1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Banned Question

Discussion in 'Forum Information Threads' started by Michael Terra, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Michael Terra

Michael Terra Member

I have a question. I was just banned for a week for reasons I don't understand. If I am understanding everything completely a member needs to reach 50 posts to be able to have complete access to the posts/PM's etc. in any buy/sell/trade section. I don't understand how I followed the rules, post things in that section then get banned for what appeared to be an assumption I was just posting gibberish to accumulate the posts to participate in the for sale threads.

If there is a rule that 50 posts are needed how can it be assumed if someone is actually participating in threads or is just spewing garbage? Going through and participating in threads on different topics you see all kinds of things.

I just don't understand how rules are set, a person follows them and then gets banned. I am not trying to stir the pot or create animosity but why set rules for members to follow?

Another question I have is I have been making an effort to get involved on posts, comments etc for the last month. If it wasn't for deleted threads my post count would be 4 times higher and it would start getting me some credibility with the "veteran" people on the page.

I completely understand the format that is trying to be and is implemented. You don't want scammers, junk or other garbage on a very good site for conversation and information, but at the same time you make it very challenging for a new member to get established and extremely challenging for someone that wants to participate but doesn't sit in front of a computer all day.

Just wanted some outlook and explanation. I am hoping for honest feedback from people and not just slamming/bashing.

2. WadHopper

WadHopper That guy's full of crap! TS Supporters

I can often tell a guy's trying to reach 50 posts by what he writes before even looking under his avatar. I've also read some really good posts by guys driving their count up by engaging in active topics, offering their input and following along as the thread grows...all while doing the same on other threads.
    What you dont want to do is see your username plastered all over the active topics page with a bunch of one-line replies....that's Smokintom and Hippies job.

yellowlab thanked this.
  3. George MT.

George MT. Moderator Staff Member

Michael Terra you have a PM.

4. Michael Terra

Michael Terra Member

George MT. thanks for the PM. Wadhopper thanks for your response and feedback also. I just want to do things the proper way and be an active participant. I was just discouraged because it looked like a catch 22, the 50 post minimum in a sense can promote meaningless posts. I was trying to get involved in as many threads/topics I was interested in to get my count the proper way, then made a post on a buy/sell thread and got banned. It is water under the bridge at this point, was just wanting some confirmation so I don't get myself back in the same situation.

SD Trap Family and WadHopper thanked this.
  5. 12hunt4

12hunt4 Member

Just cause people make 50 posts, you think you can trust them more then a person that makes 5, 10, etc. I have bought guns on here before the 50 post rule, and they had way more posts. And I was way more scared then them. They got their money, and I had to hope the gun showed up. That is why I would rather do COD. You get your cash when the gun shows up.

6. SD Trap Family

SD Trap Family TS Supporters TS Supporters

Michael, it is great to have you here. As WadHopper stated above, I too can tell and question when someone starts replying with one word or one short sentence and has the last 15 of 20 posts. The Mods are trying to protect us and we appreciate their efforts.

Have fun on here.

Welcome

Bud

George MT. and WadHopper thanked this.
  7. Michael Terra

Michael Terra Member

Thanks for the responses. In the last 2 years I have been active on the website. just a lot of communication with members on private messages, I even bought a K80 from a member that was a very easy and trustworthy transaction when you feel that 8K plus dollars are changing hands. I understand the posts and keeping members protected but can also see that it isn't sure fire also. I was just a little discouraged because I felt like someone was trying to play god, you set a rule/guideline and then didn't honor it. I just felt that if you set a rule and then are going to still make your own assumptions, you are in a sense undermining the structure you are trying to build. The only thing it told me when I tried to log in was to learn the rules and then there was some gibberish that was not understandable. I went back through the rules and I thought I was complying. It is water under the bridge at this point but just wanted to learn/clarify moving forward. My assumption was I got banned because I posted in the buy/sell after I reached my 50 posts. Maybe the mod thought I was just playing the game and not trying to actively participate? I don't know. We live and learn.

8. o1more

o1more TS Member

I personally know Mike he is an outstanding individual and has been an active board member with our competitive team trap shooting league for some years now. I would like to thank him for posting this thread as it further clarifies situations we as past members from TS have to overcome in getting involved in today's re-newed TS forum and be able in taking advantage of all it has to offer. Mike well stated and good job keeping it professional as you always do.

9. Wazman

Wazman Member

Welcome Mike and stay the course for a worth while cause as you will be at 50 before you know it and not think back about. More positives than negatives will get you there.

10. gratney

gratney TS Member

I too don't understand all the rules and was just banned for a few days. I understand as well trying to prevent scammers, I am just in the category of being more in receive mode than being able to contribute....however as I'm looking for my 1st trap gun I do wish I could respond to posts...despite the fact I would be terrified sending a stranger money. At least with GunBroker, there is a middleman that "hopefully" would help resolve any issues. Anyways, I am learning quite a bit from the members and in regards to that, I do have a question in regards to rating used guns. I acutally came across this thread b/c I didn't know if a question like that belonged in the Shooting Related forums or if there was a better place. So far, I haven't seen a different forum that jumped out to me....but I wasn't finished skimming. I just stopped as this thread was relevant to me :) Not mad at all, just trying to learn to navigate the waters!

11. George MT.

Ultimately what I find happens when there someone gets banned in regards to posting is the following and this is in a general sense and not directing at anyone individual.
    1.Someone is cluster or speed posting very minimal statements in regard to the subject being discussed and a lot of times so minimal and off base that it seems like they are just posting as fast as they can and as little as they can to reach the min. posting threshold.
    2.If someone is quoting another member and the reposting---this is a lame one because your are not adding comment you are just quoting someone who already did.
    3.I just seen one that really gets old because it is just mocking the forum rules--someone logs in as a new member and starts doing a posting count down....50....49 ..48...47 ect. that depending on the moderator or administrator will get you a invitation to go elsewhere for awhile.
    4. Also ones that will prod along a rules discussion to the point where it is redundant to just run up a post count.

grntitan thanked this.
  12. Charlie16ga

Charlie16ga TS Member

I would be curious, since the 50 rule was put in to place do the moderators spend more time dealing with touchy members that don't post much and therefore seem to stay grizzled about the rules or did they previous spend more time fighting back to the cause of the rule? I'd think the work load is less today, but one can never be too sure,

13. WadHopper

WadHopper That guy's full of crap! TS Supporters

I think it cheapens the banned member status...some of had to work up to it before we got banned, now they hand it out like candy. Be a real man and get banned for a worthwhile reason ;)

yellowlab thanked this.
  14. Charlie16ga

Charlie16ga TS Member

Wadhopper, you almost make it sounds like a game. The site went from banned equals hardcore thugs, to banned equals 2 minutes in the hockey penalty box. I guess that is in line with how our entire justice system has evolved!

15. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

Has anyone considered setting a time frame minimum in addition to the 50 posts? How about 90 days minimum in addition to the 50 posts as a minimum to post something for sale. I doubt the evil people would be that involved for that long. The for sale section is one of my favorite places to cruise in and I have bought and sold a few things without problems. What do you think?

16. George MT.

Charlie 16 ga. A lot of my time is spent working with members on various things from log on issues--helping new log on's navigate the site--resolving dispute issues weather be from language in posting to a deal in the for sales gone bad---we still get our share of odd scammers who have become more sophisticated and find their way onto the site.

Example: I have constantly told members that are selling items ect. please do not put your email up as if someone with ill intent is cruising the site they do not even have to log on or try to post and guess what---a member that had a item for sale got a email with a hyperlink that he clicked on and it released maleware/data mining virus into his computer and ended up causing some very real problems for the member.

There are still accounts that have been violated like this because a scammer got ahold of the members passwords.
    Please keep in mind that if they get your password and get into your PMs or Email and you have financial info there you end up with a lot more than just a PITA.

So dealing with members who are touchy about some posting things is a minority and normally not a problem as I try to work with everyone as best I can.

Perazzi mx 8 we did consider putting a time frame on posting items for sale but really tried to find a middle ground on some of this as admin./ownership has over 60 other outdoor forums they were looking to standardize some things across their network.

There are forums that only have a 25 post min. but you have to wait 30 days to post a picture or a ad.
    There are some forums that I looked at that had a 100 post min.
    There are some forums that I looked at that had no posting threshold but their classifieds were a complete mess with numerous warnings about scammers---shop at your own risk and I got screw posts with no moderation ect.

So how this relates to bans? There are times when someone get banned due to just bypassing the rules and they just do what they want.
    Ultimately if someone gets banned for whatever reason it is between admin. and the member.

17. George MT.

18. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Banned User Banned

Basically if you are new, or a long time non-contributing member, you have to approach this site like walking into this guys establishment.

[​IMG]

Charlie16ga thanked this.
  19. Charlie16ga

Charlie16ga TS Member

Stl Flyn,

That is a perfect explanation of the feeling. Got a good chuckle out of me!

20. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I participate here and on another site, both of which instituted a 50 post rule. I think it is silly, but I also realize they are not my sites, so I go along with the program. There is always lots of controversy about it. I do most of my buying and selling on Gunbroker.com, so my posts are seldom using the classified ad features. I have purchased a couple guns from users of this site. I don't feel any safer with a man having 100 posts or a man having 10. I still do a lot of checking before sending my money.

A third site got really heavy with rules that seemed to be forever changing, I was "disciplined" for posting a picture off the manufacturers website of the item I had for sale. I guess I was supposed to use only an original picture. The funny thing is the moderator that sited my infraction actually bought my item after deleting my ad. The next week I saw that he posted it for sale (with a proper picture) and sold it for more than I was asking. I was not really offended, as I got the money I was asking, but it was a funny way to run a site. I just do not participate there anymore.

George MT. thanked this.