1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BARN GUN??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ntgr8, May 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

Did you ever hear of a gun called a barn gun? What I know is that it was cheap, like 2 or 3 dollars, stamped metal, shot a small paper shot shell, about 9mm- 1 3/4 long with about 1/4-3/8 oz of shot. Made by Winchester I think. Kept in the barn and used for rats and other vermin. I have seen the shell but never the gun. They were made in the early 1900's probably into the 20's or 30's. Thats all I know, anybody have more info?

2. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

I always figured it was whatever gun you left in the barn. I my case it was my grandfather's Model 1906 Winchester .22. It sits in my gun cabinet now so I can look at it once in awhile but it is so rusted and pitted from living in the barn for 50 years it barely functions.

Steve

3. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

Jack the one on gun broker looks like what my great grandfather had. He let me shoot it once when I was about 8 years old. Awesome compared to my single shot BB gun. My great grandfather died during ww2 at the age of 87. The gun might still be in whats left of the barn.

4. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

A "barn gun" was a cheap single shot shotgun, usually 16 gauge, that was found on almost every farm in the nation back at the beginning of the 20th century. The garden gun was a Winchester 9mm shotgun. That's the way I've always seen it stated.

5. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

The Winchester Model 36 shot a rimfire 9MM shotshell. The Winchester ammo is expensive to find but Fiochhi still makes the 9MM shotshell ammo that fits the gun.

6. gdc

gdc TS Member

gdc_2009_2306.jpg

I got this from my inlaws lumber yard years ago. I took it to a gun show once and was told it was a 9mm "shotgun shell" I've never heard, or seen, anything about a 9mm shotshell again until this post. very interesting.
    GDC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.