1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bad Winchester Primers--Maybe

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jim Porter, Jun 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Shooting this weekend and had three failures to fire in 100 rounds. The shells were loaded last week with Winchester primers bought two years ago & stored in a dry area inside a closed cabinet. The firing pin strikes were loud enough for the next shooter to hear it. Good depth of indention on all three. All the other shells sounded consistent and broke 25 yard targets very well. We are going to cut them and see if we can find anything wrong. I have been loading for 50 years and have never had a bad primer---interesting!

2. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

I had one yesterday. I also had another about a month ago. Kind of strange, as the gun usually eats just about anything in the way of primers. Remington went thru this a few months back and scrambled to rectify it.

3. Willus

Willus TS Member

I load only Winchester Primers, and have been for a long time. When I load the primer tray I look at the primers, they have what appears to be a off white center. In the time that I have been loading I have found three that had a dark gray center. I called Winchester and asked about the primers, with the dark gray centers. They said send it in, and they would give me a new packet. I did not send it in.

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I have several from a couple years back that wouldn't fire either, so I bought a different brand. No problems with the new ones in the same guns. Strike three!! Hap

5. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

I once had a brick of bad Winchester primers. About 6 or 7 out of a hundred were absolute duds. My squad mates thought this was hysterical and my reloading ability became suspect.

So I left a couple of sleeves on a table at a local club where they gave out Winchesters as prizes. Had some trouble at that club with prizes disappearing and sure enough the two sleeves I left out disappeared.

Next week a person, the one I suspected of pilfering, had a series of misfires. That ended all doubt.

Oh yeah, I still use Winchester primers and haven't had any trouble since that incident about 5 years ago.

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Amen, Bluedotman!!!!!

7. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

I would just like to have the opportunity to buy some Winchester primers.

I find they are pretty scarce right now.

8. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Every manufacturer can make a bad batch. Personally, I've had more misfires with Winchester 209s than with Cheddites and Wolfs COMBINED! I'm sure others have had just the opposite results at one time or another. I have a SuperX2 that barely dents Wolf primers, but I've never had a misfire! Go figure!

AndyH ;-)

9. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I have used Winchester 209's now for several years (Over 43,00 reloads) with no problems at all.

Allen

10. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

oops! that was meant to be 43,000 (forty-three thousand). (My typing and proof reading is getting worse!!

Allen

11. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

jsa3107, you should do a little research before you post! Jim has been posting here for awhile and does not need to get his name posted. Bill

12. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Jim

I have not had a Winchester primer ftf in over 40 years of loading them, that I can recall. I've had a couple of Remingtons fail some years back and a few others. Some were very old and not stored well, but the Remingtons were fairly new. I can't recall any Federals or CCI's failing either. That does not mean it can't happen. Any manufacturer can produce a bad batch of anything. If there is priming mixture in the cups, it could be due to poor manufacturing processes or a storage problem that occurred BEFORE you obtained them. If there is no mixture present, you have your answer. I'd contact Winchester either way, with the lot number and see what they have to say. Careful taking them apart if you decide to do that. A primer can do a lot of damage if it hit's the wrong place. Wear proper eye and hand protection at the very least. Some would advise that you not attempt it, since the risk of injury isn't always worth it.

13. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

A few years ago Winchester had problems with primers during labor problems at their primer plant. I had several bad primers such as described above... no stuff in the primer cap. I now check when turned upside down in the Spolar tray. Another problem is sometimes a primer does not clear the primer removal operation and gets put back in the hull, but when cut open you can see that it was shot. Of course, you can save a lot of money reusing primers. Fred

14. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

It was never my intention to slam Winchester. I am 61 and have loaded shells since about 15 and have loaded tons of them. I know everybody has problems from time to time. My main wonder was if I did something wrong. I just thought it so very unusual after having such good luck for so many years. I will continue to buy Winchester products.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.