1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bags of Winchester Wads Short

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by trinketshooter, Jan 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trinketshooter

trinketshooter TS Member

Has anyone ever had Winchester bags of wads come up short? I bought a case of pink Winchester wads recently. I have used about half of them. The other day I was reloading some shells when it seemed like there were not enough wads for the hulls that I was loading. I counted out 4 bags and each were short between 14 and 24 wads each. I have never counted the number of wads to see if the count was correct but this time I knew that I had 250 hulls to reload. I would think that for the premium price(though relatively cheap in the scheme of things) that you pay for Winchester wads that one could expect to receive at least the minimum number to be 250 like the bag says. Maybe they should lower their price 5 or 10 bucks a case if their machine can't count to 250. Does anyone know if Winchester has a customer service number? Neil

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You have already been serviced. HMB

3. trinketshooter

trinketshooter TS Member

I think you're right. Anyone got any Preparation H! Neil

4. smifshot

smifshot TS Member

must have been heavy wads...they are bagged by the pound..smoker

5. trinketshooter

trinketshooter TS Member

I'll keep buying them. They don't leave alot of residue in my barrels like the green Dusters that I used to use. Neil

6. blkfin

blkfin Member

Must have got an employee discount counted two bags 1 had 252 the other 253. Can't believe I actually counted them. Winter is really boring Mike K.

7. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

Many, many years ago when AA wads were sold in boxes of 100, I counted several boxes in a case. EVERY box had 1,2 or 3 extra wads. Larry Evans

8. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

HMB, Now that was funny. Jackie B.

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I used to get 2 extra wads in every bag of AA's that I loaded back in the early 70's. Don't use them now with the clones all over the place. Break-em all. JEff

10. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

Have the same problem with short count in bags of Winchester wads, the WAA12SL.

I sent Winchester an E-mail with lot numbers explaining the short count I was experiencing. They sent me a letter of apology (yeah) and a coupon for $10.00 off on my next purchase.

Frank

11. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

Another thought on the short bag count on Winchester wads.

I would encourage EVERYONE to count the Winchester wads. This is really not that difficult. Start with an empty bin, add a bag or two (250 to 500 wads). When finished loading you should have 250 or 500 shells. If not, count how many you are short.

Frank

THAN.........

Send Winchester a letter and complain IN NO UNCERTAIN TERMS.

Winchester Division - Olin Corporation

427 North Shamrock Street

East Alton, IL 62024

12. Beaglemutt

Beaglemutt TS Member

We had a case of Winchester WAA12SL wads (pink) that was short by several wads in each bag.

One of the coaches had 1000 primers and 4 bags of wads. He noticed that he ran out of wads but still had at least 50 primers left in the tray so we counted a couple of bags from the same case and they were all short.

It must have been an isolated lot number because we checked the count of several bags from a couple of different cases of WAA12SL and WAA12 (white) wads and each bag contained more than 250. We did not count each bag, but we loaded in 500 shell increments and there were always a couple of extra wads at the end of the batch.

Our dealer contacted Winchester with the lot number from the case and Winchester more than made it right.

The lot number is located on the case label just above the bar-code.

Hope this helps

Kalvin

13. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

I don't have that problem, I buy Downrange wads. Great wad at a good price & Kevin is very supportive of the sport . Colonel

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

I tested the wad count in a bag of Winchester wads. I loaded a bag of wads and then looked at the counter on my press. It indicated 259 and I smiled. Then I boxed the loaded shells and I got 9 boxes full and one box with only 23 shells. I frowned, thinking both my counter and bag of wads were wrong. I finally realized that there 7 shells remaining in my press (4 with wads and three without). My conclusion was that the bag contained 252 wads. I was proud of my ability to make a simple question more complicated than necessary.

I will be pleased to send the two extra wads to anyone who found they had a short bag. Just send me a small, postage paid, box to ship them to you.

Pat Ireland

15. blkfin

blkfin Member

Pat, Had 50 bags with 5 short in each (Ha Ha.) Please send your address so I can forward the postage for my free bag of wads. Mike K.

16. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Of course the question is- was the case sealed when you purchased it? or was the box already open?

I really dont think Winchester is trying to rip you off- just write them a letter if you think you are justified in doing that

They most likely will give you a coupon to apply against any purchase worth more than what you were shorted

regards from Iowa

Gene

17. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

Winchester Wads are packaged by democrats,,,,,,,, makes sense know don't it?

18. RAScott

RAScott Member

Pat , now thats funny.

19. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

True Story...about 15 years ago I was loading Winchester SL (pink) wads from a 5000 wad case. About halfway through the case (the wads came in 250 count boxes then), I dumped out a box and - no joke - an old .32 automatic pistol fell out on my bench. Scared h### out of me. There were 4 or 5 cartridges in the magazine, none in the chamber. Figured whoever got into the open case at some distributor was stealing the gun. Sold it at a gun show for $60. Never told Winchester. Best Regards, Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.