1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Baron 23

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by peanut gallery, Dec 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peanut gallery

peanut gallery TS Member

Stephen,

Did you ever get your shotgun back from Ken and Boone was wondering if you would share your pic's of the work

2. chuckles

chuckles Member

3. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

HI guys - very timely. The stock just came back from the checker...I do have a picture but hesitated to post it as the angle of the shot misresprents some of the ribbon configuration and it still has a rough thick top coat of oil.

I was going to post them anyway, but Photobucket is giving me a hard time...I will try it again later today.

Within a day or so I expect to have a better picture from Boone with final finish and will post.

Ken has assured me that he has been working diligently on the remaining game scene.

My plans are to go to N.C. soon (next few weeks) and collect the wood and metal and I plan to have a friend of mine who is a professional photographer take a few shots still in the white and unassembled. I will post these shots when I get them.

If the gods smile on me, we may have this gun polished, blued, and assembled in another 1 1/2 to 2 months (pleeeeeease! LOL)

Cheers

Stephen

4. Baron23

Ok guys, you asked so these are the pics that I have of the wood.

Foreend with initial thick soak coat of oil (seems thick and shiny for that reason)

<a href="http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t244/Baron23_photos/?action=view┬Ąt=MeyersSX-1_Sep052008_0640.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Stock with same initial coats of oil

<a href="http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t244/Baron23_photos/?action=view&current=MeyersSX-1_Sep052008_0656.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Other side of stock

<a href="http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t244/Baron23_photos/?action=view&current=MeyersSX-1_Sep052008_0660.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Stock back from checkerer. Please note, although oil finish was pretty much complete, it was sent to the checkerer with a heavy thick coat of oil on it to protect during checkering. This has been knocked back now and has the exected satin hand oil finish sheen. Also, the ribbons in the pistol grip actually have some curve to them reflecting the curve of the grip...the angle of the picture makes them look straight with was not the design intent.

<a href="http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t244/Baron23_photos/?action=view&current=mystockcheckered.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

5. peanut gallery

peanut gallery TS Member

Stephen,

Thats mighty purdy please keep us updated.

6. Baron23

Thanks Sharky - I guess one last thought is that we kept the checkering rather simple and elegant (or at least I tried to do so) since the receiver is so heavily engraved. I just did not want very complex and filligreed checkering that would take away from the receiver and perhaps even make the gun look over done.

Anyway...I better get back to work! LOL

7. chuckles

chuckles Member

Stephen, awesome fricken wood....

I'm working on a new wood set for my SXM1 Ken Hurst receiver as well (stock "Winchester AAAXXX Exhibition grade), will show when received and assembled...

say hi to Ken for me...

regards

Chuck

8. Baron23

llano bill - yes indeed, Berle will take some shots for me....pictures to date are all with small digital pocket cameras....very limited macro capability and of course we shot them on Ken's bench and didn't have any real lighting to work with.

Given how well I know Berle, I expect him to take hours to light the darn thing and shoot the pics LOL

Glad you are keeping Ken busy....just no work in front of my SX-1 receiver!! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.