1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Baitcasting equipment

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Mike K P, Feb 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

I've recently become interested in using baitcasting equipment. I don't fish a whole lot but most of my life I've used spinning reels. I'm looking for recommendations on a good baitcasting reel. They seem a little more complicated to use in order to avoid the dreaded backlash. I wouldn't need a top end one but would want a good quality one with the features I would need. A rod recommendation would be welcome also. My fishing consists of largemouth and some smallmouth. Thanks. Mike.

2. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

Nowadays there are enough baitcast reel models to make your head spin. Regardless, I have some 20 buck and some 90 buck baitcast reels. I don't see much difference. Perhaps long term durability will be better with the high dollar ones? The main thing is to practice and learn how to make the fine adjustments necessary as you change lure weight. I still prefer a Zebco 33 to
    any of the baitcasters! Until you go PRO, I suggest a median priced reel on sale and a hell of a lot of practice! Wow, this could be good advice for new Trapshooters too!

3. Aggie.

Aggie. Member

Okay down here in Texas by far the best reel is a Shimano Chronarch. The older green Shimano curado was great but they say the newer ones are made in Thailand instead of Japan and are not as we'll made. By any Shimano though and you won't regret it. You may not be able to afford the best trap gun made but spending $100 to $200 for the best reel is well worth it.

4. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

"I don't fish a whole lot "

Stick with your spinning reels if they are heavy enough to catch the fish you are after. You don't want a cheap baitcaster!

5. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Mike,

Your best bet I believe is to look at Bass Pro Shops. They have great combos at great prices all balanced and ready to go.

Get yourself one of their catalogs and you will see what I mean. Combos are offered for various weights/actions, cost, usage, etc.

Decide on your budget and pick out a combo designed for what you want it for.

I learned on Abu Garcia 5500C and 4500C reels--not sophisticated, but REALLY great and reliable reels. I still have them and they work great 30 plus years later. Learning on one is tricky, kind of like shooting doubles with a pump. The trickiest part was training your thumb!

Go with a new design--no advanced thumb training really required.

Today's models are much more user friendly. They have flippin' switches, sophisticated anti-backlash technology, smooth as silk bearings, the latest manufacturing technologies, you name it! Stay with the top brands featured in Bass Pro and you can't go wrong my friend. Pick out a couple that interest you and if a Bass Pro store is near, go try them out.

Bait casters give you so much more control in tight spots where a bass man needs to get his bait. No spinning rig can match the total control provided by a good bait caster.

Guy Babin

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Ask Tron. He casts some pretty good bait.

7. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Guy, the 5500 is a reliable reel but I never liked the awkward position of the button. I agree with the control provided by a bait caster but I wouldn't recommend one to a guy who doesn't fish much.

Also, stay away from the Bass Pro brand knockoff's, they are cheap junk, get the real thing. I haven't bought any for several years, they seem to be in a race to make the most expensive model on the planet. I mostly use a Shimano Calcutta or a Diawa Millionaire and TMX, they are silky smooth. The better rods are lightweight [and expensive], which makes fishing all day much more enjoyable.

8. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Aggie has it right, darn good reels

9. BT99

BT99 Member

I have a Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 5000-C that I no longer use. $25.00

10. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

What Aggie said, as far as reels go, I agree. Just remember when you cast a bait-cast reel, you let go of the spool earlier in the forward motion to almost create a looping cast. Also when you cast it, turn the reel sideways, this helps with the drag on the spool, and helps eliminate the spool over-run. Takes a little practice. The newer reels also help, because of the adjustments on them.

11. dhip

dhip Active Member

Most of the BETTER combos by Bass Pro or Cabelas are good starters.As you get more efficient,thne move up to the better reels and rods.Been Bass fishing in several clubs over the years,and I still go back to my old spidercast rods and reels now and then.Don't do away with your spinners though,the Drop shot is still a tough rig to beat,and you need a good spinning outfit for it.Between the drop shot rig,and the Wacky worm rig,I don't throw much else,and can hold my own.

Doug H.

12. alleyrat

alleyrat TS Member

Buy medium or medium heavy casting rod a good reel AbuGarcia or Shimano medium or higher price, take a 3/8 or 1/2 oz crankbait, tighten down spool tension hold rod up so when you back off on spool tension till crankbait falls slowly, use 12 or 14 lb. test and get more proficient Olsen spool tension. Don't worry about distance to you get the feel of thumb pressure

13. Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts Active Member

AbuGarcia Revo's light weight and they cast nice.
    I've been tournament Bass fishing (sponsored by Skeeter boats) for
    25 years. I love Revo's, buy the $129 or the $169 they are great!
    Practice in the back yard first. Don't try to got with to light of a lure at first, haft ounce
    Rattle trap at first with no hooks. You'll be fine.

Bill

14. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

A 5000C is not a 5500C... not knocking the 5000C, but there is a BIG differencce.

Notice I said brand name models at Bass Pro.....

The Japs know how to make really great bassin reels--go figure.

15. glenfish

glenfish Member

I have about a dozen older Calcutta's from Shimano as well as an older Curado either reel will last a lifetime. Collected a bunch of Ambassadeurs but fish with Shimano. Don't try to fish with light baits till you are casting well with the 3/8 stuff.

Glen

16. Texas Crew'd

Texas Crew'd Member

My next purchase will be the revo on a 7' vendetta rod. I know everyone raves about the curado, I have one and I think they are way over priced. For the money I think it is hard to beat the quantums. They are almost always on sale at academy and you can match it with a descent all star rod and have
    a nice combo that will fish well and hold up for around 100 bucks .Keep your receipts as academy will replace them no questions ask if you have issues. Garry

17. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I've repaired reels for about forty years and as some have said get a brand name reel. Do not buy the el cheapo as they don't work well and can't be repaired.(Under warranty the factory throws them away and send you a new one) The Revo's are good reals with high speed line retrieve. You would want to start with a 6.2 retrieve and will work all around. Later you can get a faster retrieve for buzz baits. I've had most every kind of reel made and I keep going back to Abu Garcia's 3600 but they are no longer available. Watch Bass Pro sales and you can pick up a good baitcaster for under $100.00. Carrot stick rods are good but their warranty is not to good. Shakespeare bait cast rods in the $60.00 range are pretty good for starts. If I can help PM me with your phone number and I will give you a call. Jackie B.

18. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

Thanks for all the great info. I'm going to start looking and may want to talk to you down the road Jackie. Thanks again all. Mike.

19. gotbass

gotbass Member

Take a look a Fenwick HMX rods. Really great value. I have a lot of Shimano reels and really like them, got rid of my Diawas. I would give serious consideration to Okuma, but with any brand you are better off buying than midgrade and not spurging on the top of the line. Practice as Bill suggested and learn to cast both overhand and underhanded and then read up on and learn to "pitch". Spinning and baitcasting each have their place and knowing how to get the most out of your equipment will make your time on the water more fun. Mike

20. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Figured I would throw in my 2 cents here.

My personal opinion of the new Abu reels is they aren't as smooth casting as I would expect them to be. I've tried 3 different Abu reels and none of them seemed to be as smooth as my 6 or 7 year old "Cabela's" brand reel I think I paid $50 for back then, when I was just starting out.

Additionally, last summer my brother bought a Quantum reel (don't know the model, but it's blue) for $60, and I think IT is smoother than any of my Abu reels, which all cost over $100...I'm thinking this coming summer, if ol bucket mouth is biting, I'll probably try one of the mid range Shimano reels.

I do however, love Abu baitcast rods.

Josh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.