1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Balance and fit! A discussion.....

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JBrooks, Sep 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

If your gun is adjusted to where you have a comfortable gun mount that you can easily replicate, and if you don't, the mounted gun feels uncomfortable, you should have a gun that will shoot where you look. If it is adjusted so that it's POI allows you to see the target until you pull the trigger, you will learn to shoot it regardless of its pattern POI percentage.

If you're comfortable with you gun mount and can replicate it and you are shooting 90+, you are probably not missing the other 10 because of gun fit. Poor gun mount maybe, but not poor gun fit. If you mount your gun and it doesn't quite feel right yet call for the target anyway without re-mounting, you are just asking for a miss.

Assuming the above, most misses are caused by not maintaining the geometry of your gun mount through your swing to the target either by lifting your head or swinging the gun with your arms.

The reality is that most of us can not maintain that geometry 100X100 very often, if at all. The bigger reality is that the vast majority of shooters are unable or unwilling to practice shooting enough to learn how to maintain that geometry 95%+ of the time.

The biggest reality is that if you hit 50 golf balls or shoot 50 targets a week, you will never reach your potential in either sport. However, our unwillingness or inability to practice keeps golfers buying new clubs and shooters buying new guns.

2. smartass

smartass TS Member

Are you trying to sell a book, or what?

3. KiloMike

KiloMike TS Member

I, for one, appreciate these types of threads. I shot my first round of trap just about 1 month ago. For that matter, it was the first time (at least in my adult life) that I had ever fired a shotgun. Tomorrow, I get to take ownership of my very own brand new Winchester Super X2 Sporting Clays shotgun. I have no plans to shoot a single registered target, although I'm not ruling that out in the future. I simply want to shoot well for the sake of shooting well. I got started because some friends of mine who shoot occasionally for fun organized an event for my church and invited me to go. Now, I go for the pure enjoyment of watching those little targets disappear into a cloud of dust (and I guess the frustration of the ones that don't).

But I am also a nerd. That is, when I am interested in something, I read everything I can find about the subject. I read with great interest all the posts about target setting differences at different altitudes, what loads work best for the first and second targets in doubles, and how you can tell when a skeet shooter is keeping his head level... because drool runs out both sides of his mouth. (OK, I made that one up...)

I don't know who any of the "big dogs" are, who the man with the ten gallon hat is, or why in the world you would have a bar at a gun club, but every one of these discussions helps me understand the world of trapshooting more and some, like Neil, Rollin, Phil, Pat, et. al., may even provide information I can use to make me a better shooter. So, regardless of what Anonymous or Shootlow have to say, keep on posting these types of threads, Biff. Thanks!

Kevin

4. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Welcome aboard Kevin. I hope you give registered a try once you get comfortable with your shooting. You don't have to be good, you just have to want to get better and registered is a great way to measure that.

Now, a note to all you gun club members out there. See where Kevin came from and how he got here? This is how you grow your club and fulfill your responsibilty to the sport. If you are not bringing in new members, you are wasting the resources of your club.

5. smartass

smartass TS Member

Hey, Kevin, I didn't complain about the thread so don't get your panties in a knot- ya baby.

6. KiloMike

KiloMike TS Member

Sorry if you got upset, Anon. Just seemed like you made a pointless post with what I interpreted as a disparaging tone toward Biff. Sorry if I misread the intent of your post.

Kevin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.