1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bad Wads Downrange

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ec90t, Jul 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Are those the florescent green ones?

ec90t

2. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

There are two XXL wads one is pink, it is for 7/8oz and is the best wad I have ever used, the other is orange and is for 1 1/8oz, I have had no expierience with it.

3. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

I believe the XXL-7/8 pink are really intended for, mnnnn, I guess 7/8 oz. You might get a 1 oz to work in a large capacity hull like a Rio or Federal. Unfortunately a wad will not fit all hulls the same because all hulls are not the same internally. When a wad is advertised as 7/8 to 1 oz, that does not mean it will load one oz in every case, only some. Is the 1 oz load you are trying to do published load data? I usually run a few test loads even with published load data before I buy a whole case of wads. I just did buy a case of the XXL-7/8 wads because, with the price of lead, 7/8 oz is what I will practice with. They load great in my Remington hulls with PROMO powder.

4. Express

Express TS Member

Same thing with me. No one ever returned by calls or e-mail. I ended up giving the wads away. Downrange sucks

5. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I can only speak of their 1 1/8 and 1.0 oz. They are good wads and my choice until and if something better comes along.

6. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Sorry for my question, I was thinking of the XL-1.

ec90t

7. 33rocks

33rocks TS Member

I am suprised to hear such negative feedback on Down Range Manufacturing. I just called them last week to get some info on which XXL (pink or orange)wad is the one people are talking about for 7/8 & 3/4 oz loads. I too got an answering machine, so I left a message. Within a few hours I recieved a call back from a very polite and knowledgable man. He answered all my questions and said to call him anytime in the future. He even said I could call him in the evening. It hardly sounds fair for people to read negative feedback on a
    company without letting them know about the POSITIVE experiences others have had.

8. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

I've used about 20,000 of them and will continue to!

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Pink XXL is 7/8 to 1oz for STS,AA tapered hulls. XXL orange is 7/8 to 1 oz in straight walled hulls. The tags are mis-marked is what I was told. Kevin will make this right. Hap

10. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Active Member

Kevin is at the Wisconsin State shoot this week. He said he was taking a trailer up full of wads to deliver so he is most likely kind of busy with it all. But I’d be willing to bet he will get back to you when he can. He called me out of the blue Monday as he was leaving to see if I could make it down to Wi. to meet him finally and make sure I was still happy with the DR wads I’m using.

The XXL wads were made to have the top X compress, set your wad pressure high, really high and see what happens. Don’t think your going to get there though with 1 1/8 as most everyone I know uses the XXL pink and orange for 7/8 oz.

I don’t shoot straight walls so don’t know which wad would work best. I did purchase 1,000 of pretty much every wad he makes this spring to try. Last winter he went above and beyond what he needed to help me get 7/8 oz. XXL loads go off in the cold. After he did a LOT of testing he was able to reproduce the problem and it was the powder primer combination, not the wad. As a workaround he sent me graphs of different crimp depths and I increased the crimp depth to get by at zero and below.

I don’t think you find better customer service OR a better wad anywhere- you do need to get the right wad though.

11. itsnotyou

itsnotyou Member

Called Kevin a couple of times about different wads, he always got right back to me. Love their wads for the majority of what I load I use their wads.

Jack

12. hoghunter

hoghunter Member

HELLO
    CAN I GET THE PHONE NUMBER FOR DOWN RANGE WADS?
    THANKS
    JR

13. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Here is the number on the free sample bag Kevin sent me about 6 months ago. 1-402-463-3415. Have a case of pink DRXXL wads for 7/8 oz. and also a case of neon green DRXL-1 wads for 1 oz. in Remington or Win AA hulls. Am quite happy with them thru a MEC 9000.

14. cueguy2

cueguy2 TS Member

One thing you are right about is that the XXL wad will not work for the loads you describe. I too tried that. I talked to Kevin and he arranged for me to trade in for the WJ wads I had been using. The service was very good. I have loaded about 2 cases so far and have 2 more on the shelf. Works perfect for my loads. I hope you give DR another chance. Anyone can have a bad day. Nubs Wagner.

15. ras

ras TS Member

72298 seems strange you didn't use your name. Maybe you sell a different brand.
    Sounds simple to me, if you cann't figure this one out maybe you should shoot new shells.

Ralph Stanton

16. bwvan

bwvan TS Member

Downrange wads are the slickest, least fouling wads I've ever loaded.

17. DoRaMa

DoRaMa Member

4170 N. Gun Powder Circle, Hastings NE 68901
    Hello 72298 / Richard,

Yes, I did receive your message from 7-18-07 9:08 A.M. At the time of your call I was just a little busy at the WI State Shoot.

I will give you a call in the A.M. (7-19-07)

Thanks
    Kevin @ 402-463-3415

18. IM390

IM390 Member

I've been shooting downrange wads all year and found them to be exceptional, expecially the XL and the 12RPL(windjammer). They don't build up plastic in the choke like many other manufacturer's wads. But it is true, their published load information is poor at best and they are picky with which hulls to load up. Find the right combination and they are excellent at a reasonable price.

IM390

19. darr

darr Well-Known Member

I have loaded 10000 Downrange wads in 1 and 11/8 and I like them alot.Slippery and easy to load not to mention the price is right.Sounds to me like he is going to mtake care of you.That is the way business should be done.Make a mistake,fix it in front of many people,earn a bunch of new business.Good for you and Downrange.

Darr Wilson

20. DoRaMa

DoRaMa Member

4170 N. Gun Powder Circle, Hastings NE 68901
    Richard McLeod,

Would you please give me a call, as I have misplaced your phone number.

Thanks
    Kevin @ 402-463-3415

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.