1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BARETTA & DRILL BIT

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WWB, Dec 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WWB

WWB Member

Infor needed...I have a 303 Baretta 20 gauge and need to clean out the gas ports. What size drill bit and where do I get one long enough to reach down thru the bbl ring and into the ports. I tried a 1/32 and its to big and a 1/64 is to small (& way to short). Thanx in advance for any help.

Willie

2. cnsane

cnsane Member

I'll slowly make a half fast guess that being European, it will be a metric sized hole. If 1/32= .031 and 1/64=.015, you'll be needing something smaller than 1mm (.038). Find a well stocked machine shop and ask if they have a small diameter metric drill index that you might be able to stop by and make use of as a pin gage set for finding your hole diameter. Or you could try the low rent option of a gas axe torch tip cleaner set from a welding supply company. If you do invest $20 in your own tooling, I would suggest a chucking reamer instead of a drill bit both for the length and the sturdiness. Travers dot com will set you up with the exact size you require(once you know what that diameter is).

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I found a longer drill bit at an industrial supply house to use on a 303. If you look at the cup, you will see a hole where the long drill bit goes through to access the ports.

If you do not want to use a drill motor, get a pin vise at a hobby shop.

Be aware you may be misled on drill size by a carbon buildup in the holes.

HM

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

What you need to get is a drill bit with a number size not a fractional inch size. They size drill bits both ways. HMB

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I have a question for those of you with more expereince using autoloaders on a more daily basis. Is clogging of the gas ports more a result of the design of the gas ports themselves or the chacteristics of the powder being used?

I ask that because I have owned two Remington Model 1100s for close to 40 years. One is a Tournament Trap and the other is a field gun with a matte finish. Those two guns have burned handloaded and factory ammo containing all kinds of powders but I just inspected the ports on all the barrels I have for them with a strong LED penlight. The Remington barrel on the field gun, the Remington fixed choke, step-rib barrel that came on the TT and the Hastings high-rib barrel now on the TT all have ports that are wide open with very little carbon present.

Yet I read threads on here about gas ports clogging quite often. Due to the popularity of Beretta autoloaders, I am wondering if their port design is inferior to Remington's or if some powders are felt to be the cause.

Ed

6. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

i think its a matter of how the gas pushes against the piston-- personally, i use a pipe cleaner (wire w/ fuzz on it bot at walgreens)and i may say not very often-- beretta really never made the ports oversized in the first place and i've had several reamed out slightly to eliminate clogging and to flip out lighter loads- -i have found the carbon buildup on piston stem a bigger problem--some oil on piston or stem compounds the buildup, so i shot them dry at that end! -- i am not argueing the differance between 1100 and 303s but walmart use to stock 1100 orings !!! back to the 303 20ga owner-- does this barrel say 3in mag or is it a 2 3/4in barrel? 20ga barrels seemed to have less tolerance to lite loads and reaming out was common-i had one done last week for a buyer $30---wally riebesell

7. todddietrich

todddietrich Active Member

I dont have a ported shotgun, but I was wondering if a tip cleaner set for an ocy/actylene torch might not work. It would be more forgiving than a drill bit.

Todd

8. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Why would you ream out ports on a Beretta?

Surfer

9. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

It requires a reamer not a drill bit and when doing it go very slow. Watch for a burr on the inside of barrel when done. Do not do both ports without trying one first.

10. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I didn't mean to start a Beretta-Remington controversy but for the record, my 1100 I use for hunting still has its original o-ring and the TT is on its second.

Ed

11. WWB

WWB Member

Thanks for all the help and advice guys, I am going to try that tip cleaner that welders use on Monday--If that doesn't do it I am going to go to the next tip.
    Merry Christmas all and thanks again.

Willie

12. skeet100

skeet100 Member

Took my barrel to a machine shop and they had every numbered size :) I would never attach a motor to a cleaning bit. I use a pin vice and am careful by hand pressure only. I hardly ever get anything out of most ports but I check them while I have it apart.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.