1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ballistol

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wayneo, Jul 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

About six weeks ago I posted a thread why black powder bore cleaner was so much cheaper than other bore cleaners like Hoppes's, Shooters Choice, etc. I didn't know black powder bore cleaners were soap and water. A guy whose sign on name is PARebel suggested a product called Ballistol. Well I ordered some from Midway, and this stuff is the best s**t I've ever used. My wood levels for laying brick, gun stocks on my GTI, and SX-1, leather hull pouches, work boots, etc. It cleans bores and chokes. Absolutely the most complete product I've ever bought. Wayne

2. paul e. stark

paul e. stark TS Member

The stuff is damn good on a salad too!

3. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your discovery...!!!!
    I first heard about it from other blackpowder shooters. If I'm not mistaken, the original formula was developed by the British as an All-Around solvent/cleaner that could be used on EVERYTHING in a soldier's kit from their rifle, both metal AND wood.. to their leather gear ( this was WWI...prior to the extensive use of Web gear..). Pretty amazing stuff..if you don't mind the "unique" aroma.

4. shadow

shadow Active Member

Been using it for years.

5. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Just remember Ballistol is NOT a water displacing product per se, it instead 'suspends' the water in the oil.

This is OK for 'short term' but if you are going to store guns for a long time the oil might let the water settle out and rust can occur.

It is this suspension that makes it so good for cleaning and use on leather and the like.

Also good to protect cuts and the like from infection until proper care can be sought (think cuts on dog paws when hunting...)

6. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

It took the corns right off my toes and the callus's off my feet.

Good stuff...........lol

Hauxfan!

7. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I sell it. Just received a shipment in yesterday. I will have it @ the Grand, and will also have it available to purchase on my website this weekend. Contact me if interested.

Matt - Woodson Ent.

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

This stuff has been popular in Europe for generations. It was made in WWI to keep German machine guns going. It is overkill for sporting arms, but this is a good thing. I have used and recommended it for years. It is made from coal.

It is also non toxic, which means if the house pet steps in it and licks its paw, it will not get sick. It can be used on wood or plants, as well as open wounds. Truly an all around "magic" elixir for firearms and the Gun Culture.

9. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

I sell 24 to 36 cans every 30 to 45 days here in our shop. Would not recomend anything else.

Scott

10. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

It was made up for Class III weapons for cold weather. If its good enough for that its good enough for me. I too have been using it for years and I bought 6 to 7 can when I found it on a clearance sale. That was all they had.

11. tj303

tj303 Member

what is the diference between CLENZOIL and BALLISTOL? Which, in your humble opinion, is better?

12. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

As mentioned above, just got in a shipment yesterday. This is the best stuff that I have ever used. I use it for all my gun cleaning. It makes plastic buildup disappear. I have it in 6 ounce cans. I sell it for $6.50 a can plus shipping (cheaper than Midway USA). If you haven't tried this, I strongly advise it.

Matt - Woodson Enterprises

13. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Matt, will you be selling the cans of 16oz liquid, or just the spray? Wayne

14. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

wayneo,

I will be selling the 16oz. spray also. Just haven't got it in yet.

Matt - Woodson Ent.

15. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Survivalist also use it for a disinfectant for minor cuts (because of the alcohol content)and the like.

The lable says it is good for about anything and I almost believe them.

And it does mix with water and the water will not rust just evaporate and leaves a oil coating. That is what I found to be true when I use a wool wipe saturated with Ballistol. I cleaned a C1018 steel plate with mineral spirits and alcohol. Then dipped the plate in water and wiped it down with a wool wipe. Let it dry and all that was left was a oily residue and no rust.

Mixed with water it is a good but expensive boring oil.

And it does a good job of waterproofing work and hunting boots. Will turn the color darker but leaves them soft and pliable.

If you get a H&K gun it comes with Balistol on the gun from the factory.
    Those crazy Germans still use it today.

The only thing that is not a plus is it does not work instantly you should let it set on the surface for a while then clean as usual. Well that an the smell, I don't mind but the wife complains.

Rock

Jim