1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ban cell phone while driving

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by ricks1, Jan 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

I saw that they want to ban cell phone use while driving nation wide. The roads would look like a parking lot. The cops would never move. The kids wouldnt get out of the driveway. Hey WHO do you write to?

2. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Every time I almost get hit by a person using a cell phone, I agree that they ought to ban them while driving.

I especially hate it when I see it's a teenager text messaging on her/his phone.

Hauxfan!

3. shadow

shadow Active Member

We had a 58 year old family man killed just last week within a couple of miles of my home by a teenager that was fishing for a dropped cell phone while driving. Head-on collision right in front of a Church that was just letting out the congregation. Little kids saw it happen along with their parents.

The kicker to the whole thing is that the man may have been saved if the "Jaws of Life" hadnt run out of gas while cutting the guy out of his car. Gotta hand it to the local"rescue squad".

4. crusha

crusha TS Member

Do a little test. Next time you're driving on the highway, look around and count the number of people yakking. If they're women, see how many are still yakking, 25 more miles on down the highway.

It's a free country...but damn. What did these people do, before the Bat Phone was invented?

5. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

My wife and her girlfriends are trying to kill each other with their constant texting of each other will driving.

I keep telling her they have this great technology where you can actually talk to each other with out having to type.

6. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

The flood gates have been opened so it's too late to "Ban Cell Phones while Driving"...sorta akin to alcohol while driving.

The powers to be can't/won't do anything about that, no one should expect anything to happen with the cell phone problems.

Curt

7. Hydra

Hydra TS Member

I use to drive for a co all day and have seen alot of stupid people on the phone. Its bad enough to have DMV give drivers lic to people who can't drive then give them a cell phone. I will not blame all of this on the teenagers, I will blame both teens and adults. All will get on the cell and slow down and block traffic. All will swerve to the left and right. I was almost run into the guardrail by a lady who was trying to make a U turn with a stickshift and talk on her cell. I avoided her but the lady behind me was almost hit by her and came closer to the guardrail then I did. I then stopped and got out and yelled at her. She did not miss a word on the phone. She just did not care. She was going to talk on the phone no matter what. I did call the police and whether anything was done I don't know. I agree that cell phones should be banned. There are to many people who can't drive and chew gum at the same time.

8. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

People will spend $600 on a phone but won't spend another $100 for a hands free. I figure this is no more dangerous than having a conversation with someone in the car. I travel a lot and have to conduct business on the road, if in a place where I can I pull over.

I see several people reading the paper or a book, texting or are just crappy drivers, what can you do. Cell phones are only part of the problem. There is a catch all called reckless driving, maybe they should just use the laws on the books to cover this problem. Kinda like gun control huh. Seems there is no way to legislate stupidity.

9. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

Here in town we had a 7 yr. old boy killed while riding in the family car that was struck by another driver using a cell phone while driving. Most people simply can't multi-task. You want to talk on the phone, stay home! JMO
    I belong to the gun club at Scott Air Force base & it is illegal to use a cell phone while driving on base. I believe hands free "might" be exempt, but not sure about that. You will get a ticket for any violations. Good law in my opinion. Colonel

10. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Under this law you could not even use a blue tooth ? Then they had better ban talking to passengers in the car too I guess along with the radio.

Rock

Jim

11. Delbert

Delbert TS Member

I'm with you benniesdad- the truth is that distractions are just part of driving, whether they be cell phones or others. Back in the days when nearly everybody smoked, there were many wrecks caused by people trying to retrieve a cigarette they dropped. You didn't hear any blather about banning smoking while driving because that was before the day of the nanny government. Heck, there are many wrecks caused by a driver changing the radio station- should we ban radios from cars? Perhaps we should ban passengers too since the driver might get distracted by talking to them.

Looks like there are some quasi-conservatives on this forum who are really closet liberals. The next thing they'll want is a ban on fartin while driving. Gimme a break.

12. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I do most of my cell phone talking while driving. I am not dangerous while talking but maybe while dialing the number. I witnessed a wreck once right in front of me from a guy talking on his cell phone going right through a red light and crashing into the side of a car. But he probably couldn't walk and chew gum at the same time either. I am more dangerous while eating. I snack every morning on the way to work and in the evening on the way home. I am most dangerous driving while sleepy. When I was a teenager I had a job that sometimes required me to work until 2:00 in the morning. Those endless stripes in the middle of the road going by would hypnotize me and put me to sleep. I don't remember how many times I woke up on the wrong side of the road. Now I pull over and take a nap when I am that sleepy. I hope they don't ban talking on the phone. One of the few pleasures I have while sitting in traffic. Ban liberalism. Now there is something that hurts America.

13. Delbert

Delbert TS Member

I forgot sleeping while driving- we should ban that too !!!!!!! It's really not difficult to talk (on a phone, to a passenger or to oneself) and drive at the same time. People who can't do that would be dangerous drivers if you outlawed every kind of distraction possible. Banning cell phones won't magically turn bad drivers into good ones.

14. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Ban cell phones, people don't kill people cell phones do!

15. partygirl

partygirl TS Member

I'm all for letting people use cell phones while driving as long as the phone has its seat belt fastened.

16. len loma

len loma TS Member

Two weeks ago I was rear ended when I was going 25 mph down a city street by a young mother on a cell. They are as dangerous as a drunk driver and every where. Now with 99% of soccer moms and MADD mothers yakking on them I highly doubt if they will do anything.

17. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I saw a woman in Des Moines eating a bowl of cereal at stop lights. She would hold the bowl with one hand while she drove.

18. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

You can't stop it anyway. Put it in the seat beside you on speaker phone. Unless they pass a law prohibiting talking to yourself while you are driving. If they pass a law prohibiting me from talking to other drivers while driving I am in trouble.

19. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

i live in a county seat town in s e iowa. i see as many of the local police officers on cell phones as private citizens while driving. i have in excess of 3 & 1/2 million miles under my belt driving around this country. i haven,t seen everything but i have seen more than most people.there are many things besides cell phones that distract drivers. the one that stands out most to me is about 15 /16 years ago i was coming north on 35 towards kansas city about 2 or 3 in the morning. around olathe i noticed a small pickup driving nearly beside my drivers door. it pulled up far enough for me to see clearly down into the cab. there was a nude lady driving the pickup with a light mounted on the dash that lit up quite a bit of her body. she had a spray can of whip cream & was spraying it on her ,then rubbing it all over then spraying more. trust me this is quite a distraction while driving.we were nearly right downtown when she signaled me to follow her .she then exited near downtown .i never followed her off the exit as i didn,t think that would be a good idea for me. people have died in situations similar to this. i still think of this from time to time coming thru kansas city. dwain

20. Juno

Juno TS Member

My friend and I were riding in his Dodge Ram. We were going through an intersection and a lady in a small mitsubishi made a left turn head on into us. We drove right up on top of that car! Of course she was on the cell phone! Luckily no one was seriously hurt, but her car was thrashed. She also had no insurance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.