1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Baja Racing History: Great Site

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Chango2, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Note that there are a few threads here in the other topic section re. vehicles including motorcycling.

Here is a great site that I hope those with an interest in early off-road racing in Baja California consider visitng. Lots of other offroad history there, incuding stories about Triumph motorcycles, Steve McQueen, etc.

Check out: www.budanddaveekins.com

2. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

The first Baja run was a publicity stunt by Honda. They wanted to demonstrate the offroad prowess of the new CL Scramblers. Dave Ekins was picked to ride one, and brother Bud was slated to ride the other, but had to back out due to his affiliation with Triumph. I can't remember who the other rider was. There were no fuel stops below Ensenada, so fuel was flown in and dropped off at strategic locations. Dave made the run in a little over 39 hours, and the other rider a few hours later.

It must have worked, because Honda sold a bunch of the CL's. The Ekins brothers are an important part of Southern California motorcycle history. It was Bud on the Great Escape Triumph made to look like a German bike for the jump scene at the end of the movie. The studio wouldn't let McQueen do it, even though he was more than capable!

3. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Other rider with Dave was the the late Billy Robertson Jr.

This and other early adventures by Dave, Bud, and others, plus some history never before presented, are discussed at the website.

The second run spearheaded by Bud Ekins included Bud and Dave Ekins, Eddie Mulder and Cliff Coleman. They were all mounted on ex-works ISDT 1964 Silver Vase Triumphs of 650 and 500 cc's.

I hope you and others have a chance to surf on over to the website; I sure enjoy reading about their stories.

Dave has a great story hanging there about he '67 Greenhorn Enduro, lots of history there!

4. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Thanks, Chango, I'll check it out. I'm a big Triumph fan. Cliff Coleman from JoMo, right? Also part of the '64 ISDT Team with the Ekins, McQueen and John Steen. I'm running JoMo cams in my '67 Bonnie. I have another '67 engine on the bench...from a TT120. Looking around for a frame to put it in. A nice little hot rod bar hopper. Ought to give the Harley riders fits, at least on the short run! Correction...Pete Coleman was from Johnson Motors, I'm not sure about Cliff.

5. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

22Hornet,

Not sure what Cliff Coleman was doing at the time, not from JoMo as far as I know. Nice pic. of Eddie Mulder at that site....Eddie in front of one of his 70 hp Triumph custom twins, flattracker style, parked in his living room!

Coleman, as far as I know, is still working and has a towing business.

Bud and Billy Robertson Jr. are sadly passed now.

There is a nice display, I'm told, at the Petersen Automotive Museum comemorating the 50h Anniversary of the Baja Racing. If you are in the So-Cal area, it is really worth checking out. I plan to as soon as I can, been too busy to shoot or go to museums lately!

Eddie's "story" can be found at the web site under "more stories"..