1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Barrel Bedding on a Shotgun?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Chango2, Jan 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Sure, I'll cop to asking some questions that kinda stir the pot, but all answers have helped me this last week.

I noted that Kolar Arms offers barrel bedding services. This is a procedure that, as I understand it, is done mostly with rifles to allow barrel vibrations to be consistent from shot to shot. Some rifle stocks have contemporary "pillar" beds which merely hold the barrel in a secure manner so that the barrel does not touch the stock. I have a rifle stock or two that uses pillars; I have relieved one of those stocks a bit so the barrel does not touch it and torque the two allen screws down using a torque wrench for evening some of the stress in theory.

So, question, does mitigating against inconsistent barrel vibrations, whipping, etc., upon firing, in a target trapgun, particularly a shotgun used for long distance shooting, improve patterns and/or create more consistent points of impact. I have read about an engineer, Mr. Seahase, who claimed that using a secret electrical process helped change the grain structure of barrel steel to allow better patterns. Allegedly, this was not just snake oil. And, of course, some riflemen that shoot long distances have barrels relieved of stress via cryogenic processes; cryogenics have been used, as far as I recall, for a long time with certain parts in race cars to strengthen parts, e.g. ring and pinions and spider gears.

I dunno where the "literature" is; I just saw the alluded to service at the Kolar website.

Thanks in advance.....and I hope I'm not just stirring the pot, but sure hope to read informative and passionate answers.

David

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I looked at the Kolar website and didn't see anything about barrel bedding. I also Googled shotgun barrel bedding and didn't get any hits. That's got to tell you something. I have never heard of it being done. Mark

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

What kolar is referring to is glass bedding the forend to the iron, not the forend to the barrel. It just makes for a tighter fit b/w the wood and metal and prevents cracking, it has no performance advantage.

4. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Thanks skeet man; takes me out of that bit of confusion. Still working on others...

5. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Yep, if you seen Gun fitters thread of the stock he did on that beautiful Krieghoff, you could see in that stage where he used the glass bedding on the receiver. That relieves the stress points and makes the pressure even throughout the metal to wood connection. It also makes for a perfect fit to the point that there is no gap between the wood and metal anywhere. Looks much better. As you can see in the pictures. The fit is perfect. Maybe Joe will clarify this, as to his procedure.

Also click on the link above and see the whole process. Joe goes one step further and adds a dowl in the stock for added strength.

Glass bedding a rifle is for a different purpose. Obviously accuracy is more important with a single projectile. Jon
    stlflyn_2010_0704182.jpg

stlflyn_2010_0704183.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bedding a perazzi shotgun stock

glass bedding shotgun stock

how to glass bed a shotgun stock

shotgun stock glass bedding