1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Baker single barrel trap guns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BILL GRILL, Jan 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

William Baker and his brother Ellis started the Baker Gun Co. in 1887 in Syracuse,Ny they made hammer doubles there for about two years and then moved to Batavia,Ny. William died on Oct 10,1889 and his brother Ellis became president of the newly formed Baker Gun Co. Before that it was the Syracuse Forging Co. The Baker gun co produced guns until Dec 24,1919 and was then sold.
    They were highly involved in trap shooting sponsoring W.R. Crosby, one of America's finest trap and live pigeon shooters. All this info comes from Frank F. conley's book The Americam Single Barrel Trap GUN. Here are some fine examples of Baker Trap Guns
    <a href="http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/billgrill/?action=view¤t=DSC00377.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/billgrill/?action=view¤t=DSC00376.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

2. BILL GRILL

3. BILL GRILL

4. SPORTALLURING

SPORTALLURING Active Member

Hello Bill Grill, what do you know about Elite Grade Baker SBT. I collect
    Trapshooting memorbilia and a few American Single barrel trap guns. Looking at adding to my collection.
    Randy

5. BILL GRILL

Randy, Baker trap guns came in three grades, Sterling,Elite, and Superba.The Baker Gun Co. considered all three grades HIGH GRADE shotguns. They were the only company that advertised a full refund if for any reason you were not completly satisfied. There is quit a bit of info in Conley's book about Bakers.
    Looks like wood and engraving quality went up as the grades are listed above. I would consider a Elite a prize. The guns above in picture ranged in price from $600 to $2500. The $600.00 one being a beater when I bought it. Also upgrades were available in wood,checkering, and barrel length in all grades. Bill

6. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

After talking with Mr. Grill I took the plunge.

A Baker Elite made between 1915 and 1919.

Thanks Bill!

Lou W.

[​IMG]

7. Bushmaster1313

In my previous post I did not know how to put in the images of the Baker Elite:
    Here they are

Lou W:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Bushmaster1313

Finally,

Can anyone tell me about the rather ungainly recoil pad in the pictures above.
    It says "Morgan Adjustable" and "Youngstown O"

Thanks

Lou W

9. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

20 years ago the Morgan was state of the art. Still available today. What the gun needs is a nice leather covered period style pad ,in my opinion. I still have the one I removed from my first K-32 many years ago. Jeff

10. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Interesting, there a few features on those guns that seem similar to what you see on the older Ithaca SBT's. Excuse my ignorance, but were those two companies in any way affiliated with each other? Considering they were both in the same business, around the same time, in the same area. Or were they simply rivals? Josh

11. Bushmaster1313

All:

Any suggestions as to what I should do to enhance the beauty and utility of the stock while preserving the history and value are sincerely appreciated.

Lou W.

12. BILL GRILL

Lou, That is a beauty if you ever part with it I want it! I will pm you with period correct pad, throw that POS morgan away or sell it on a post here it does not belong on a gun like that. You did good! Bill

13. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

Cant stop wanting to kick myself for trading my beautiful Ithaca 4E, Mike Weatherby, take good care of it!

Berettaman7

14. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Interesting reading. Thank you for sharing. Awesome pictures. Omaha

15. Bushmaster1313

The Morgan has been successfully removed from the Baker.
    One screw let me remove the outer plate from the inner plate.
    Two additional screws let me remove the inner plate from the butt.

(The removed Morgan is in remarkably good shape for a very old pad. It is free to a good home on the condition that it gets used and not sold.)

Under the inner plate is a hard red/orange flat plate affixed to the butt with small nails spaced about 1/4 inch all around. There is what looks like old black glue stuck to the outer surface of the red/orange plate.

Being a novice, I am not sure how to measure length of pull, but it
    measures 14 1/8 inches from the end of the butt to the inside of the trigger.

I think Connecticut Shotgun Works has period correct recoil pads.

Is there any magic to putting one on?

Can any competant gunsmith grind to fit?

Should the new butt pad be glued to the existing plate, or simply attached using the two existing screw holes?

BILL, if you have the Conley book could you please recommend a pad from the Connecticut online catalogue.

Regards

Lou

16. Bushmaster1313

Last question for now:

What should I use to enhance and preserve the wood?

Can I put clear paste wax on the non checkered wood?

What about the checkered wood?

Should I use a furniture cream?

I have heard that you really do not want to do much to the wood of an old gun.

Also, the existing butt holes are 3 1/8" apart. Can I still but a Hawkins reproduction if it has 3 1/4" holes.

Thanks

Lou W

17. BILL GRILL

Lou, Mr.Conley's book does not show a picture of recoil pads on any Bakers. In the company adds in the book the pads look like the bottom gun in the first picture on this thread. Here are a couple more pictures of two different type forends and an open action.
    <a href="http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/billgrill/?action=view¤t=DSC00397.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>
    <a href="http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/billgrill/?action=view¤t=DSC00398.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

18. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

The Double Gun Journal has a very good article on Baker Single Barrel trap guns in the current issue.

19. BILL GRILL

It is volume 19 issue 3 fall 2008. Issue 4 winter 2008 is out. But thanks for the heads up I had not noticed it yet.. Bill

20. Bushmaster1313

The Morgan pad is spoken for.

More pictures will be coming of the Baker Elite when I figure out how to take close ups.

Lou W.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
baker elite shotgun
baker elite trap gun
baker gun company sterling

baker single barrel trap gun

baker sterling model trap gun

baker trap gun

baker trap shotgun

single barrel trap guns