1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bad Scores

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Brad*90T, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Brad*90T

Brad*90T Member

My scores have been going down for about the last three months. What can I do besides shooting alot of practice to fix this. It has almost gotten to the point that I am ready to quit shooting. I have been told I am shooting to fast, and I tried waiting until the bird peaked to shoot, I did this for three rounds with no improvement in scores.

Brad

2. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

Take a lesson. Nora Ross is great.

3. Lou Tenant

Lou Tenant Active Member

Give it time . Pay attention to the basic fundamentals . I was in the same position for the past several months. Finally on Sunday , I ran 50 in the last handicap . Everybody goes through some type of a slump.

Don't give up....

4. Uncle Screech

Uncle Screech Member

Bad scores, like excellent scores, are just part of the game. Take them both with grace and humility. (I feel guilty writing that because I can't seem to take my own advice, but it's true none the less...)

Relax and take a weekend where you don't keep score, just shoot those annoying little orange b**tards. Shoot a couple rounds of wobble, shoot some wobble from the 27, if you can find them shoot a flat of those "sub-sonic" shells, (900 fps or so), get yourself back to just plain having fun. The odds are not in your favor for trying to "practice" your way out of a slump, most likely you'll just have to ride it out until someone says something that "clicks", you apply it and it works and then you slap yourself in the head for not thinking of it sooner.

Greg

5. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

If you can do it find a trap that you lock onto your "trouble" birds and then shoot the s*** out of them. that's the only thing that has worked well for me in the past. Bill

6. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Lessons...but, always remember, you have yet to shoot your worst score.

7. himark

himark Well-Known Member

How long have you been shooting?

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Slow down and concentrate, best advice I was ever given

9. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Buy a new gun! New gun syndrome will take effect and your scores will go up immediately. Mark

10. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

The last two posts are what needs to be done to change the mind set. Confidence is key. New guns tend to get you back into that groove you lost, in the concentration category. Instead of just showing up to shoot, you need to get that intensity back to do well.

I just changed guns after going through one of my worst shooting summers, as far as scores go. This after shooting pretty much the same gun for the last 12 years. A few trials in between, of every make out there. Seems anything new gives you a better means of concentration, by giving you new hope, and less thinking.

What ever gets you to that point of greatest confidence is what has to be done. Confidence allows the greatest concentration.

11. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Back up on the list and read the last part of Tron's statement..believe me, "IT'S TRUE"!

Big Jack

12. Brad*90T

Brad*90T Member

Thanks for the input guys. I am going to get some of the best shooters at our club to help me. One of them told me last night that I may have a bad flinch. I'm going to try a release trigger in a few days to see if it helps any.

Brad

13. us820

us820 Active Member

If you really want to shoot good scores don't look at your scores.Eye on the target,head on the gun,and a nice follow through.Just make sure you practice these things correctly every time.The scores will come.

14. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Oregunner has it almost right. You should TEST DRIVE a new gun. That always seems to improve my scores. As soon as I BUY it, the scores go back to normal. That's why the safe is full and I'm still shooting crappy.

Bob

15. targetchip

targetchip Banned User Banned

you said:" I have been told I am shooting to fast, and I tried waiting until the bird peaked to shoot, I did this for three rounds with no improvement in scores. "

In a sport where the reflexive response is very important, to slow down is a non sense.
    You have to adjust your technique for your reflexes and stop copying others.

Clean up your mind and put order in your technique by taking a couple of lessons.

Be optimistic and good luck!

Bill

16. bigeoj

bigeoj Member

Brad, Eye dominance can and does change in some people as they get older. Might want to check yours to see if it's still the same. Just a thought. Joe

17. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Make sure you're trigger finger is making contact with the trigger prior to calling. Have someone observe you closely. Do that before switching to release!!

18. johnboy

johnboy Member

Really being able to focus on the bird is the most important aspect of successful shotgunning. You can have the perfect hold points, foot position, fastest lock time, perfect shot size, etc but if you are not seeing the bird clearly when you pull the trigger you are lucky if it breaks. Shotgunning is very simple, head down eye on the bird. All the other stuff makes it easier to break the bird.

Gun fit, POI, is it right?

I was having a real problem with one bird several years ago and a fellow shooter said " That bird is scaring you" and proceeded to tell me I needed to look at it harder. By simply trying to see the rings on the target it is no longer a problem.

90% of the game is mental, the rest is in you head.

19. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

Take it from me you will get used to it!!!! LOL

20. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Never shoot the streak. Don't keep practicing bad habits. Go back to your fundamentals. You must be able to know what you're doing wrong in order to fix it. Don't be afraid to try something new. It's better than practicing bad habits as bad habits can feel comfortable like an old shoe. It's probably not the equipment as with most of us, our equipment is the least of our worries. Only listen to a true diagnosis of your errors not the free advice you often receive. Look within yourself as that's the problem and the solution. BT100dc