1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Balance beam scale problems

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Shooting Sailor, Mar 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

I have an RCBS 505 scale, which I have been using for years. I changed powder bushings today, to start loading sme handicap rounds, and the beam on the scale seems to find level if the charge weight is within about 2 grains of the setting on the beam. If it is light, the beam settles just under level, and if it is heavy, the beam goes just over level. Normally, it would waver up and down through level several times, before settling on level, if the weight thrown was the setting on the scale. Now, it just goes up a tad over level, a bit under, and settles.

I have removed the beam from the cradle and examined the cradle for anything that could be causing this, or any imperfections, but there is nothing visible. The tab on the nose of the beam is clear of the body of the scale, there is nothing around it which would impair free movement, yet it does this every time I weigh anything. I checked it for true by setting it level with an empty pan, then used a 308.6 grain weight from an electronic scale (which died long ago), and it evened out from 306.9 all the way to 309.5 grains.

I'm stymied as to what could be causing this! I could buy a new scale, but if I could do an easy fix, I would be happy.

Has anyone ever run into this problem, and if you did, what did you do to fix it?

2. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I had a Pacific-M do that, it was the pin in the back of the beam that holds the little wire. It had moved out of center, and the weight hanging off of it was not swinging free. The weight has to swing free, to let the beam an magnet do its job.

Wayne

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

That is exactly why I prefer the hydraulic scales

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

What wayneo said.

These scales need everything in one plane. If the pivots are clean and the load is vertical it can only move in one direction. Also the magnet should be in the slot correctly.

My usual problem is the pan not being centered or a bit of flotsam in the pivots.

I have had the same scale for 40 years, and it still works perfect as long as I keep it clean.

HM

5. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Take a magnifying glass and look for any nick on the pivots on the beam. I keep a soft brush nearby and "sweep" the agate pivots on the base every time I use it. Like already said look for anything bent.

6. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

I have looked at the pivots, and they are clean and like new. The balance pins that sit in the pivots are straight, the beam is straight, the pan is centered and hanging freely, the tab on the end of the beam is straight, and nothing seems to be rubbing anywhere it shouldn't.

I took the beam off the scale, turned the body of the scale upside down, and looked at the magnets. They are both secure in place. I tried touching them with a dental pick I use for cleaning guns, and it seems like there may be a slight difference in magnetic strength between the two magnets. By slight, I mean I'm not sure if there is or not, it just seems that there is to me. Do you think this may be the cause of the problem?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

balance beam powder scale problems

problems with rcbs balance beam scale