1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

banged up cheek

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by edwin hicks, Nov 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edwin hicks

edwin hicks TS Member

how come everytime i shoot 100 or 200 rounds i end up with my cheek banged up? i am holding the gun tight in the pocket and i think i have my cheeck down tight on the stock. do you think it would be allright to put some padding on the cheeck holding spot?

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

The gun doesn't fit and/or your lifting your head. May be some pitch issue also.

3. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I have a field gun that does that. I can mount it quick and hit well with it, but it always leaves we with a banged up cheek if I shoot trap with it. I put some moleskin on the comb and it kind of pads it, but it still slaps me some. I just keep it for hunting, where I shoot a lot less shells in a day. If you gun is an O/U, try shooting from the bottom barrel, many claim less face slap from the bottom. Sometimes a lighter shell makes it better. The fit and design of a stock makes a difference in felt recoil.

4. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Pitch is what I would check...........GOOD LUCK

5. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I agree, it's prob'ly a pitch issue mostly. After you've got that fixed, a padded comb helps also.

John C. Saubak

6. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Agreed, pitch is the likely issue. Try a temporary fix with two flat washers between the recoil pad and the wood on the top screw. If that works, install a pitch spacer. You might also need to shorten the stock. Gun fit is the key. Bill Malcolm

7. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

The stock doesn't fit you plain and simple. Check to see if the stock is angled towards your face. If it is, it should be angled away from your face. Sometimes, you will save yourself money and a lot of facial pain by just getting a different stock.
    Steve Balistreri

8. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

I agree that the wrong pitch is the most likely cause of your cheek slap. The bottom "toe" of the recoil pad may be sticking out too far and the reason for the suggested experimental washers on the top recoil pad attachment screw (or a tapered spacer).

As you mount your gun, the whole pad, top to bottom, should make simultaneous contact with your shoulder, just inside of your shoulder joint.

Other causes are too much or too little cheek pressure on the comb, mounting the gun too low on your shoulder resulting in having to tilt your head forward to place your cheek on the comb, turning your head too much toward the stock to align your eye with the rib or shooting with most of your weight on your back foot.

Rollin

9. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

excessive cast-off can result in a bloody cheek

10. bt 99

bt 99 TS Member

My 2 cnts--Run into this same problem on several field and trap guns--fix--i have taken a chopsaw to the stocks--take 1/4 inch off the top of butt of stock--taper to even on bottom of butt. Better quick way is to use washers to about 1/4 thicker on bottom. I even had to do this on my BT 99 Plus as it was kicking up to my face. Object is to get gun to kick straight back or better down from cheek.

Wish i new of the pitch spacers, would have saved a lot of time.

Just checked my BT 99--more washers on bottom of butt plate. Washers on top, stock jumps up into cheek---washers on bottom, gun kicks down away from face. Hope this helps. No offence to anyones ideas but it works for me. Steve

11. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

and........ you could be mounting the gun wrong. Make certain you don't cock your head across the top of the stock. Head should be straight up, i.e. "level".

12. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Another option, if you can try a Kick-ezz Rocker Style Pad--it tends to give a little more negative pitch & might ease your problem.

Phil Berkowitz

13. johnboy

johnboy Member

The sure fire way to eliminate bruised cheek is to install a "Cheek Eez" cheek protector available from Gamaliel for 15.95. Also padded adjustable combs can be installed on gun but are considerbly more expensive and usually reguire mailing stock. One point on putting a stick on pad on the comb is it will raise the POI.

14. TomB

TomB Member

edwin hicks....The solution is quite simple...The stock is "bent" too much for you and the recoil is rotating the gun upward. 1) add weight 2)keep the pressure of the butt as high as possible on your shoulder so that the recoil is more in line with the barrel. If you have an adjustible butt plate, move it up. 3)Get a straighter stock 4)Buy an unsingle Tom B

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.