1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bank fraud through ATMs

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by joe kuhn, May 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Somebody got our PIN and hit our account for $500 in CA and $300 in MN. We saw a $2 charge for a balance query right before the first big withdrawal.

Branch manager said the crooks will place cameras at generic ATMs and get your PIN along with the account number, produce a card for the account, and strip you clean. They didn't do that to me because I don't use generic ATMs that charge the extra few dollars for the trans. I won't pay that, but I've always used the Debit option, so there were many possible leaks.

We won't be using PINs any longer. Safer to do the transaction as a credit and sign on the line. Bank gave us a credit for the theft and reversed all the over drafts.

Just sharing the information wealth. What do you know about possible leaks?

2. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

I always cover the display with my other hand when punching in my pin number.

3. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

what some scam artists do is place an external "card reader" attached to the slot at an ATM machine, where you normally insert your card. Then they gather all of the info they need. I have read reports of some gas stations being hit with this scam as well.

I always check my bank account everyday to look for any wacky stuff going on. A sign of the times...

4. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

Yes, check your bank account and/or credit card account(s) every day!!
    Allen

5. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

I'll probably get flamed for this . . . but I've never understood the use of Debit Cards by people with good credit (i.e. those that could qualify for a credit card).

My outlook has always been that I'd rather charge something and use the banks money for a while, rather than have the money taken out of my account at the time of the purchase. Plus with most credit cards you get some kind of rewards for purchases and don't pay any fees.

I recognize that even if you have good credit, if you are unable to budget to make sure that you can pay the credit card bill at the end of the month then using a credit card can be dangerous.

Scott

6. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

My bank pays a better rate of interest on the account with a minimum of 15 debit transactions per month. Of course, the interest rate either way is very low.

That is one reason I use a debit card from time to time.

I just won't use it at a hotel however due to the large $ amount of holds placed on the account. I use a credit card then.

Allen

7. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Set up your 'smart phone' to receive alerts for certain activity. Our banks now have this as an available option - you can get either email or txt messages for an almost infinite variety of options. One alert we can set is if a single withdrawal is more than $xxx.00. We can also set the frequency of alerts.

Check out your bank. Alerts may not completely stop fraud, but at least you can alert the bank quickly.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

8. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I did away with the ATM cards many years ago when I was younger

Back when they put ATMs in titty bars, I knew I would be in trouble

But then I quit going to tittie bars, and just never got another atm card

9. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

"if you are unable to budget to make sure that you can pay the credit card bill at the end of the month then using a credit card can be dangerous"

I've seen that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.