1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bar-b-queing venison?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kiwiG, Nov 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Shooting Related? Yes, I shot the fallow deer myself. My BBQ is nothing fancy, just a gas heated flat-top. I have some backsteaks off a fallow deer (I'm not sure if you have fallow in the USA, but they are one of the smaller breeds of deer). The steaks are only an inch or so thick. On a low/medium heat how long would you grill them for? Tin-foil or not? Any seasoning or marinades ?(I'm cooking in a couple of hours, so overnight marinating is out). Any help appreciated. Kind Regards-Graham.

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Your favorite dry rub an hour before ... set your "grill" as hot as you can get it, wipe with a little bit of vegetable oil. Toss the steaks on and grill to medium rare ... enjoy!

3. EE

EE Banned User Banned

Grilling is not BBQing. BBQing is long, slow, indirect heat.

4. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

thin steaks, marinated in Soy and Pineapple juice for hours or overnight.....slap on the grill for oh about 38 seconds a side....enjoy!

5. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

To me the less they are cooked, the better that they taste. They taste more and more like deer the drier they get. Within reason, of course.
    Good hot grill, sear one side and give it a minute, then flip, sear, and eat.
    dju

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Another misclassified thread. Certainly not a shootin related.

7. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Hi Guys, Barry...the thread was appropriately titled if the topic doesn't interest you...don't open it. Mr Ahab...I split the steak in half...did one piece the same time and temp as the sausages...suited my wife just fine...the other half I did your way(ish) tin foil, soy marinade, 2.5min each side @ full power...AWESOME. Thanks to those who posted in the appropriate spirit...those who didn't...KISS MY AZZ. Kind Regards-Graham.

8. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

Glad your steaks came out well. Always somebody here nitpicking something. You can ignore them but they won't go away. I found the answers you got to be helpful myself!

Steve

9. rad 53

rad 53 Member

Graham you "Bambi Basher",I 'spose you was looking at 'im through that Burris 3-9x you got on Trade Me when you pulled the trigger right? Good on ya mate! The secret is thin, hot, and fast. Oil on the plate, and salt on the steaks. Very simple and very tasty.Lots of Fallow in my neighbourhood and the best venison save maybe for Japs.Enjoy,we should catch up if you are up in the N.I. sometime,cheers, Donald.

10. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Hi Donald, If you are down this way I guess the 1st beer is on me (after we've put the guns away of course) I'm L/H but my shooting buddy is R/H so there is gear to borrow. Keep your nose out of the scopes on Trademe for a couple of days will you...I have a couple of 'irons in the fire' at the moment LOL. The Burris 6-18 is an awesome scope, but I prefer fixed x's...I had the fixed 6x on my .25-06 that day (and will probably leave it there)...the deer didn't remark on the swap or make any criticism of my choice. Cheers-Graham.

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Something that I like to do with deer and even sometimes lean beef is to prepare them Carne Asada style which is normally done with a skirt steak. To do this you make thin slices (1/2" or less) of the meat with the grain and then season with a bit of pepper and dry garlic. Grill on a hot fire such that you can see the light of the flame coming through the meat. Turn the meat when you start to smell charred meat (about 20 seconds). This process only takes about a minute and a half and you don't want to overcook it, you are looking for rare to mid rare.

Serve these delights up with beans rice and torillas and some jazzed up peppers. Even people that say they don't like deer meat will love this stuff.

And by the way Graham, ignore the crap about where you posted your thread, just a couple of tards trying to make a point about nothing it is freaking rediculous and an embarrasment to the majority of us here. Enjoy eating the deer, sounds like they are alot better fare than the nasty old sage eating mule deer that I chase.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.