1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Badly rusted chamber.... best way to clean?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SD duck, Jun 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SD duck

SD duck TS Member

Browning woun't eject aluminum headed shells. (gun clubs, etc.) I can't seem to get the chambers clean enough. help appreciated

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Wrap some #0000 steel wool around a brass bore brush, attach to short cleaning rod and chuck the rig in an electric drill. Spray some WD-40 into the chamber as a lubricant and spin away until rust is gone. Keep the chamber lubed after it's clean.

Eric

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Failure to eject might not be a dirty chamber problem. The "aluminum" head on the shells you mentioned is actually steel. If the chamber is too large, the steel expands but does not contract like brass and the shells stick. There is nothing, short of reworking the chamber, that will make the shells eject.

For reasons I do not understand, some brands of discount shells will stick in my gun, and other brands (Estate, Federal Top Gun) do not.

Pat Ireland

4. TC

TC TS Member

Pat, it is the difference in the tensile and ductility of the steel used. Different manufacturers have different specifications and use different suppliers for their raw materials. Sometimes even a different lot or batch of material will make a difference even if the specifications are the same. Tony

5. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

All the Browning shotguns that I know of have had chrome lined chambers for the past several (10? 15?) years. I doubt that you have any rust in a chrome lined chamber unless you have REALLY neglected the gun.

If the gun is older than that, then perhaps rust is a problem, although I'm inclined to think it's the shells.

Easystreet

6. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

There are a few aluminum headed shells out there.. The magnet only picks them up by the primer.. and the head is not brass..

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

make sure your chamber isnt chrome and if it is- use brass brush and teflon based lubricant= chuck in a drill

if it isnt chrom- as stated above- use 0000 steel wood and chuck in a a drill- but rather than wd40 - I would use cutting oil

regards from Iowa

Gene

8. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

The chamber shouldn't be chrome. Browning's do not have chrome chambers. I just lengthened the forcing cones on a brand new XT, and it had no chrome.

Doug

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

PerazziBigBore- Can you give me some more information about the brand so shells with aluminum heads? I would think that they would be rather weak and not safe to reload.

Pat Ireland

10. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

"All current Citori and Gold shotguns as well as the BAR centerfire rifle have chrome-lined chambers."

Copied from Browning FAQ's.

Some guns do not like these hulls, some accept them. All five of my barrels will accept them without incident. I have seen ejectors that were undersized. Check with loaded rounds.

I use a chamber brush on a cleaning rod section checked in a drill to clean all shotgun chambers.

11. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I want to say one of them was a cheapie Winchester Promotional shell.. and there were a few other imported shells.. This was a few years back.. the metal base of the shell is for extraction..as the base has little to do with a shells strength.. They were not worth reloading. I do remember when I tried.. many of the bases got caught in the resizing die until I put a beval on the face of the die.. I do know a magnet would only pick up the hull from the primer..and the heads were not brass.. I'm saying aluminum..as I don't know what else it could have been.. I should have said a thin.. lightweight white metal that weathered like aluminum when they got wet..

The problem I had with them.. after fixing the sizer was in the crimp..the rest of the shell was trash.. but good enough.. The crimps just did not hold that well...

I'll look around and see if I saved any.. If I didn't throw them all out.. I'll post a picture with more information..

I see at the pistol range a bunch of throw away pistol casings made out of a white metal.. I'm assuming it's aluminum.. It holds a 38 Special and 9mm pressure.. so a shotgun shell is no issue on the pressure side..but I don't think they are meant to be reloaded.. Anyway.. All Good.. Mike

12. nrasmus

nrasmus Member

Blazer has made rifle ans pistol sheels with aluminum cases for quite a while.
    Some people claim they are reloadable, but I wouldn't chance it.

I have no clue on the aluminum shotgun hulls, The new gun clubs and the winchester universal's around here are both steel and I can tell you for me the steel gun clubs size a lot harder than the brass ones. I defineately prefer the brass ones, though the steel ones are better than a lot of other hulls out there IMO.

Nick

13. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Biggest problem I have seen with steel head cases are the additional wear they put on the breechface of a shotgun if its the least bit soft.. When the shell pushed against the breechface when you close the gun.. or if you have extractor..both opening and closing.. you can get a concave groove that matches the rear of the hull.. Today's breechfaces must be made much harder than years gone by.. when all shotgun shells had a soft brass base..

14. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Doug,

If you will check the Browning website, they clearly say that Brownings have chrome lined chambers. It has been this way for the past 10 to 15 years.

You say you lengthened the forcing cone on a new XT and it had no chrome. Perhaps that is because the "forcing cone" is the transition area from the chamber to the bore, and is not generally considered part of the chamber. Browning chrome lines only the "chamber".

Easystreet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.