1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Baker big bore ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tracyhunter, Jun 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

I have never seen a big bore at a shoot nor seen a "big dog" shoot one.all hype? are they worth the money?

2. chipking

chipking TS Member

I had a 3200 with a .800 Baker Big Bore. Personal opinion is that it was far more trouble than it was worth. Bloopers with factory ammo even when the temps were in the 50s and 60s. Pain in the butt to load for for the same reasons. Only found a couple of wads that would work with the big bore.

--- Chip King ---

3. illtrap1

illtrap1 Member

factory shells AA wads reloads aa wads Down range makes a blue wad that is the best. less recoil ,

4. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

I believe they were a fad that has passed.
    I had one for a super X1 and neversaw much benefit from it.

You have to load up for it. Pressures generally need to be 10,000 plus to get good ignition.

I sold it to a friend who developed a super pattering load which I believe he used for games.

He tired of it and sold it to a fellow that currently has it for sale on ts.com.

An .800 bore isn't needed for trap.

My .03 cents

ed.

5. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

I have a Baker .780 top single on my 3200. It works well with light 1oz loads. If the big bore thing don't work well then why are some of the big gun makers building .750's What's next .780 or .800?

6. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Stan was on the money as to bigger bores after he started the practice most of the factories went to bigger bores. Beretta went from 721 to 733 in the optima. Perazzi from 18.4 to 18.7 Kolar offers a couple of bore sizes. It sure reduces recoil on the same gun a Beretta I shot the 721 bore and swiched to the 733 right after the reduced recoil was very amazing. I also did not like the Baker Big bore at 800 just too big IMHO I do have a Moneymaker 780 bore that is the best patterning barrel I have. Lots of sporting guys are shooting beretta's backbored from 730 to 745 they just work up to a point I like 735 in 12 gage and 765 in a big bore.

7. illtrap1

illtrap1 Member

FEDERALS NOBEL SPORT NGST 21 FOR 1 1/8 NGST 24 FOR 1 OUNCE CLAYBUSTER CB3118AR RED 8 AA's STS 1 1/8 DRXL 4 PETAL BLUE 1 1/8 BEST WAD OF ALL FOR IT RELOADING, JAMMER JXL1 PURPLE 8 XL 1 NEON GREEN,KEEP PRESSURE ABOVE 10,000PSI dOWN rANGE VERSILITE WILL NOT WORK fACTORY AA's work ok summer and fall and spring but if you rload that blue down range wad is the best, I never had many problems with a SX1 a person did a bunch of research with this from southern ILLINOIS PSI DOSEN't mean recoil I shoot solo 1000 in my silver seitz about 1170fps high pressure no kick. I want to be sure of the best wad I went to my basement and grabbed a bag DOWNRANGE DR-XL-1 1/8 BLUE NO TROUBLE WITH THAT WAD AND FACTORY AA'S IN WARM WEATHER

8. illtrap1

illtrap1 Member

Will trade for sporting clay barrel if real nice, and enough tubes ,my Baker is in 99% shape it has a wire shell catcher and a shell deflector made in the barrel from Baker you still can get new tubes from bakers son I have 2 44thousands and 30 thousands the 30 smokes targets from the 27 I did not like THE 2 Hobbit releases I had sold them the people realy liked them I shoot a silver seitz and a K-80 with release just want to play around shooting sporting clays with a pull trigger if I can,if not I will get rid of all mysuperxs that I have 3 of them ,cell 618-535-1692

9. bigben

bigben Active Member

Tracy hunter, you will not see a big bore shot by the big boys as they most ALL shoot big bores! the std 726 is long gone, krieghoff stock, 735-737, later P guns, same, Ljutics same, Seitz, 745 and up, almost all of the winning scores are from bigger bores today than the 726 of yesteryear.Less shot deformation, less recoil, better patterns are all with the bigger bores! incinerate em!

10. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

bigben, manufacturers make what they think will sell. gimmicks sell. reliable data does not support your claims.

I know you have seen Neil Winston's tests posted here which show no such improvement over 726 bores yet you continue to profess such fantasies.

11. bigben

bigben Active Member

Johnny, no fantasies, just fact, if you have shot with the "big boys" as I have and know their guns, you would not have made such a statement, tests are one thing, 27 yd. handicap is another, Neil professes one thing, why does he shoot a P gun or a Bowen gun with a bore larger than 726? you tell me. incinerate em!

12. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

bigben, I have never shot with the "big boys", you have me there.

"tests are one thing, 27 yd. handicap is another"

I have no doubt you will continue to ignore test data as you have in the past and relish in your fantasies.

"why does he shoot a P gun or a Bowen gun with a bore larger than 726? you tell me"
    I can't speak for Neil, but like everyone else, he buys what's available.

13. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

in tests the smaller bores have the ability to produce tighter core patterns with small shot at longer yardage. The bigger bores produce a more uniform pattern with less shot deformation at yardages trap targets are shot at.

14. bigben

bigben Active Member

Johnny, I have shot many guns with 726 bores, especially the P guns, NONE of my 5 100 straights from the 27 have come from 726 bores, your results may be different than mine, but to each his own, your 726 bores may be different, and you I'm sure are more knowledgeable than I , thread closed all the best incinerate em!

15. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Well.. Neil has done his pattern tests and there is good information in them. I have done my own pattern tests and I can say that a big bore( 780-800 bore) does shoot more holes in the pattgern then the smaller bored models.

I don't know if Neil shot Baker big bore barrels or not.If my memory serves he was shooting BIGGER bore barrels but not true big bore barrels. Big Bore barrels have 12ga chamberes and 10ga barrels. That is true of the Moneymaker big bore barrels and the Mossberg 835 Ulti-mags. The Baker big bore is .800 bore which is even bigger yet.

Several things that I know to be true through my pattern tests. The baker big bore will put more hunting size pellets in a 30 inch circle at 50 yards then any standard bore. This is much more easily seen shooting 1 1/2 of Lead BB's that start with 75 pellets and ends with between 35 to 55 depending on bore size and choke.

I can't say that for trap and 800 big bore will help a regular shooter become a great shooter. I know for certain that no standard 12ga will pattern as good with hunting shells.

Very few guys want to count trap load patterns and as such many are eye balled.

Hunting shells that I put togather my self with a set number of pellets are another story.

I just think the result is easier to see with big pellets in the field. Jeff

16. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

In my post it was the baker 800 big bore i was asking about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

baker big bore shotgun barrels

silver seitz 733
silver seitz 733t