1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bar Code Information???

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Ed Y, Mar 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Some time ago there was an email going around about the information included in the numbers under the bar code on products. As I recall, the first two digits told the country of origin. We were talking about it last night at our club and my friends were unaware of it. One fellow had an app on his phone to read bar codes but it only told information about the product, not the country of origin. Do any of you computer guys have this information or the name of an app to use to get it?

Ed Yanchok
    computer guy wannabe

2. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Found the below info on barcodeinfo.org. I found a few other resources that all said more less the same thing. The first 3 digits will tell you where the bar code originated, but doesn't mean that is where the product was made. One example I saw was that if a fruit company in Mexico imported fruit from Guatemala, the bar code would reflect it came from Mexico because the cmpany was in Mexico.

Scott

Some people check the barcodes of products before they buy them, believing that the first few digits of a barcode represent the country that the product was made in. In reality, this is a complete myth. Barcode numbers do not identify the country of origin of a product.

A barcode tells you nothing about the product itself or about where the product was made. A barcode is simply a unique sequence of numbers which contains no product (or company) information. The only link between a barcode and a product is that which is made on a retailers computer system. The only thing that the first few digits of a barcode can tell you is where the barcode originated from (not where the product originated from). Because a barcode can be used in any country of the world it doesn’t matter which country it originally came from.

If you decide whether or not to buy a product due to the first few digits of its bar code number, you run the risk of supporting only your large national franchises & not your small local businesses. A large number of small (and new) businesses in your area grow, develop & produce their products locally, but get their barcodes from an overseas barcode seller. Many of your small, local companies use barcodes that originally came from another country (due to the often significant cost of purchasing ‘local’ barcodes & paying the required annual fees).

Sometimes it can be hard to tell the ‘country of origin’ of a product – however, if you want to support your local businesses (both small & large), don’t look to the barcode number to tell you about the ‘country of origin’ of a product. Instead, read the rest of the packaging more carefully for information about this.

3. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

I was at a Walgreen buying a heating pad the other day. The prices started at about 15. up to about 50. I was looking at the packaging of the cheapest and it said made in China. I kept looking at all of the Walgreen labeled ones and they were all made in China. I got up to the most expensive one which was a Sunbeam brand and there was no country of origin on the outside of the box. I bought it thinking that I was supporting our economy but when I got it home and opened it I found that it too was made in China.

Ed Yanchok

4. PINOYSHOOTER

PINOYSHOOTER Member

Remember if the first 3 digits is 690-695 then it is Made In China.

00 - 13 USA & CANADA
    30 - 37 FRANCE
    40 - 44 GERMANY
    49 - JAPAN
    50 - UK
    57 - DENMARK
    64 - FINLAND
    76 - SWITZERLAND AND LIECHTENSTEIN
    471- TAIWAN
    628 - SAUDI ARABIA
    629 - UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
    690 - 695 CHINA
    740 - 745 - CENTRAL AMERICA
    ALL 480 CODES ARE MADE IN THE PHILIPPINES

5. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Pinoyshooter -

If you do some research you will find that is not true.

Scott

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.