1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ban Release Triggers

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by lumper, Oct 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lumper

lumper TS Member

Ok ... you asked and I did so how about it?

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I did? You did? How about what? LOL

I tried a release on singles and caps for about a month, and did well. My shooting went to pot when I tried shooting dubs, so I went back to the pull for the time being. I am revising my pull technique after 50 years. I am not flinching, just not hitting the trigger hard enough. I think it is called the "yips".

I shoot and train most handheld and shoulder fired arms, and do not have a problem with sidearm or rifle. The riot gun is not problem either. I guess I'm getting old.

3. coloradoshooter25

coloradoshooter25 TS Member

OH MAN>>>LOOK OUT. all the ata guys are going to be on this like stink on shit.

my dad shot release after years of shooting and trying to pull the trigger. the only way he could shoot targets was with double release.

too bad they changed the rules in international to keep release triggers out. there has to be a safe way to make release triggers legal again.

anyways, people that say a flinch can be fixed...maybe they should ask ray stafford or a few others of the big dogs why they shoot release...not because they want to as much HAVE To.

4. lumper

lumper TS Member

Possibly than a new class should be formed for release users only?

How many manufactures make a release trigger direct from the factory? I dont mean having your smithy modify it before he sells you the gun but actually makes a release trigger and ships it from the factory in the gun?

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I really think it is brain damage. LOL I do not flinch, I simply touch the trigger which will NOT fire the shotgun! THEN, I go to heck in a handbasket. I stop the gun, come out of it, and try to recover and take the bird, which is an exercise in futility.

Recoil is not an issue. My K-80 is well balanced, fits, shoots like an air rifle, since I shoot 7/8 oz on everything except caps, then a moderate one ouncer.

I am trying different ways to hit the trigger, including slapping it. This works well, but 50 years of programming is not easy or quick to change. As soon as I go back on autopilt, I have contact with the trigger before I call for the bird. About once a 100 rounds, I "yip". Any advice, other than going to the release?

I am a defensive firearms trainer as well as a shotgun coach and need to stay in the groove on pull triggers.

I wonder about hypnosis.

6. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

I don't think they should be banned, but I do think they should be banned!

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

"Possibly than a new class should be formed for release users only?"

Why?

I do not feel that I am at any disadvantage shooting against people who use release triggers. Why do you? It's the same game. Point and shoot. Just some are pulling to shoot, and some are releasing.

8. lumper

lumper TS Member

I think that the overall class would be so small that they might have problems filling a full squad at almost all but the larger shoots ...

I wonder what the exact actual ratio of release to pull trigger shooters it actually is? 1 release to every 100 pull? 1 release to every 1000 pull? I wonder what the number actually would be ... say at the grand in Sparta? What do you think the percentage would be of release vs. pull?

9. Old Dog

Old Dog TS Member

Some years ago I was shooting with a guy on my left whose gun went off three times in the first fifty targets. The squad gathered around him with advice about when to set his release. "I shoot a pull trigger" he said, "Sometimes I forget to keep my finger off the trigger until I'm ready to shoot."

OD

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Dunno.

I'd bet it's higher than that.

11. Cherokee Kid

Cherokee Kid TS Member

It's easy to recognize the release shooters. They are ones picking up the trophies.

12. lumper

lumper TS Member

And how much of the market do they have in the world? They are all semi-custom low production manufactures which to be honest almost make all there guns per order so you should be able to get almost anything you desire.

What about Kriegoff or Perazzi or Berreta or Remington or Browning or any manufacture that is not a semi-custom low production worldwide manufacture? You know one that you could walk into a place like Guns Unlimited or Jaqua or Hi-Grade or Joel Etchen or any top dealer and say I want a trap gun made at the factory with a release trigger?

13. lumper

lumper TS Member

Ya know to be honest at the last 2 ATA events I went to I didn't see one single release sticker on any gun at all ... they are supposed to be marked that way right? That is in the rule book right?

Lets see now one shoot was a little small and had about 8 or 10 squads and the other had closer to 20 squads and I didn't see any release trigger stickers on any guns at all. I saw some other stickers that said Browning or Perazzi or other advertising but nothing that said release.

Now if there was a total of 25 full squads that would be 125 shooters and by the 50% number there should have been a hell of allot of release trigger stickers around the fields ... but I saw nary a one ... unless they were not following the simple rule of using a sticker.

14. lumper

lumper TS Member

Jerry ... I thank you for your answer and it is a valued response but those manufactures are kind of like ordering a Bentley or a Lexus. If say to Bentley that you desire to have a cigar humidor in the console your going to get a cigar humidor in the console and if you ask Lexus for one they are going to ... well ... tell ya it aint an factory option.

I would suspect also that if you compared those 3 manufactures to say just one that I mentioned that all 3 of those manufactures combined does not equal the amount of BT-99's, Remington 870's or Winchester 12's used today on the trap fields across America and the world.

15. Baber

Baber TS Member

First... This thread was started from onw on" What is bunker Trap". Suggest that posters review that thread before commenting.

Release Triggers have been banned by ISSF the World Wide Governing Body for Olympic Shooting. They have banned it for all forms of shooting not just trap. They believe that RT's are unsafe.

I believe that flinching is form of Target Panic. There are cures and exercises that you can use to improve this situation. The archery community has been addressing it for years. Suggest you Google "Target Panic" (TP) and read.

RT's are treating the symptom not the desiease. Going to a RT should be the last thing one does when trying to control TP. I believe that there are people shooting RT's purely because they thought it was a way to better scores like porting, adjustable stocks,etc.

Unfortunately many people have gone to the RT's without looking at the alternatives. I agree that change is tough. I personally have changed my style of shooting in the last year to address visual problems I have encountered. Its tough but I am making progress. Scores are still down but I am making progress. Good coaching and a sincere desire to change and become a better shooter is what it takes. Unfortunately many shooters take the easy way out by going to the RT first.

The last comment I want to make is regarding a legal issue. None of the major gun manufacturers offer RT's as an option. Not Beretta, Perazzi, K, Browning etc. I have been told Perazzi and Beretta spoke against RT's to the ISSF prior to the ban..Sure some of the micro guys like Ljutic, Afferman, Seitz etc do but its interesting that none of the majors do. Just let there be one accident and some John Edwards Shyster lawyer get a hold of the case and there will be a ban at the ATA level.

TB

16. lumper

lumper TS Member

Visual problems? Do you mean glasses?

Someone want to start the thread... "Ban Glasses"?

;-)))))))))

17. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Lumper....OK if you insist! I'll do it!

18. Cherokee Kid

Cherokee Kid TS Member

Let's see TBaber,

I assume you are the same TBaber listed on the ATA site who hasn't shot a registered target since 2000 with a lifetime total of 3200 singles targets and an average on those somewhere in the mid 80s?

Thanks for your observations and opinions.

lumper: Can you cite the ATA rule about release stickers being required? Nope, I didn't think you could.

19. harpo_old

harpo_old Guest

the issf may have banned the release but if they sent me to the line with a pull trigger they would tell me to go shoot somewhere else!!!!

20. tv-todd

tv-todd Member

lumper,get the facts before you post a thread.release stickers are not required by the ata and many manufactures offer a factory release ,like my kreighoff!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

the ban of the release trigger in olympics