1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Baked Beans

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jakearoo, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

We want a good recipe for baked beans. A can of beans with some bacon in it just ain't cuttin it. Help? Jake

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

My Mother-in-Law, used to add molasses, yellow mustard, ketchup and some brown sugar to good old canned beans and bake them in the oven for an hour or so in her roasting pan. Only the family knew they weren't home baked. Bill Malcolm

3. three-reloaders

three-reloaders TS Member

Put your beans in a bean pot,soaking them over night. If you want gassy beans cook them in that water. If you don't want gas dump that water and add new. Add a little molasses and a piece of salt pork. Cook in oven at 375-400 most of the day. Keep adding water so it won't go dry. I like them cooked that way instead of crock pot.

4. 390-dog

390-dog TS Member

Nothing fancy....A can of Grandma Brown Baked Beans mixed with a can of Cambells Pork and Beans (half the amount of Grandmas). Add Brown Sugar to taste. Add bacon if you wish. 375* for 45-60 minutes. Gets a nice crust on top when done.

You can only get Grandma Browns on the east coast I believe, have never found them here in California. Sometimes I guess I do miss N.Y.....Don Savey

5. rosies dad

rosies dad Member

1 lb dry beans, soak for 2-8hrs.
    add 1/3 cup molases and 4+ cups water, boil beans till nearly tender. The molases gives them flavor and color.
    Add 1 1/2 t salt
    1/8 t pepper
    1/2 to 1 t worchestire sause
    1/4 t powdered mustard
    1/8 cup ketchup-more make em taste like store beans
    chop onion 1 cup or so
    1 to 1 1/3 cup brown sugar- for sort of sweet beans
    ham, bacon or salt pork. Watch the salt if you have salty meat
    Bake covered for a few hours, stirring to check for moisture, add water if necessary
    optional, chili powder or jalepeno's. Cowboy beans were kinda plain but
    often spicy hot.
    Adjust Worchestire, sugar, ketchup and molases to suit your taste. Beans are like chili, everybody has their own style.

6. Straight99

Straight99 Member

Killer Beans

2 large cans of ready made Pork and Beans
    1 lb ground beef
    1 lb Italian sausage cut up
    1 large can of tomato sauce
    1/4 cup brown sugar

Cook ground beef and sausage. Add to beans. add brown sugar and tomato sauce. Bake in oven 2 hours at 300.

For a different taste substitute large jar of Salsa for the tomato sauce and brown sugar. Glenn

7. Dale Z

Dale Z TS Member

I would tell you but it's a family secret... Only my cat knows and hes not telling.....

8. lumper

lumper TS Member

Good baked beans are the bomb ... when they are on they are on and when they are off they just aint worth it.

A little onion, bacon, mustard powder, brown sugar and sometimes a little mollases depending on what brand of canned bake beans your starting with and them bake or simmer them until you think its done and ... well ... WHAMM ... you got baked beans that will give you a yummy in the tummy and a great game of toot and hoot to play with you friends or just yourself latter on.

9. cableguy

cableguy TS Member

Foodnetwork.com

Boston baked beans by Alton Brown.

Good stuff.

10. buckwheat

buckwheat TS Member

Three-Reloaders, Why in God's name would anyone desire beans that are not gas producing? Baked beans are a recreational food, a delicacy to be shared later with friends, who could not dine with you. Along with the great taste, gas, or as I refer to it methane madness, is the major point of eating them. Not to mention, the only exercise I get anymore.
    Dan

11. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

God I hope Shootlow doesn't see this thread. It's bad enough to be around him now. If he ever used some of these recipes, Kansas wouldn't worry about those nasty tornado's anymore, they'd worry about Shootlow's aromatic, uh, shall we say, "indiscretions".

In the old days, the polite southern belle called them "the vapors", but I'm sure Shootlow would probably just call them "my friends" and let it go at that.

He is the only man I know who has a doctor's prescription for "Beano".

In fact, I think the town of Hutchinson has passed an ordnance that makes it mandatory for Shootlow to take it every day whether he has had his dose of daily beans or not.

Hauxfan!

12. Charles L. Schmidt

Charles L. Schmidt TS Member

I use Billy's Mother-in-law's method, they're always a hit at Bar-B-Q's.

cls

13. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

Spice it up with some El Paso Sauce and Jalapeno pepers.

Berettaman7

14. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

We started with the recipe in the Betty Crocker cookbook and used pinto beans and ham. A lot of trapshooters ate lots of our beans (and raved about them)at the Alberta/Montana shoots at the Lethbridge (Alberta) Trap Club back in the day....

15. Beretta 46

Beretta 46 TS Member

I hate beans!

sara

16. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

The Betty Crocker recipe is a good one if you have the time to prepare and bake it. The yellow prepared mustard is what, IMO, gives the recipe its old time taste.

The Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook also has a good and similar recipe for baked beans.

Our family seems to like Bush’s Original Baked Beans with a squirt of K.C. Masterpiece BBQ sauce added to the beans. Warm and serve and it’s ready in under 10 minutes. Only Duke knows the secret recipe.

Another great bean dish is Hurst’s “HamBeans” 15 bean dried bean soup mix. This is a deer camp favorite especially when cooked all day in a crock pot. Add hot sauce to taste. Given the number of deer taken by our camp members over the years, the deer don’t seem to mind the gas. I would not attempt to eat this meal before church.

Many of today’s older adults were raised on recipes from Betty Crocker and Better Homes and Gardens. Before fast food and all of the frozen dinners in the grocery store, mom stayed home and knew how to cook.

Mongo loves beans, any kind.

17. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I like baked beans dark, thick, rich and sweet. Anyone got a recipe for that?

18. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

Irene's Beans

Similar to some of the others here. Always good for over 30 years.

Has baked beans, kidney beans, ground beef, ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, and cut up onion. Maybe some other ingredients I forgot. I'll get the exact recepie and add it later.

19. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Always good for over 30 years ?? Now thats Beans that stay with you ?

KEYBEAR

20. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Here ya go Brian:

Maple Baked Beans

2 pounds beans, either kidney or navy pea variety

8 (1-inch) cubes salt pork

1 Spanish onion, sliced

1 quart Bean Goop, recipe follows

Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.

Fill a stockpot with the beans and enough cold water to cover them. Bring the water to a boil and parboil the beans for approximately 20 minutes. Drain the water and reserve for later use. Place 4 salt pork cubes and half of the onion on the bottom of the bean pot. Fill the pot 3/4 full with beans. Add the Bean Goop. Fill the rest of the pot with the reserved water. Place the remaining cubes of salt pork and onion on top of the beans. Cover first with a layer of plastic wrap, then a layer of aluminum foil. Bake in the oven for 10 hours. Check beans at that time, blowing on them to see if the skin peels back. If so, they are finished. Time will vary depending on your oven and how long the beans were parboiled in the beginning. Cooking time could increase to as long as 12 hours total.

Bean Goop:

2 1/2 cups very hot water

1/2 cup light brown sugar

1/2 cup molasses

1/2 cup ketchup

1/4 cup cider vinegar

1/2 cup pure maple syrup

1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper

In a large bowl or medium-size saucepan, mix the hot water with the sugars and molasses to dissolve the sugars. Then mix in all remaining ingredients. Set aside for use in the Baked Beans.

Yield: about 1 quart

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.