1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bad Targets or ...?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by trinketshooter, Dec 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trinketshooter

trinketshooter TS Member

I go to my local gun clubs(I am a member of two) and I hear people complain about the targets. I also people complaining at nearly every club that I have been to. They complain about targets at both registered events and just practice rounds. It is kind of hard for me to understand this as I don't think that I have ever been to a club that would not adjust the targets if you ask them to. Is this common everwhere? I sometimes shoot them when they are not right just to prepare for the times when you may receive a bad target at any club unexpectedly. You never know when that might happen. Neil Swenson

2. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Trapshooters are bitchers. If they aren't bitching about the targets it would be something else. The trap boy has a tattoo, the kitchen uses the wrong mustard, not enough wipe cream on the pie, the trees cast a shadow on the field, not enough shade in the summer, etc.................

I ran the registered shoots at our club in the early to mid 90s. Back then we threw 3 hole targets, never did switch to 2 hole targets. Sometime in the mid 90s, 95 or 96 the ATA wanted clubs to start throwing 3 hole targets. That year I had more people complain about targets, and tell me they weren't coming back until we returned to 2 hole targets. We never threw 2 hole targets in the first place, they were always 3 hole. Had shooters tell me they couldn't shoot a good score at our place anymore, like they used too. Nothing changed, they just got it in their head that things changed.

Somebody starts to bitch about targets, then the next guy starts to think about it, and he starts to bitch.

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I like to give the gun clubs a + or - deviation on legal targets. Until they have been set pretty far from the norm, I don't like to fuss about them too much.

4. trinketshooter

trinketshooter TS Member

I agree with both of you. I just feel lucky to have good places to shoot in our area. And again, I have honestly not shot at a club that would not adjust the targets if asked to do so. If the club wouldn't adjust them, then a person might have something to complain about. Our local clubs have been great about adjusting targets when asked. All you have to do is ask. Neil

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Bisi. You caused your own problems. Two holers became the norm long before the 1995 Causbay directive. If you were throwing 3 holers and refused to follow the norm, then you had it coming. You fought it and became cynical toward the shooters.

If you polled your shooters as to their preference and were more honest with them, you wouldn't have had so much trouble. I like three hole targets but I'm in the minority as evidenced by the reaction to the 1995 change.

6. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

When I registered with TS, someone mentioned that I should ignore the rantings, personal attacks, holier than thou diatriabes, brand haters and overall childish behavior since there are some very knowledgeable and helpful trapshooters here.

After about a year, I agree with Bisi who says "trapshooters are bitchers" and that there is less and less collegiality and comraderie every day. I had hoped this was in the competitive spirit, but its really just idiots speaking their ignorance. Indeed, just mention CG in any context and the CG haters hijack the thread.

For ATA or league shoots, our club ATA rep always uses the "t" and "O" poles to ensure the traps are throwing the clays properly. This is part of what it takes to make a good club great. I meke it a point to acknowledge this in front of others and to thank him.

Rudy

7. trinketshooter

trinketshooter TS Member

I am not too sharp, so what is collegiality? Neil

8. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Bad targets.........

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Trap shooters are competitive. When they do not do well, they become unhappy with themselves and this spreads to other things.

There are clubs that set very poor targets and they deserve some complaints. Other clubs set good targets but because of the wind on a specific day, the targets are irregular. Nothing the club can do about this, but we can still fuss about the difficult targets.

Pat Ireland

10. Gunnerandbabe

Gunnerandbabe TS Member

Come on down to Fla and shoot the Silver Dollar. The wind NEVER blows here.

11. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Bisi's been there and knows. He had an interesting observation and unforunately, too true. Shoot often and enjoy while we can, Bob

12. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

I would be willing to bet that at least 75% of shooters couldn't tell a legal target from an illegal one, nor would thge same know HOW to set a "legal" target. Yes, I agree that trapshooters are "bitchers". They just like to do it. As I have said before, most no NOTHING of what it takes to run a club let alone what it takes to put on a shoot. Just stating opinion AND fact. If I didn't enjoy it I wouldn't do it, but if you don't give me CONSTRUCTIVE criticism or be willing to help......SHUT THE HELL UP! OK, I'm off my soapbox now.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Go to the pistol range and shoot steel plates. The wind doesn't bother them and you can paint them any color you like. HMB

14. capvan

capvan Active Member

I thought this game was supposed to be "fun"? Sounds like some people take this waaay too serious. It's a "game".

Bruce

15. oletymer

oletymer Member

As long as everyone shoots the same targets I could care less.

16. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Silver Shooter, My son has owned a CG for almost 3 years. I have plenty to say about their quality but I don't. Also I don,t bitch about targets, so do not put all of us in the same category. Bill

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jerry Beach _ I agree, most shooters don't recognize poorly set targets.

Bruce- The game is fun and I take it very seriously.

Oletymer- Your statement "As long as everyone shoots the same targets I could care less" does not fit with my fun. I am not shooting against everyone else. I am shooting against myself. I don't care what others shoot, I care about my score.

Pat Ireland

18. oletymer

oletymer Member

Pat I agree and I shoot and care about my score with the targets being thrown good or bad.

19. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Let's face it...if trapshooters didn't have something to bitch about they would invent something to complain about!

IF you don't like the quality of target setting ... get off yer butt and volunteer to be the target setter at a shoot!

20. trinketshooter

trinketshooter TS Member

Thanks Yoda, I guess I'll have to work on expanding my vocabulary. Neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.