1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BarraKuhna parts list

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, Aug 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Phil B asked for this on the Selka thread.

----Here's what you'll need. Some of what I used is no longer available like the stock adapter and the Bushnell HoloSight. Replacements are easy to find. My rail is home made, but that's not a problem either.

----General parts list: 870, 870/AR stock adapter, AR stock and grip, Red dot sight, weights for inside AR stock tubes, adjustable butt pad hardware, pad.

Stock adapter - You'll want the high tube adapter and rail as shown here: http://www.mesatactical.com/index.php?id=55. Scroll down to see. I've been told by the people at MesaTactical that you can turn the rail around and cut it off to get the scope a little closer for a wider field of view. That's what I've done. The end of my rail is 3-1/4" from the top corner of the 870 receiver. It looks like their rail is screwed to the receiver; it is not.

AR M4 stock - http://www.del-ton.com/AR_15_Buttstocks_Collapsible_Buttstocks_s/61.htm. It's the second item on the list.

Grip - should be available with the stock.

Red dot - EOTech 512 Holographic Sight available at midwayusa.com, product # 453-878.

Two AA batteries. (grins)

Optional weights for inside stock - round bar steel stock cut to length. Use garden hose washers on both ends to absorb shock. I can pour lead in a copper tube if you want. I don't have the diameters handy (I'd have to take the BarraKuhna apart). You can figure this out when you get the stock. The BarraKuhna weighs in at 12 pounds with the lead weights, but it's balanced on the pistol grip so it doesn't feel heavy to me.

Adjustable butt pad hardware - you pick from those commercially available. Butt pad too.

Attaching the butt pad hardware to the plastic AR stock is the second fabrication after cutting the weights. You'll need to drill holes and attach with screws, but anyone with a vice and a drill or drill press can get this done. Set the angle of the pad to equal what you are now shooting. Pitch is built into the AR stock at 5 degrees. Use washers to fine tune. I needed one washer on top to equal the pitch I use which is probably 6 degrees.

And take the bead off the bbl. Notice my bbl doesn't have a rib. HoloGraphic sight takes care of it all.

Joe
    joekuhn_2008_030343.jpg

2. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

It's been interesting to follow Joe. I think the eye issues are a more common problem than given credit for. Wishing you continued success with your efforts.

3. joe kuhn

Thanks Bob. I agree with your statement about eye problems. I see folks struggling as I have all the time. Poor breaks, misses and no clue as to why. One shooter is so consistent it's unreal. Always pieces, no smoke with some misses. If she could just get that pattern centered better.

The next step for this config is to set one up for somebody else and see how they do.

Joe

4. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Joe- could the Ar stock fit an 1100.

Phil Berkowitz

5. dverna

dverna Active Member

Interesting.

Some observations/comments:

Typically the EoTech is mounted more forward on a rifle platform. Joe, why did you place it closer to the eye? I really like this setup because with the unit is mounted on the stock or receiver another unit is not required for the doubles barrels on a combo.

The higher sight line will allow the barrel to be positioned lower than normal. This will reduce the rotational component that makes the muzzle jump up and should reduce face slap and perceived recoil.

The EoTech will correct for a barrel that shoots left or right without having an offset bead picture.

Don Verna

6. joe kuhn

Phil - the 1100 has a spring in the stock that doesn't allow for an AR adapter.

Don - "why did you place it closer to the eye?" It's closer to my eye to give me a larger field of view. I agree with the rest of your statements although I've never tried doubles with a red dot, not yet at least.

7. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

Somebody video tape this thing in action. Looks cool and glad to see you "fixed" the problem yourself. I would be curious as to your doubles sight picture with that thing pointed at the first bird. Just curious and would love to see it shoot.

8. YODA100

YODA100 TS Member

How about a parts price list to go along with the parts list?

9. joe kuhn

Most of the items can be purchased at MidwayUsa. Product numbers are included below.

$150 - 870/AR stock adapter & rail - http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=669024

$60 - AR stock - productNumber=229100

$5 - AR grip - 615714

$415 - EO Tech Holographic Red Dot sight - 453878

$38 - Limbsaver pad - 286280

$55 - DeVault pad adjuster - http://www.devaultind.com/DeVault%20Pictures/All%20Products/Butt%20Plate/image002.jpg

$50 - Approximate shipping for all of the above

$5 - Misc Hardware

Round bar steel stock - don't know.

Total - $778, let's say $800 without the gun.

10. joe kuhn

Shot bookends with it yesterday: 25, 24, 24, 25. Lots of smoke. Fun. Have to dial in the smoke a little better. Not sure if that's a poi change or just me. When the leed is there, so is the smoke.

Video is a good idea. Need a cameraman with a camera.

11. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Joe what length barrel are you using? Any choke tubes?

Phil Berkowitz

12. joe kuhn

I'm using a 30 inch fixed full. Bbl is from an era before choke tubes. The smoke with a full choke is so reinforcing I hesitate to change it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.