, similar to the one you posted.

I first determined that the barrel was straight, then did some close measuring to find the rib was off centered with the bore center-line. Simmons fixed the off center rib problem for me. Hap

5. Tron

Hog, this barrel has an removable adjustable rib and I removed it prior to bending. On the other barrels with non removable ribs, I made the bend at a post and have not kinked the rib...but, there is a visible curve. Hap, great question and yes, I did consider that. I removed the rib and checked it on a straight edge, then set a straight edge at the front and rear hangers to see it the center hanger was off center...it was not. I then checked distances with a feeler gauge at the center post from side to side and they were the same...so I went ahead and did the deed.

Tron

6. matttrapn

matttrapn Active Member

Tron,

Sounds like you have done this sort of "adjusting" for some time. I would like to ask. Do you find the "bend" will stay in the barrel, or after time and hundreds of clays shot, the "bend relaxes and goes back to where you started?

Matt

7. Tron

Matt, good question. I have not had one "unbend" yet and I do check my patterns on a regular basis (as anyone at Birmingham Gun Club will tell you). My last one was a 30" Mobil choke Trap barrel and I bet that I put 10,000 rounds through that particular barrel and it stayed. You would really be amazed at how elastic barrels are. You can have them in the bender bent like a banana and it could come right back into shape. You have to take it over a point and then it will leave a visible curve.

Tron

8. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Hap, I've had close to a dozen 303 barrels and not only did almost all shoot just as Tron's did at the start, they _looked_ like they would. You'd put them on a gun, sight down it and say - "Man, that thing's pointed to the left!" and they were and that's where they shot, too.

The cure is as Tron has described.

Neil

9. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

JR, I've also got a barrel bender, bought in haste, then found out I wasn't even pointing the foolish gun right. I guess that I shouldn't have told that one should I.BTW Thanks for the choke tubes.

I am surprised that both Tron and Winston have had that many issues with barrels from the same manufacturer. I thought that I was seeing one in my future, but I guess that I will look very carefully before jumping.
    Shoot well and often, Bob

10. Tron

Usually, I buy stuff second or third hand. When I purchased a new 32" Trap barrel from Dennis DeVault, the first thing that I did was check it and it was perfect. With this barrel (I bought used), I called Dennis and he offered to replace it and I told him not to worry, no big deal. All Dennis did was put a rib on this and I don't feel it's his fault or should have to deal with it.

Dennis has always done great by me and his work is tops as far as I'm concerned.

OH, and Bob: You will find this sort of thing with any of the high production guns, not just Beretta.

11. Tron

OH, I forgot to mention that I not only bent it to the right, but slightly up (it was shooting too low, in the picture of the first pattern, I have the comb cranked high). There is a slightly visible kink in the barrel, so I highly doubt that it can "unbend".

Tron

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Neil, I recall you mentioning quite some time back about all of those B barrels shooting off to one side or the other. I agree, if it won't shoot straight, bend that sucker to where it will. I bent a 1400 Win barrel about 30 years ago and it still shoots almost to the same spot with rifled slugs.

Good job Tron!! Hap

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

Tron- Fine thread. Thank you. I have not bent a barrel for over 30 years. If you are interested, I could still post a picture of my barrel bender. But if you have ever seen a truck bumper and a spare tire, you have already seen my bender. I like yours better than mine.

Pat Ireland

14. Tron

Pullll, what I've found works best (for me) is that I will do the bend in about 4 phases, each time using more force than the previous and then really crank it up on the last go....it takes a bit of a feel. The kink is (when looking down the barrel from breech) at about 2 oclock, just in front of the gas valve. Yes, I do the windage and elevation at the same time.

15. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

The Beretta Extrema I's were notorious for shooting to the left. Beretta's only answer after examining these left shooting barrels was that they "were within specifications".

16. hoghunter

hoghunter Member

I have a Weatherby Athena combo gun & the single shoots about 12 inches lower than the O/U. I talked with a few of the barrel companies & they said the only way to fix it was bend it? I invested in the bender , as I could not sell it & not tell them it shot this way. I tried to raise the poi & it started to bend the rib, it was on the post , but the bender area is 1 1/2 inches. I straightened the rib & put it in the safe & just shoot the O/U
    Thanks
    JR

17. yenko

yenko TS Member

it would seem to me that bending the barell in the middle wouldnt stay because the amount of stressfrom shot moving down the barrell for such a long distance.ive seen wilkinson bend them at the very front as little as two inchs on non tubed guns and 4-5 on tubed guns.the less stress the less movement.makes since to me.

18. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Tron, have you bent barrels other than Beretta brand? Have you bent an O/U yet?

19. Tron

Pheasantmaster, yes, an 1100 (shot left and low) and an 870 for shooting way too low. I don't see how you could bend an O/U.....that's something that a Troll would ask.

Tron

20. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Besides myself which was a Perazzi Comp 1 and a Broadway, Dean Bright has a bent Broadway he used for doubles for years. Honest injun bro. Its a fun adventure to do and I don't look forward to ever trying again. Well OK maybe I do:) But it can be done and for me it was strictly to raise POI and I believe for Dean as well.

Why I ask about the other brands was that of all the barrels I have bent through the years, any that I used for trap I had to kink the rib inorder to get them to stay somewhat inplace. Even then they would come down on a good hot summer day right when you had a score running. These were Model 12's and Perazzi's mostly with a few other assorted makes and models.

And Tron, Iam not "trolling"you, honest! Of the few things that scare me in life, being on your badside is one....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.