1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Barometric Pressure affect on 7.5's V 8's.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by nate4364, Mar 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nate4364

nate4364 Member

Barometric Pressure affect on 7.5

Hey everyone!

Just to beat a dead horse, I was wondering how much the barometric pressure affects shot. I've always been a strong believer in 8's from the 16 and 7.5's for caps. The other day however, I was told that I should never shoot 8's based on my geographical location (Wisconsin). I know that pressure can affect pellet travel, but to what extent? Feel free to share your thoughts or laugh away.

Break 'em all,

Nate

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you have a few ounces of cheap rye whiskey before you shoot, the barometric pressure will have no effect on the eights. HMB

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

8's, being of smaller diameter, will be more inclined toward what is referred to as 'barometric

deformation'

BRIMSTONE Choke Systems, Hell, Michigan, has devised a choking system to alleviate this.

It interfaces with an i-pod wirelessly allowing minute adjustments based on telemetric data

supplied by Weather.com.

It's simply known as "The Helluva Choke"

Jim chapman

HELL, Michigan

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Oh my, BigM.

Its a good thing its already middle afternoon over here, otherwise I'd have spit my coffee all over my keyboard.

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

BigM,

How would that choke work down here in my area? Could I have it calibrated for my local barometric pressure? I gotta do something soon.

6. 8 Straight

8 Straight Active Member

Personally, I never given barometric pressure much thought. I do, however, worry about the Coriolis Effect, which, due to the rotaion of the earth, the target is not where it was when the shot was fired. Since the target is in the air, and not stationary on the ground, it might not be as big of a deal as I worry about. That being said, I always check the layout of a field with a compass so that I can tell if I am dealing with a full right to left, left to right, or some lesser degree of deflection. Why take a chance?

7. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Try not to have too much fun here, you might get moved to the "Other Topics" section.

8. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Since the gravity on the earths surface is pretty much constant, I would think the gravitational pull of the moon would have a greater effect than pressure. Hell it can move oceans.....Now where did I put my tin foil hat?

Wayne

9. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

One guy at our club insists that wearing Speedo thong underwear has helped his practice shooting with either 8s or 7.5s. He says he switches to oversize boxers for competition...helps him concentrate. Curiously, he is about 5'6" tall and weighs about 350#. Go figure. Regards, Ed

10. nate4364

nate4364 Member

Many of these senitments were the same I shared with the guy at the club. He is no doubt an accomplished shooter, but when he told me that, it was too funny not to share.

Nate

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I can only add one thing!

(Chuckle)

Grntitan, you have no pressure. Your already in HELL! LOLOLOLOL

12. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Dang, set myself up again. **snicker**

Funny how everyone wants to come to my hell in August though. Ok, not everyone.

13. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Nate,

There might be an ever so slight effect if you were moving from an elevation like Denver to an elevation near sea level. Neil Winston is pretty sure patterns are more dense at higher elevation due to the lower air density.

There are some folks who swear you shouldn't use anything smaller than 7-1/2's when the air temperature is near freezing, since the air density is higher when the air is cold and dry versus hot and humid.

But that may be more due to the fact that the targets migh tbe frozen and harder to break.

But at 16 yards, I really don't think it makes a darned bit of difference.

14. indycamster

indycamster Member

You know, I bet it is the Quantum Mechanics and "String Theory" that cause "Mistery Misses." Math Scientist have "proven" that an object can be in two places at once, so the comment regarding shooting at where a target was, versus where it actually is, is moot. So the real trick to never missing a target is to get it lined up with a "worm hole," then you break not only the target you see but the one you might miss in an alternate universe. Who knew Albert Einstine was really a trap shooter...in that alternate universe...
    Such a simple game...

15. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Actually this is some good information. I have been studying the above video because I am trying to learn this technique for my hard lefts. Barometric pressure has a great effect on curving shot.

Bryan

16. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

curving shot?!?!?!

Oh my

17. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Stop it or I'll pull out the ol 'Uncertainty Principle'...

18. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Or the "Infinite Improbability Drive!"

19. jhoward

jhoward Member

I would think that humidity levels would have more effect on patterns than barometric pressure. Higher humidity should 'thicken' the air and increase the effect of drag on the shot thus slowing the shot faster, requiring increased lead on hard angle targets.

20. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Barometric pressure has more affect on the brain!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

will barometric pressure or low level moisture effect pattern on shot gun