1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Banff, Canada, Last Week

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Chango2, Jun 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

This little creek opens up to a lake near the hiway. Rain off and on, temps. in the 40's while kayaking last week. Saw lotsa geese with their goslings along the way. Those honkers get suspicious and, well, hiss and honk when one gets near them and their brood. Beautiful area, those Canadian Rockies in Alberta.

Saw some idyllic gunclubs here and there, unfortunately, I'm sans trapgun due to traveling in Canada. Good to be back south of the 49th parallel, some Canadian smaller merchants gouged on money changing like 20% vs. the 2% on the exchange rate.

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    That's why when I go to Canada I get my money exchanged prior to the trip.

3. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Hi Brian,

That's what we should have done, learned that early on and were limited to plastic in Canada where the banks were fair with the exchange. And it was not like that two years ago re. the merchants...

4. jsteenson

jsteenson Member

I'm a Canadian and I've always said if you want good sex, buy Canadian. You get screwed every time. Jack

5. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Good One! Actually, Canada was "great" outside of the exchange money work over a couple of times in, as to be expected, tourist areas "run" not so much by Canadians, but by, IMO, in large part "furriners" on work Visas and in some cases, Canadian youth that were out for adventure and travel. (Banff, Jasper, other small towns in Canadian Rockies.) Friendly, helpful area those places, B.C. and Alberta.

Well worth it...so much to see and explore via kayak, for example. Huge beautiful lakes.

Dande Jack...well we are using a Canadian Bigfoot 25' 4 Season Trailer. Works well in cold and hot weather. Quality coach.

6. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

oops ... double post.

7. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Banff ... where you have to compete with the elk for a parking spot ... they are everywhere!

8. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Ask your credit card company what fees they will charge for using the card in Canada. You may get a good exchange rate when using, but take a hit when you get your monthly bill with added fees for using outside the USA. Each credit card company has different fees.

9. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Ah, I love Jasper and Banff. Been there many times.

Well worth the trip.

Hauxfan!

10. dhwbailey

dhwbailey Member

You are lucky the merchants took your money at all.

Many merchants in the States won't take Canadian money period.

11. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Well life in Montana, USA not too bad. On Flathead Lake, ladies in boat are wife's cousin and wife, left to right. Background is very small section of her cousin's three level "cabin" at 7000 square feet. Located on Flathead Lake near Lakeside. "Big Mike", cousin's husband at the wheel of the pontoon/party boat. After this little boat ride on the lake, (leaving cousin's private dock) we retired to the home theater and watched some movies.
    Wife and I are deeply living in reality; living entire trip in 150 square feet of travel trailer. I don't claim "being in reality" btw.

(Picture taken by Go-Pro Hero II, fun outdoor specialized camera. I wonder about its trapshooting application(s)? Date of picture: Monday June 4, 2012, with a storm in and out of the area.)

I dedicate this picture to "Ric in Montana"...

12. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Chango...sorry to hear of your getting ripped off on exchange. I know if I go further south than Great Falls, MT, most store won't even take Canadian money. And yes, it's always better to get foreign currency at your local bank. I don't know if you AAA card will give you access to Canadian money up here in Alberta at our AMA?

Ron Burr

Lethbridge, AB

13. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Well wasn't ripped of as much as gouged!!! A bit of a difficult trip, we are not home yet. Had the money exchange gouge and a thousand dollar camera stolen (Nikon digital slr with a pro lens) when wife set it down for a short time in a nice retirement home in Olympia, Washington. We were visiting and elderly relative.

Joke is, for me: Someone with dimentia took the camera in error and then forgot what it is and whose it is!

Oh well, vacations....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.