1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Balance of trap gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SMOKEIT, Mar 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

I think "balance" is not so important. The moment if inertia of the gun and overall weight is probably more important.....SMOKIT

2. Sam Ogle

Sam Ogle Member

Fellows with more experience will chip in here, but my experiences is this: I have a nice English side by side, and balance at the hinge pin suits it.
    But, I have a single barrel trap gun (Ljutic), and I like some weight past the hinge pin. It makes my swing smoother to the target. IMHO these are two different types of gun with different handling characteristics.

Sam Ogle, Lincoln, NE

3. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Different strokes for different folks ... some people like their gun balanced at the hinge, some like the barrels lively and others shoot a gun that is barrel heavy. There are lots of weights available to change the dynamics of shotguns. You could experiment with lead shot contained in something, so it doesn't migrate inside the stock. Bill Malcolm

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

When shooting trap it is nice to have a gun with an adjustable balance system. This way you can set the gun for optimum performance depending on what station you are on. I move the balance point back for stations 1 and 5 and move it foward for stations 2, 3, and 4. HMB

5. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Shooting trap requires a very deliberate or controlled, "quiet" gun movement. Quite different than skeet, sporting or, certainly, live bird hunting. Accordingly, different handling characteristics may be in order.

WNCRob

6. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

To me, the best balanced gun was the model 12. You want it between the hands.
    Steve Balistreri

7. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

shorten or lengthen your grip on the fore end.

8. Maurice

Maurice Member

Senior Smoke is correct, it all depends how one holds their gun. If one holds the leading hand out towards the the front of the forend then the point of balance should be forward of the hinge pin. If one holds the leading hand towards the back end of the forend then the point of balance should be behind the hinge pin. Steve as far as the model 12 being the best balanced gun, it all depends on how one holds and mounts the gun. Maurice ( The Brit. )

9. wm rike

wm rike Member

Field guns will balance about 4.5" in front of the trigger. Most trap guns are around 5+/-", so they are a bit front heavy. If the weight is too far forward your usually well-co-ordinated trigger hand will have less influence and the butt will want to climb around on your shoulder

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

To me, balance is very important with my grouse/bird guns! Important because it's thrown to the shoulder and fired very quick at very fast birds.

Trap guns mounted long before a target is called for, doesn't need the English balance that game guns do. If I stuck my heavy trap gun to your shoulder and you tucked it in, I seriously doubt if you could tell me whether or not if that gun is balanced or not nor where it balances?

Hap

11. Sam Ogle

Sam Ogle Member

HMB;
    You kiddin' us? You change the balance between stations???
    Jeeez.
    Sam Ogle

12. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

Game guns are much lighter--that is why they they mount and point quick...not balance so much...SMOKIT

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Carrying a game gun all day long can't be in the port arms position between the hands all the time. A lot of time is spent carrying it in one hand or other and if it's not somewhat balanced, it's a PITA to hunt with or carry for me.

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
balance behind the hinge pin
balance point for trap
balance point trap shotguns

balancing a shotgun

ballance a shotgun
how do they ballance a shotgun
how to balance a trapgun
trap gun front heavy