1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BARGAIN (?) SHOTSHELLS

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by cynergystan, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cynergystan

cynergystan TS Member

JUST FOUND THAT A LOCAL STORE IS SELLING REMINGTON HEAVY DOVE LOADS, #8, 1 1/8 OZ., 1255 FPS (3 DRAM ?) AT $6.19 A BOX. THAT IS PROBABLY LESS EXPENSIVE THAN ANY OTHER SHELL THEY HAVE, INCLUDING CHARLES DALY, WHICH THEY USUALLY HAVE AT A SALE PRICE. ANY REASON NOT TO USE THAT SHELL FOR TRAP?

2. flylta

flylta TS Member

Where are you?

Ron

3. cynergystan

cynergystan TS Member

PACIFIC PALISADES/SANTA MONICA, CALIFORNIA

4. cynergystan

cynergystan TS Member

IN MY NECK OF THE WOODS, $4.75 A BOX IS A BARGAIN

5. cynergystan

cynergystan TS Member

IS THERE NO ONE OUT THERE WHO HAS AN OPINION ON THE USE OF A HEAVY DOVE LOAD FOR TRAP ? SEEMS TO ME THAT EVERYONE HAS AN OPINION ON EVERYTHING FROM POLITICS TO BEER ON THIS SITE. I RESPECT THEM ALL. I AM NEW TO THIS SPORT. I VALUE THE OPINIONS OF EXPERIENCED SHOOTERS ON MATTERS RELATING TO THE SPORT, BUT I AM APPARENTLY INCAPABLE OF POSING A SUFFICIENTLY CONTROVERSIAL QUESTION AS WOULD NORMALLY GIVE RISE TO A RASH OF OPINIONS. OH, WELL, MAYBE I SHOULD SEEK OPINIONS ON HILLARY AND OBAMA. THAT IS SURE TO GENERATE RESPONSES

6. Inspector 12

Inspector 12 TS Member

I would suggest the real test is how they pattern / shoot through your gun. Have you tried any of them yet? I have tried the Federal Top Guns, Remington Sport Loads, and Remington Field loads (7 1/2 shot, 1 1/8 oz 1290 fps) and always seem to end up back using Remington Gun Club target loads. I just like the way they shoot in my gun.

The real test of the product is how satisfied you are with the performance. It doesn't matter how cheap the shells are if they don't work well for you.

Kerry

7. flylta

flylta TS Member

If you're shooting for fun and they go bang when you pull the trigger, use them. If you are shooting registered targets, which I don't, I do not know if they meet the rules.

Ron

8. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

The heavy dove loads that I saw last weekend weere 3 1/4 dram, 1 1/8 ounce. We can not shoot them at my club because of noise restriction. They will put the doves down, though.

9. locdoc

locdoc Member

Stan,

Those shells are legal for ATA. Might be a little punishing to the body after several hundred.

Oh, by the way. No need to YELL. It's OK to use your inside voice on this forum. :)

Give some thought to following quote from Sen Obama:

'My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world.

I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it." --

Barack Obama

IMO Sen. Clinton is no better.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

10. scratcher

scratcher TS Member

They are going to kick the piss out of you and are not particularly cheap. Knock yourself out......

11. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

1 1/8 oz at 1255 f/s is 3 1/4 Dram Equivalent. This is the same as shooting Winchester AA Handicap shells, the gray 1 1/8 oz shell.

The ATA rules state that 1 1/8 oz shells cannot be faster than 1290 f/s. So those shells are legal to use in an ATA registered shoot. Ranges often have their own rules, like no shell over 3 Dram Equivalent. Best to also check with the range you shoot at.

Often discount shells are discounted because they are loaded with cheaper soft shot. Soft shot does not pattern as tightly and hard shot. I agree with the above that you need to pattern some and also shoot some targets. I think that over 2 3/4 Dram Equivalent (1145 f/s) is too much for 16 yard singles. For long yardage Handicap I'll shoot 3 1/4 Dram Equivalent loads but prefer 7 1/2.

Posting in all capitals is considered yelling and it is hard to read.

Jason

12. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Those heavy dove loads will turn a target inside out from the fence! They are, however, a bit much for singles and short yardage 'caps.
    I wish I had some 8's as I bought a flat of these shells in 71/2's for $40. I wish that I could have bought more, but that's all they had.

ec90t

13. cynergystan

cynergystan TS Member

Thank you for your responses. My sincere apologies for "yelling". I am a lousy typist and it is easier for me to leave the "caps lock" in the on position. As for the Obama quote, I wish more people would see it and understand that he probably means exactly what he says. He wants to change the greatest nation in the world into something less... or is that just my misinterpretation?

14. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

They will be just fine but remember that they are not the cleanest shooting shell that is out there.

If you have any wallyworlds in the area check them for Federal 3dram 1-1/8oz shells that they sell in the 4 packs for about $5.15 a box or $20.60 a 4 pack, that is what they sell for out east.

Also Wally World has a Remington Game Load, 3-1/4dram poweder, 1oz #8 or #7.5 shot at 1290fps as well for less than what is being offered to you. Currently at $5.49 a box out east.

15. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Yep,

you are far better off with the WalMart Federals at $20.60 for the 4 pack.

16. cynergystan

cynergystan TS Member

The Federal four packs at Wally's, here in the L.A. area, are going for $23.64. I guess that is still a good deal. Thanks again.

17. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Better deal and the shell wont beat you up as much plus they are a little cleaner shooting shell.

18. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I just found some Remington Game Loads, 1 oz. #8's @ 1290fps. They were on sale for $4.47/box. They had the very same load and speed in Remington Target Loads but wanted $4.97/box. Store clerk said only difference was the wad, not sure if this is the truth, but ended up buying a few flats of the Game Loads for practice, and I just love reloading those black Remington hulls.

19. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Where was that deal at and go back and get all you can.

FYI they are a good shell but they are quite a dirty shooting shell.

20. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

Sounds like ShurShots in the orange and green box. They shoot well and hit targets hard, but if not shooting in a gas auto they WILL take their toll (as others have suggested).

I've still got a bunch I bought cheap, but I use them sparingly. No way would I shoot 100 trap with them, and I shoot a 9# SuperX.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.