1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bald Eagle

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by KENENT1, Jan 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I live out side of Beloit WI, in Rockton, IL...we are 90 mi. west of Chicago.

Driving to town yesterday, about 1/8 mile from my drive way...there is a Bald Eagle on the side of the road picking at a dead deer!!!!

The bird is awsom!!

Have never seen an eagle in this area, there are a few up in Wisconsin, and I have seen them west alonf the Mississippi river..

took some pics. will post them later.

tony

2. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I got to see one beside the road a couple weeks ago. They are majestic. When it flew off, I noticed that it's tail feathers were all white too, didn't realize that. What a gorgeous animal.

3. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

When I travel the Columbia Gorge in the fall and winter, there are 25 to 50 of them feeding on the dead salmon/steelhead along the river banks. The adults are beautiful but the young ones are kind of drab. BRGII

4. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

They are getting pretty common here in west central Iowa. We have a river impoundment that keeps the outflow open all winter and they hang around that along with ducks and geese.

5. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Sounds as if the Eagle may be spreading out and enlarging it's range from the Mississippi river wher it is common to see them. I get out to Galena frequently and enjoy watching the big birds of prey.

6. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

In March our daughter goes to Kananaskis Country about 40 miles West of Calgary to watch the Eagle migration to the North. 1000's of eagles catch the air currents and soar high in the sky on their journey.

7. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

I live about 40 miles north of Keokuk,Iowa and eight miles East of the river.

The Eagles are clear up here feeding on dead deer.
    We have a few hog confinements here.They like to feed on the small dead hogs.

I have a lot on the river to park and keep my boats.

There day before yesterday and counted 28 in the trees and around an open hole in the river.Dead shad.<fish were floating under the ice from a creek about three hundred yards north.When they came to the open hole they came to surface.
    The Eagles thought they were at Ryans Steak House.

They are starting to nest here now.I know of two nest.
    They are big,just a guess six foot accross.

Bocephas

8. shadow

shadow Active Member

I live on Barkley Lake in W.Ky and they are fairly common here. There is a nesting pair in the trees across the bay from our home. Beautiful birds !

9. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

They are amazing birds without a doubt. Whenever I see one I am just amazed. There are very few sites that are more mesmerizing than that!
    -Trappy

10. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

We have a nesting pair 1/2 mile from office in Ohio. They ODNR dude said the nest is the size of a volkswagon, and weighs more. Doesn't look that big from the road.

11. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

I know that a lot of people look upon Massachusetts as not a cool state and in most cases I have to agree. Especially when it come to the shooting sports and gun laws.

Mass. does however have a program called the Eagle Restoration Project. The link at the top of this post shows some of the fruits of their labors. During the nesting/breeding season. They have a web cam set up so you can go to the website during the day and observe the Eagles through out the entire nesting, hatching, and raising of the young.

Right know on the link you can see photos and videos of last years works. Just thought I would mention it. In case any are interested.

Bob Lawless

12. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

I have two close by lakes to my home in Kansas which they tend to winter at. The most I have counted at one time was 27 different birds. We occasionally get to view a Golden also.

13. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Congrats on seeing the first one up close. They are something aren't they? I was told that the bald eagles take 3 years to 5 years to get their white head and tail feathers. We frequently see a pair of them working the river at Havana Illinois while I'm working on the power plant project. The larger of the birds will be the female if you see a pair together. Dan

14. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I saw a few feeding on fish on Lake Eufaula this past year. They are one awsome bird. I couldn't believe how big they are. One grown one was ripping meat off the bone and feeding it to a young bird that was almost as big as it's momma.

One was wounded(shot) just outside of Dothan Alabama last month and they were trying to find out how and who was involved. I haven't heard anything else about it since seeing it on the news. Jackie B.

15. trench12

trench12 TS Member

come out to the Quad cities. Eagles are as thick as crows here. Open water near the locks and dams attract them. Not uncommon to see 30-40 at a time. If you want some pics just let me know TG

16. otnot

otnot Active Member

This is my backyard:

<a href="http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i76/otnot06/?action=view&current=Eagles008.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i76/otnot06/?action=view&current=Eagles007.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i76/otnot06/?action=view&current=Bald_Eagle_watching_for_Salmon_jpg.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i76/otnot06/?action=view&current=Fish_Watch_jpg.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

17. Wahoo

Wahoo TS Member

Mason's Neck State Park in Northern Virginia, southeast of the District of Confusion, is dedicated to these birds. The park has erected sites where the birds can be obseerved easily without the people getting so close to them that they get nervous and leave. They are all up and down the rivers and estuaries in Virginia's Tidewater. I have on three separate occasions seen them while fishing on Buggs Island Lake here in Southside Virginia which is 150 or so miles inland from Tidewater.

18. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

Pennsylvania, although not a large population of Bald Eagles, we don't come up short.

Check out the Pennsylvania Game Commission web site at the URL above. The Commission is actively promoting Eagles.

I live in Lancaster County about seven miles from the Susquehanna River. It is not uncommon to see Eagles along the river.

Hey otnot, GREAT PICTURES thanks for sharing.

Frank

19. trench12

trench12 TS Member

one of my favorites

20. arend003

arend003 Member

Have had
    a nesting pair now for years a block from my house in Minnesota .. very majestic to watch

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.