1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Baikal MP310 Sporting vs Stoeger Condor Competitio

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tdarr1234, May 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tdarr1234

tdarr1234 TS Member

Shoot 75 -150 rounds a week. Two kids in college. Have limited budget. Don't want to buy anyones cast off used shotgun. Has to last 3 years.

What say you?

2. michiganmetzger

michiganmetzger TS Member

I have the Remington Spartan SP310 (which is the same gun as the Baikal SP310)and have been pleased with it's performance. I have over a thousand rounds through it and no issues so far.

Regards,
    Dean

3. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

Look for a Remington 1100...it will certainly last you more than 3 years, parts are readily available, and it will have resell/trade value.

JMHO

Jim C

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Not the best investments. Nothing wrong with a used Browning or that 1100 suggested before. Buy something that's easily fixed.

5. Gunn

Gunn TS Member

I have the Condor Comp. It is a shotgun I keep around for friends to use if they want to try Trap. It has not been a problem at all. Tim

6. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Stoeger!!

7. danthemanx07

danthemanx07 Member

I recently began shooting trap/skeet, and although my reply will not directly answer your question, it may give you something to consider. I thought a while about what I wanted out of a gun, and to me, with a very limited budget as well (professional student), I wanted something that would have value if I needed to get out of it. In your situation, I am not saying it would be impossible, but it would be more difficult to part with either of those guns than it would be with an 1100 or a Browning as suggested. In regards to used guns, I thought of this as an advantage because whatever depreciation the gun had going from new to used was already taken. Also, if you choose wisely and take care of your gun, it seems that most models depreciate VERY little if at all. Check the prices on used Beretta 390's or 303's or Remington 1100's for that matter.

I don't own either of the guns you are looking at, and you may have already considered the points that I have made. If so, please disregard. I only offer them after having made this decision in a similar situation in the past few months.

8. dragracemaniac

dragracemaniac TS Member

How many of those two guns are in the gun rack at the trap club on any given day? There's a reason you don't see them.
    A new Beretta auto or a used Browning Citori or BT-99 can be had for under a thousand dollars and will give you much more than 3 years of durability. Anybody and everybody works on them and parts are readily available. If you decide to sell it in three years, you should get most of your money back.
    Its a no brainer in my opinion.
    Tom

9. greengael

greengael Member

Owned the Baikal mp310 sporting, sold it for 150 more than paid, wish I still had it. Built like a tank, handles in a similar fashion, broke a lot of targets.[smile]For all those "B" gun guys who say they won't depreciate, there are several hundred citoris for sale on G'broker with no bids to speak of. caveat emptor.

10. mag410

mag410 Active Member

I have a friend who says a Yugo was the best car he ever had. Not many other people have that opinion.

I equate these cheap eastern=European & Turkish O/U shotguns with the Yugo. Their low cost is appealing up front, but they are not designed to shoot the volume of shells that clay target shooters shoot. The first thing to go is the triggers.

If you can't afford an used Beretta or Browning O/U target gun, buy a used 1100 and spend the rest on something useful, clay targets and shells.

Michael

11. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Both are junk with no resale value.

12. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

We have had both. the baikel/spartan is a tank, a workhorse but the fit is crude and is very tight to open and close. The stoeger was prettier, smoother but wore out too fast and misfired alot. Soft metal parts. Triggers suck on both. Dumped the stoeger after it was repaired and started acting up again. Still have the Spartan as a loaner and foul weather hunting gun. I WOULD NOT BUY EITHER AGAIN. Consider a Lanber. It is the best of the under a grand over unders. Smooth, good fit and durable. I know 3 different guys that shoot them for sporting and love them. I shot a round with one and was impressed with the quality and feel for the money. Grice's has them on sale. I only shoot semi's at this time but if I was going to buy another new cheap o/u I would pick up a Lanber.

13. Lovemy99

Lovemy99 Member

I have two Baikal sporting guns, one 12ga., one 20ga. I have had both of them for over 6 years now and have put a lot of shells through both of them. Many, many rounds of sporting clays. I have OEM extended chokes for both of them through Colonial Arms.

These things are built tough! The only issue I have ever experienced was one time an ejector screw worked itself out and had to be replaced. Other than that, no issues at all. I would estimate that the 12ga. has over 7000 rounds through it and the 20ga. has around 4000 through it.

IMHO, for the money, you can't go wrong with the Baikal (Spartan) sporting models. Just so you know, I have 1100s, a couple of BT-99s (Hence my screen name), and other higher priced guns. Not knocking any of them. It's just, for the money, Baikals are hard to beat.

14. Gunn

Gunn TS Member

mag410: I have a Turkish Huglu with over 10K rounds, not a problem. I have friends and family same results. Mark DeHaan has sold a lot of them with few problems. They are not high end but they fill a nich and do a good job. Tdarr1234 you might look at these also. Tim

15. dessivanov

dessivanov Member

If it were between these two guns, go with the Baikal. I have 4 Baikals. 1 in each gauge. I love them and they shoot great without any issues. I also have Beretta, Winchester and Browning guns and even though their fit and looks are better, they cannot out-shoot the Baikal. I have over 5000 rounds through my 12Ga and about 3000 through the 20Ga with no problems at all. People here are saying that Baikals are not good guns but these are the people who have not owned them.

16. mag410

mag410 Active Member

Gunn/Tim,

I agree that the Huglu are at the top of this segment, but they have issues too. My ex-father-in-law had a real nice 30" 12 gauge Sporting version. I was impressed with the gun and he let me borrow it. I shot several rounds of skeet with odd results. The bottom barrel had a extended Briley Skeet Beretta Mobil choke, the top barrel an extended Briley IC Beretta Mobil choke. The bottom barrel would only break a target into 3-4 pieces. The top barrel would leave a ball of smoke. The bore gauge told the tale. The bottom barrel bore diameter was .721", the top barrel was .730". The skeet choke measured .722", the IC .712 which are normal for a standard Beretta bore of .721/.722. So with these chokes the Huglu bottom barrel was a -.001 choke (Cyl), and the top barrel .020" (Mod).

The solution suggested by the importer was two sets of chokes! They ended up "fixing" the gun by back-boring the bottom barrel to .730", which also removed the chrome lining.

I have checked several other 12 gauge Huglu's that all had the same .721 bottom and .730" top bores.

This was 10 years ago and I have not checked any recent manufacture guns.

I have checked dozens of quality (Beretta,Browning,Kgun,Kolar) O/U shotgun barrels, I have never found more than .002 difference in bore diameters. And very rarely more than .001"

As to those of you who have shot 3000-7000 through your guns with no problems, good on you. My friend with the Yugo only had about 25000 miles on his car before he wrecked it. Come back and report how they hold up after 25,000-30,000 rounds.

Michael

17. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Neither are particularly good choices. I'm partial to the Stoeger.

However, although you said you "Don't want to buy anyone's cast off used shotgun" in this case, a used quality gun is a far better choice than either of these.

I'd go for a Remington 1100 Trap, a Beretta 390/391/3901 Trap a Browning BT-99, or a Browning Citori Trap.

You will regret either of the choices you have listed. Not right away, maybe, but at some point you will say, "I wish I had gotten the better gun right from the start."

I've heard it many times. This past weekend, in fact.

18. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Take a step back and then look hard at the two - Baikal & Stoeger - admittedly brand new, shiny, and not mishandled by some other shooter. You are contrasting this perception against a used (but possibly not abused) "cast off" by some other shooter which may be a quality, proven, fixable, and re-saleable option. Getting either the Baikal or Stoeger repaired can be a real problem; not so much with an 1100, 870, 390, or 391. Of course, the choice is yours but many see the purchase of entry-level economy models like the two you mention as a "lifetime" purchase...if you buy it, be prepared to own it for a lifetime because they are difficult, if not impossible, to ever sell. That said, your choices are pretty clear. I recently sold a pristine 1100 which did not have a mark on it and appeared virtually new for $400...will serve the buyer many years. Best Regards, Ed

19. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

The Stoeger is most likely a cheap copy of a Browning. I've seen three of them shot until the barrels fall apart - one actually lost the side plates between the barrels.

The Baikal is a 'Russian' made gun - built tough as hell (sort of ugly as hell as well). They are actually a well made gun, just not finished all that prettily.

The Baikal should last a lifetime

20. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

I have 5 Baikals. .410, 28, 20, 16, 12. I have run 25's on the skeet field with all but the .410 (alot of 24's) I pt a ton of rounds through them and they have never failed. Maybe not as smooth as the Brownings, but I have won 5 out of the last 6 club leagues with mine. It's not always the gun, it's the driver!!!!. Baikals have alot of fetures for the money!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

baikal mp310

baikal mp310 vs stoeger condor

baikal sporting shotgun for sale
baikal trap and skeet guns
baikal trap shotgun
baikal vs stoeger 2014
forums on baikal mp310
ussg mp310