1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ball joints?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by higun, Nov 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. higun

higun Member

On average, how many miles should upper ball joints last in an '07 Suburban?

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

In a made in the USA vehicle they are designed to fail, in some foreign made vehicles like a Sante Fe they seem to last forever. HMB

3. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Higun I would think they would be designed to last a few thousand miles past the warranty, whatever that is. I know I drive a one ton dodge truck and it eats front end parts. Not a cheap fix either. Dan

4. tdhusker

tdhusker TS Member

It sure seems like it. If you live in snowy country, the road salt eats them up quicker.

5. dhip

dhip Active Member

just make sure when you replace them,get after market heavy duty ball joints.Did that with my Dodge,they last alot longer.

Doug H.

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

It all depends on the kind of driving you do. I have seen them fail in 60,000 miles, one of my truck's has 140,000 and they are still tight

7. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

Aftermarket balls usually have a grease fitting. The OEM joints dont. I had a few Ford trucks that barely got 60,000 miles on the factory ball joints.

8. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I made a ton of money doing ball joints, especially on Ford trucks and the Taurus. I never did understand how they lasted forever on Japanese vehicles, but wore out constantly on American made cars and trucks. There were times when vehicles would have less than 36,000 miles and they would be completely wiped out. Unbelievable.

9. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

Many replacement parts are coming from China and are made with poor grade metal.

10. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I don't know how good your 07 suburban has been but I purchased one brand new for my wife and it was a pile of sh!t from the get go. Needless to say it was traded on a brand spanking new Mercedes Benz.

11. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

When the time comes on our Jeep Patriot, I'm definitely gonna get Moog replacement ball joints along with Moog tie rod ends.

12. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Get after market ball joints, non geaseable they generally last longer because little chance for water and dirt to get in. Grease zerks are where they get in from. If you get greasable ones, lube them offen!

After market ones are generally better. I had a set in a Ford 4x4 that were NAPA's best life tiime ones. LASTED one week!!

With parts, anything can and will happen.

13. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Thats the secret, if they are greaseable, you have to do it often.

14. higun

higun Member

So here is the story.

I bought the “Burb” new in 2007. I have it in for grease, oil & filter every 3000 - 3500 miles at the original dealer. That can be documented.

I had an accident at about 55,000 miles and was told that the upper ball joints on both sides needed replacement as a result. The ball joints were replaced and the insurance company covered the expense.

Last week I went in for my usual service and the technician recommended replacing the upper ball joints on the right side. I’m currently at 110,000 miles. It seemed unlikely to me that ball joints should last only 55,000 miles.

99.9% of my driving is done on relatively smooth paved roads.

The vehicle has been great in all respects. I just don’t want to fall victim to an unnecessary repair.

I think I’ll get a second opinion from another shop.

15. mwm86

mwm86 Member

Agreed strongly with Miketmx. Go with MOOG performance parts. Very good price on very good parts. Have used them in two different dirt track race cars and they performed flawlessly. You can't abuse them much more than we did on the track. Bret

16. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I had a 98 1500 with original Ball Joints at 250K...

17. JRW

JRW Member

2003 Yukon XL 140,000 still going strong, keep them greased. Jerry in MI

18. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Hey ... does Moog make them for us old guys?

Mine are starting to sag.

:-(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.