1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ballistic gel

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by d endicott, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. d endicott

d endicott Member

has anyone ever tried making ballistic gel? where would you get it in any quanity to work for a rifle? thanks

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

For convenience, I use Perma Gel. Read up on it. I load commercially, and need to use this stuff to develop niche defensive ammo for short barreled 38's.

I would not waste the money to test factory ammo.

3. d endicott

d endicott Member

thanks for your help

4. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

Real live ballistic geletin is really expensive stuff. I was blown away! the material to make a, 8x8x24 block is about $75.00!

The stuff is cool in that you can see what the bullet has done during it's trip thru the jello, in the case of rifle ammo you are looking at having to have 3-6 feet of blocks.

In the case of my 45-70 with Solid Brass bullets I'd need 4 of them lined up in a row. That's $300 per shot!

A 45-70 with a solid 400gr lead bullet will penetrate thru 48" of wet newspaper. which is worth exactly nothing.

The jello is good if you don't have to pay for it, and I would dearly like to have bunches to develope my hollow point brass or copper bullets, but it ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

I talked to the guy who sells the stuff at the SHOT Show and he agreed it was expensive. But if your the govt who cares if you spend our money?

Randy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.